Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys -

Starting to think Spring projects, and one disappointment I have with my 2038R is the 57HD bucket I ordered. The loops just aren't that useful and I would rather have my Ken's bolt on hooks back.

Has anyone tried to modify this bucket to remove the loops and put hooks in their place? I don't think it would be terribly difficult, just grind the welds on the loops off and they should come off? Then buy some weld on hooks from Ken and weld in the same place?

I've also considered just welding a set of hooks to the top of the loops, but I'm not sure about that plan.

In my opinion, the 57HD bucket is a waste of money. The loops are practically useless (compared to hooks) and the only other difference is the extra piece of steel on the side edges.

Plan B: Anyone in the NW Indiana area want to trade a 57HD bucket for a standard 57 bucket?

·
Administrator
18,483 Posts
I would leave the hoops, and weld new grab hooks just outboard or inboard of them, really doesn't matter IMHO.

Also note, the 3/8" Twist-Lock Slip hooks we sell work great with the hoops, and they will accept 5/16" chain.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Even without a Kenny twist hook the loops seem like a decent place to put a chain thru and grab it to itself.... yes you can’t just grab the chain onto a bolted/welded hook but it’s nearly as good IMhO.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would leave the hoops, and weld new grab hooks just outboard or inboard of them, really doesn't matter IMHO.

Also note, the 3/8" Twist-Lock hooks we sell work great with the hoops, and they will accept 5/16" chain.
This is a really good idea. I like the idea of having them slightly outboard. I could even go with the good-ol' bolt on hooks since I'm not too confident in my welding skills. Off to order a set now :).

I have a set of your Twist-Lock Slip hooks too. They do work well, just still not as convenient as the plain old hooks.

Reactions: glc

·
Administrator
18,483 Posts
I could even go with the good-ol' bolt on hooks since I'm not too confident in my welding skills.
Remember that bucket has a double-walled top, please read the FAQ regarding that.

Reactions: glc and blustnmtn

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could even go with the good-ol' bolt on hooks since I'm not too confident in my welding skills.
Remember that bucket has a double-walled top, please read the FAQ regarding that.
Are you sure? I don't think it has a double wall top. How can I check?

·
Administrator
18,483 Posts
Are you sure? I don't think it has a double wall top. How can I check?
Go look at it? LOL

Seriously though, you need to look and see it the top and bottom of the roof of the bucket has a space between them. It will be obvious when you look closely.

·
Super Moderator
5,631 Posts
Look at it. It will be boxed. At least that's the way mine is. Maybe they do it different with the 57".

·
Registered
937 Posts
This bucket does not have a double walled top. This bucket is not a true HD bucket. It only has the top loops and a brace on each side. I can take pictures here in a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s hard to see in the pictures. You can see that my finger nearly makes it through the top of the bucket in the little holes.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
This bucket does not have a double walled top. This bucket is not a true HD bucket. It only has the top loops and a brace on each side. I can take pictures here in a bit.

It’s hard to see in the pictures. You can see that my finger nearly makes it through the top of the bucket in the little holes.
That’s not the usual HD bucket then-they have double wall tops, bolt on replaceable cutting edges, and other soft that set them apart from standard buckets. That appears to be a standard bucket from the pictures.

·
Administrator
18,483 Posts
Interesting. I had no idea...All the "HD" buckets I've seen have the double walled top, you can even see it in the pics I posted about with the Twist-Lock hooks. This is like a "hybrid" bucket LOL.

·
Registered
937 Posts
That’s not the usual HD bucket then-they have double wall tops, bolt on replaceable cutting edges, and other soft that set them apart from standard buckets. That appears to be a standard bucket from the pictures.
It’s not the standard bucket. It came with a standard 57” bucket. I had him put the “57 HD” bucket on. This bucket has the outside braces and the top loops that the standard bucket does not have.

I’m actually glad for this because I didn’t want the extra weight of a true HD bucket. I guess it’s like a medium duty bucket.

·
Premium Member
13,024 Posts
Correct - sort of. JD has apparently gotten a little "loose" with their "Heavy Duty" terminology.

On the new 2-series loaders they offer two 57-inch buckets. From the listed weight they appear to be the same other than one has the loops welded on top and a little extra bracing (17 lbs more). The true Heavy Duty bucket is the 61-inch with holes for bolt-on cutting edge. As you can from the weight there is more material used.

BW16609... 57" Materials Bucket.. 206 lb.
BW16787... 57" HD Bucket with Loops.. 223 lb.
BW14764... 61" HD Bucket with holes for bolt-on cutting edge.. 273 lb.

Reactions: Zebrafive and glc

·
Premium Member
13,024 Posts
Interesting. I had no idea...All the "HD" buckets I've seen have the double walled top, you can even see it in the pics I posted about with the Twist-Lock hooks. This is like a "hybrid" bucket LOL.
Hmmm... what tractor was that bucket attached to? Did the one you used for photos have holes for a bolt-on cutting edge? Unfortunately the loader attachments document floating around is too old to list the newer buckets with the welded-on loops.

They only show the 57-inch loop and non-loop bucket options under the 2-series loader. The 3-series Build You Own only lists the 61-inch and 73-inch bucket options.

So somewhere along the line there was a double-walled bucket with top-loops.

·
Administrator
18,483 Posts
Hmmm... what tractor was that bucket attached to? Did the one you used for photos have holes for a bolt-on cutting edge?
It was on 3039r as I remember. We were at Mutton’s Open House when I took them, it as 3 years ago. It was the full 60” HD bucket just like I have on my 3720 but without the hoops.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

That's exactly what mine looks like. I guess it's 'Heavy Duty' because they welded an extra piece of plate to each side? I can confirm, this is the 57" 'Heavy Duty' Bucket that is offered as an option for the new 2 series. (BW16787)

IMG_20190223_103131.jpg

·
Administrator
18,483 Posts
I guess we'll call this the "Medium Duty" bucket then...thanks for the education :good2:

Reactions: jgayman and glc

·
Premium Member
13,024 Posts
Reactions: glc and Kennyd
1 - 20 of 25 Posts