Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys so, a somewhat sideline talent/job I have been working on with a friend of mine off and on for the last 2 years. ( he is a full time farmer/Awesome Painter me I have a day job as well) The tractor belongs to a friend of mine who wanted it to be in better shape than it was in 1958! This is a 1958 JD 620 Row Crop. I have the motor bored .090 over installed new pistons, new wiring new paint new pretty much everything. We have rebuild anything an everything. This tractor has faced us with many challenges, but we have overcome most of them. Well here are some pics and a video enjoy and feel free to ask questions!

And The First start on the new rebuild!

Its not quite done, but I will be back at it on my next days off. We are getting very close to having it done.

Reactions: Vern1026R

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
That's really nice. Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,282 Posts
Wow very cool!

I love seeing those gigantic pistons on the older 2-cylinders:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Cool, really cool, very cool, super cool.

:good2::thumbup1gif::good2::thumbup1gif::good2:

Great project!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! This tractor had parts from several 2 cylinders which made getting to this point hard, but I think in the end the owner will be more than happy. I just wish I had more time to devote to it and that it had not been 2 years to get this far. But it runs and drives, not to get the sheet metal done!.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Worked on fenders today, they are now ready for primer, it wont be long and green paint will be flying on the tins.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Great job! Love the old 620/720/630/730s, spent many a day on them back in the early sixty

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im hoping all the tin work is in paint by my next days off work. Then the final assembly can start!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope to be finishing this project up with in the next week or two. Per the owners request it got Flat top fenders installed last weekend, ( some late model 20 series tractors did get 30 series accessories becuase it was all the dealers had in thde 58/59 time frame. but I still think they look funny on a 20 series they do look good just different.) most everything will be wraped up very soon!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Sounds great! And I,as I'm sure you are as well, cant wait for the unveiling of the final make-over.....but needless to say......... The Randy's (and everyone)wants pictures! R('s)MMDI:tongue:

BTW: did ya'll keep a tally on costs?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Being as this is not mine, we have a tally of our labor in it as well as parts, since it is not done I will refrain from posting the totals yet but, I can say that the shape this tractor was in should not have been one to be restored, that being said we turned coal into a diamond!

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
Can't wait to see the final product!:good2:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The hood is on.... The hood is on...the hood is ON! :thumbup1gif: Which on a 620 also means the gas tank is in, full day of it tomorrow again! Its getting close!

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
:munch::munch::munch:

You're making us wait to long. :mocking:

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
The hood is on.... The hood is on...the hood is ON! :thumbup1gif: Which on a 620 also means the gas tank is in, full day of it tomorrow again! Its getting close!
He's teasing us with details. I can't wait to see and hear all about it:yahoo:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is a teaser pic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rut row

1 step forward 2 steps backwards.... :flag_of_truce::flag_of_truce::flag_of_truce::flag_of_truce:

Put coolant in it and the upper radiator pipe has a hole in it we didn't see before.. From the looks of it Deere has the parts in stock just need to find a pipe to fit in as it is no longer made by deere. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

·
Registered
40 Posts

I've got a restored 630, with similar staright stack on it as yours. Love the sound of that dude when it starts cold. You guys have done a nice job, bet you both learned a lot too.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This project kinda got stuck on the
Back burner with spring planting here. Will post the final pics when we get back at it, repainting a piece and finial touch up. Then decals.

Sent from my IPhone 4s An AT&T not so 4G phone via Tapatalk.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts