Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced an issue on a 5M where the tractor has no hydraulics whatsoever immediately after starting the engine? Mine has done it 6 times. Loader will not lift, 3pt hitch will not lift, no power steering, nothing. It is a known issue apparently with Deere. Solution #116682.
My machine is basically brand new...almost 30hrs, so I’ve ruled out the basics...filter clogged, low oil, etc etc....which I have checked the level btw. Any help? Deere is pointing to a breather cap being clogged ( I see no chance of that on a new machine) missing suction tube...o-rings leaking on the suction manifold, and finally a quality issue with the main hydraulic pump....the latter seems like the most probable cause to me.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Check the hydraulic filter. If you're close to scheduled hours, change It.

Post back what the problem & solution was...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will. I’m leaning towards the missing suction tube or a bad pump. The tractor is nowhere even close to a oil/filter change with less than 30 hours on it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
....are you saying there is no hydraulics at startup...then after a period of time you get hydraulics? ....at any point do you get hydraulics? if so what do you do to get hydraulics?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
During the initial start-up, sometimes, not all the time, there is no hydraulics. Then I shut off the tractor, hit the brakes a couple of times, then re-start the engine and everything works normally. But, the last time it happened, it took 2 times of the procedure mentioned above before the hydraulics functioned normally.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 1st start of the day, I have never experienced a failure. Once it happened after I had been moving some dirt and parked it for 20 minutes...then got on it and nothing..no hydraulics. Killed the engine and immediately started it right back and everything was normal. The last time it happened, I had been running a 5’ rotary cutter, shut off the tractor for like 10 minutes to talk to dad, re-started it, ...no hydraulics.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My 5105m does the same thing. I do not have an owners manual and am only venturing a guess. I’m thinking it is a electronic control to disconnect the hydraulic pump while starting the engine. In other words the engine would spin faster to start then the electronics would engage the pump.
My tractor has always done this right off when I started it, I’ve owned it for 7 years now.
I would be interested to see what other people have encountered?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree w/u jrob730. It seems electrical? Thats why its intermittent. I’d still like to hear feedback from additional GTT members if they have had similiar experiences and what the final solution was. I’m busy with hay right now, and taking the tractor to the dealer that already has a 4 week backlog is not what I need right now out of a brand new machine.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hmm...brings back some old memories! My 2011 5075M had a warranty recall on the main pump. Don't recall the exact hours, but it had no hyd function on startup, too. After shutdown (required a couple of times as the pump got worse) I'd have hyd functions. Changed filter and all fluid. No help, there. Pump finally just quit. IMHO - get it to the dealer. See about a loaner tractor. You don't want the system to load up with metal filings that might get past the filter...

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Hmm...brings back some old memories! My 2011 5075M had a warranty recall on the main pump. Don't recall the exact hours, but it had no hyd function on startup, too. After shutdown (required a couple of times as the pump got worse) I'd have hyd functions. Changed filter and all fluid. No help, there. Pump finally just quit. IMHO - get it to the dealer. See about a loaner tractor. You don't want the system to load up with metal filings that might get past the filter...
Didn't you have an issue with the casting in the 3 point that was causing hydraulic issues too? I can't remember.
Glad to see that your still kicking.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Didn't you have an issue with the casting in the 3 point that was causing hydraulic issues too? I can't remember.
Glad to see that your still kicking.
Thanks, arlen. Yup, still making hay @ 60 degrees N latitude! No, the only other problem with the 75M was the shifter adjustment wouldn't solidly lock into Park. Local dealer fixed that, too. Great tractor up to just over 600 hrs when I sold it to buy the 5115M shortly after I switched most of my hay over to round bales. Local goat baron (over 100 head) bought it and it's been doin' a good job for him!

·
Registered
971 Posts
There are no electronics involved that would cause all hydraulics to not work, only hitch is electronic. The breather could be defective , so try leaving fill cap loose to see if that makes a difference. Oil filter shouldn't be clogged, but since you can inspect for the suction tube with filter off, I would replace it when inspecting for suction tube. If tractor is new, dealer should be doing this for you...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are no electronics involved that would cause all hydraulics to not work, only hitch is electronic. The breather could be defective , so try leaving fill cap loose to see if that makes a difference. Oil filter shouldn't be clogged, but since you can inspect for the suction tube with filter off, I would replace it when inspecting for suction tube. If tractor is new, dealer should be doing this for you...
Thanks for the feedback jd110. I’m gonna swing by the dealer in the morning and see if the backlog has decreased and they can work my tractor in for service. Just been so busy with hay, just aint had time to get it back to em.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the feedback jd110. I’m gonna swing by the dealer in the morning and see if the backlog has decreased and they can work my tractor in for service. Just been so busy with hay, just aint had time to get it back to em.
Hello Mastermechanik19. Congrats on the new tractor.
My uncle has a 2009 5085M that I have used many many times. Great tractor. It too experiences this "no hydraulics" upon starting up. However, I have learned that when starting, take about 20 seconds and just let the tractor run without touching anything. After that point, the hydraulics work fine, and the tractor doesn't have any issues. It has done this for the the three to four years he has owned it. When you are trying to get something done, 20 seconds seems like a long time, but it seems to be what is needed to let the tractor's hydraulics work properly. I don't know if it is a pressurization thing that needs to happen upon starting, or what, but see if that works. The 20 second delay works every time on his M. If the hydraulics do not work after 20 seconds, I would agree that there is certainly something wrong. Congrats again on the new tractor. Those M series are nice tractors!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agreed! I really like this tractor..just gotta get past this issue. Dealer picked it up last monday..and I spoke with the service manager this past friday and he is telling me they are changing the suction manifold and some O-rings.
We’ll see what happens. Thanks for the insight on how your tractor responds..I too experienced that exact situation only once with the delay and then everything function..but the loader was very jerky however.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Agreed! I really like this tractor..just gotta get past this issue. Dealer picked it up last monday..and I spoke with the service manager this past friday and he is telling me they are changing the suction manifold and some O-rings.
We’ll see what happens. Thanks for the insight on how your tractor responds..I too experienced that exact situation only once with the delay and then everything function..but the loader was very jerky however.
I'd be sure to ask the service manager how the main hyd pump checked out... The pump might not perform up to specs as the impeller could be worn due to cavitation and loss of fluid while operating. Good luck!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks..will do. They have had it going on 3 weeks now

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well..got my tractor back today. Dealer hauled it over in a pouring down rain this morning:sick:. Been out of service for 23 days. Anyways..all they changed was a suction manifold and some O-rings, and if that don’t fix it, then replace the pump. I’m not a happy camper in regards to how this issue has been managed.
If it is indeed a known quality issue with these pumps, in my mind I’m thinking there must be metal particles that have contaminated the entire system or will contaminate when the pump experiences a catatrophic failure...possibly way down the rd and out of warranty. Then at that point the dealer hands me a bill for $10 or $12k to replace the pump and disassemble and clean the entire transaxle.
Somebody tell me I’m blowing this way out of proportion...

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
IMHO due to high cost of some farm tractors/equipment one would think "lemon law" should apply to these but sadly to my knowledge doesn't apply.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You would think so. I’ll stop short of saying its a lemon, but IMHO the resolution from Deere should have been exchange the pump and suspected related components from the get go...not hours and hours down the road when the pump has self-destructed and contaminated the entire hydraulic system on a brand spanking new machine. IDK..I’m just thinking logically...somebody rein me in if my train of thought seems un-realistic or I sound like I don’t know what I’m talking about...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts