Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend wants to buy a 5x8 trailer. He told me I can use it any time because he wants to store it on my property because he has not place to store it. He was looking at Lowes because theirs is around $600. I saw one on TSC advertisement that they were nocking $100 off of it and it was $600 with the discount. I did some reading of the reviews of it and they were more saying that the wiring was bad and that the metal was coming off on some and some were not square etc.

Do you guys know where one could find a quality 5x8 trailer for hauling wood and other stuff? My friend can be pretty tight with his money at times so I tell him often you get what you pay for and he has found that to be true. We live in NJ so if you recommend someplace in CA that wont probably work to well for us.

Also neither of us weld at this point so we can't make our own. I would almost do that if I could.

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
Watch Craigslist for one. It'll take more time and you'll have to be ready to jump on the right opportunity, but you can get a smokin' deal on a decent trailer.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,785 Posts
5 x 8 is on the small size and for what you say the use is......buy it and call it a day. Chances are really small you will find a good trailer that size that is worth bringing home for much less.

Reactions: robpm

·
Registered
161 Posts
Unless you and your friend are the exception, you will eventually overload the trailer. Now that I have a 12,000 lb. trailer it reduces the chances somewhat, but give me time brother, give me time. When you have a trailler and something to haul, you WILL overload it eventually. "nuff said about that. This trailer is pretty much at the bottom of the food chain. Looking at the TSC line-up, the $900 6x8 trailer is a far better value. Treated wooden floor, heavier, bigger, better railing and a 3500 lb Axle compared to a 2000 lb. That is so much more bang for the buck for $300. It is also $100 off. Why don't you both throw $450 into the pot and you will be much happier at the end of the day. A trailer is not a bad thing to co-own. It only gets used so much, license is cheap, and anything that needs to be done,improved or repaired probably won't take more than an afternoon and a few cold ones. That will be the best $300 dollars ever spent.
I am a long time auction goer, and here in N. IL., used trailers are like gold. They often sell for prices approaching new. In many cases you are, IMHO, better off to buy new. New tires, lights, wiring, bearings and brakes. All of those things cost $$ to fix. As one gets further south, trailer prices get lower near the hot spots of trailer manufacturing like AL,MO,KY & TX etc.

Reactions: robpm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Watch Craigslist for one. It'll take more time and you'll have to be ready to jump on the right opportunity, but you can get a smokin' deal on a decent trailer.
exactly!!

Bought a 5x8 off CL for $400 decent wood floor and tires, the light where shot thou. $22 at Walmart fixed that.

Considering I may use this once a month maybe, I figured why buy new. If I was using daily then new would be the way to go.

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
:wgtt:

Craigslist sure can be a friend and a bad addiction all at the same time.:lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts