Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a CTA 60" plow however I have come across a 6 ft plow for the JD Quick Hitch that is much cheaper. I am wondering if anyone has used a 6 foot snow plow on their 1 series and if so did it work OK? I would be using the plow for smaller accumulations as I do also have a 54 blower.

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
12,599 Posts
I am looking at buying a CTA 60" plow however I have come across a 6 ft plow for the JD Quick Hitch that is much cheaper. I am wondering if anyone has used a 6 foot snow plow on their 1 series and if so did it work OK? I would be using the plow for smaller accumulations as I do also have a 54 blower.
I went to a 6ft plow blade on my 2520-with the quick hitch. it lifts a-ok. but..................when angled to either side--the corner tends to hit or rub the ground then. only complaint i have about. so when picked up to travel, i just bump the plow some back to center. drop it again, and bump it back out. :good2:

plus) over the 54 inch plow it once was--no more running over the windrow of snow.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
It really depends on how deep the snow is,, and how steep your property is,,

I have plowed snow with my JD 650, and a 7 foot landscape rake,, the tractor is 17HP,,,
I think the tractor would have stopped if the snow were 2 -3 inches deeper,,

·
Super Moderator
5,284 Posts
I'd be very leary of putting a 6' plow on a the JD QuickTach hitch.

Will it work? Yeah, probably. But I've managed to pop the angle cylinder on my 54" plow by bumping a large stone while plowing too. A 6' plow is significantly larger than anything Deere has designed to work with the QuickTach hitch. You'd be applying a lot of pressure on the hitch that it was never meant to carry.

Now, if you were mounting using a plow with it's own JDQA mount on your loader, yeah. I'd do that. IMO, the QuickTach hitch is the weak spot here.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I concur with what JimR says above. Light to moderate snowfall it will work. But you have to keep in mind that in going to the 72" width you are exponentially adding quite a bit of shear force to that small pivot pin. Are you under any John Deere warranty? If so then no for sure. Just be prepared/expect to have some breakage in some part of the quick hitch. That miserable little quick hitch frame really is the weak link in that set up. Good luck.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a poly blade so it is lighter than even the 48" blade--and I only want it for light snows where the snowblower is no good. For me there is no substitute for the nice clean edges left by a snowblower! :)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
this may sound crazy but if the price is that good buy it and cut it down to what works
I did that with the backblade on my 2305, got a great price on a 60” back blade, but am using with a 47” snowblower.
It stuck out too far for me to get close enough to my driveway edges with the combo. Got out a sawsall and voila a custom 50” backblade. Also added 1” thick conveyor belt in place of steel blade to protect asphalt.

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
I have used one 87" wide for years......first on the 455 and then on the 1025R. Plowed snow from 2" deep to 18" deep. Plowed SUPER WET HEAVY snow just last month, just have to be realistic in your use of the machine.

Will it work? Yes, no doubt. Pay attention as its a lot wider than the machine.

Last year I plowed the equivalent of 1,000 driveways with the set up in the picture (22 to 24 driveways 45 times in one year plus the equivalent of 8 miles of private road.)

I rebuilt the quick hitch on my 455, but it was 20 plus years old and had lot of use.

I did break the angle cylinder mounting pin on the QA hitch on my 455, but that was when the plow trip failed to work because the J pins had snapped back in place, but that was a 10 minute fix and the pin I replaced it with has a handle on it so it's even easier to replace next time.

Just make sure the plow can trip and does trip. Be realistic and don't get nuts with trying to move the entire blade width when the snow is wet and heavy. Go half blade if necessary which is maybe 5% of the time I have used it.

I have used it now for over 5 years.........Once you use it, you will likely want to sell the 54" blade as you won't ever use it again.

Also, the QA hitch won't allow you to carry the plow in the up position with the plow angled due to the reduced lifting height, so just carry it squared to the tractor, that's an easy adjustment. Angle the plow when its on the surface of the road or driveway.

Feel free to ask me anything about it. Glad to answer.......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts

Plowed across the backyard with the blade raised about 6" just so it wasn't scraping on the grass, this snow was probably 12" to 15" deep when I made the first pass. The dog standing on the left of the picture is a large German Shepherd and you can see the pile of the snow relative to her height, plus the snow bank I went through at the top of the picture to get across the lawn was piled from previous plowing and that was about 3 feet tall when I went through it.

To give you an idea of the width, here it is in the garage where I keep it and that's a standard single garage door 9' wide and 7' tall.

Here it is while plowing , note the piles on the right side of the driveway all the way to the road. I also plowed the entire cul de sac with the same plow while plowing the driveway.....

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
Do you know the manufactuer of the plow? I think you mentioned in one of your other posts that its a "Poly Plow", which should make it very light. I am mostly curious because I haven't ever seen a 72" wide plow which was poly that was made to fit the John Deere Quick Hitch mounts.

Poly plow would be nice. I would put the rubber squeegee on the bottom of it which means you will have to either buy one or the material to make it yourself. If it were mine, I would put the rubber plow edge on it and also consider the top flap as I also added. It rolls the snow and keeps it from coing over the top of the blade and onto the quick hitch.

One thing to watch for with the quick hitch, regardless of the plow size, is the snow accumulates on the top of the hitch and then it can turn into ice blocks in the portion of the hitch where the plow angles, sometimes limiting it's angle ability. It's easy to fix, just remove the snow from the hitch. But the same situation will also place the angle cylinder hydraulic fittings at risk of being damaged from the ice. The ice can and will bend or break the fittings causing a leak.

The 1 series directs the exhaust at the rear of the plow blade, which actually can make the ice situation worse depending upon the weather. If it's really cold, the exhaust will melt the snow just enough to cause ice. If the temps are closer to freezing, the exhaust will soften up the snow and make sure if the tractor is stored outside or in an unheated area that the hitch doesn't ice up while setting. I have had more ice issues with the hitch than issues with the size of the plow, by far...........

·
Registered
149 Posts

Plowed across the backyard with the blade raised about 6" just so it wasn't scraping on the grass, this snow was probably 12" to 15" deep when I made the first pass. The dog standing on the left of the picture is a large German Shepherd and you can see the pile of the snow relative to her height, plus the snow bank I went through at the top of the picture to get across the lawn was piled from previous plowing and that was about 3 feet tall when I went through it.

To give you an idea of the width, here it is in the garage where I keep it and that's a standard single garage door 9' wide and 7' tall.

Here it is while plowing , note the piles on the right side of the driveway all the way to the road. I also plowed the entire cul de sac with the same plow while plowing the driveway.....

Ahem, cough cough, you forgot to insert pics Sulley.

And to original OP, was going to say wait till Sulley replies about using a bigger plow on the 1025. He is the one that has the most experience there. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,403 Posts

And to original OP, was going to say wait till Sulley replies about using a bigger plow on the 1025. He is the one that has the most experience there.

I was looking forward to what SulleyBear had to say as I built my plow set up from what he had to say about his plow and many other's on here and their setups. I have just been waiting for it to snow so I can try it! Might get enough to try it out this weekend? Kind of hoping so. Any amount of snow or ice makes it hard for me to walk in but not being able to try out something I waited for a long time to get done...

WB

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'd be very leary of putting a 6' plow on a the JD QuickTach hitch.

Will it work? Yeah, probably. But I've managed to pop the angle cylinder on my 54" plow by bumping a large stone while plowing too. A 6' plow is significantly larger than anything Deere has designed to work with the QuickTach hitch. You'd be applying a lot of pressure on the hitch that it was never meant to carry.

Now, if you were mounting using a plow with it's own JDQA mount on your loader, yeah. I'd do that. IMO, the QuickTach hitch is the weak spot here.
JimR I’m not sure how to post my previous posts but if you dig through my feed I did a rough write up on how to repair the QH angle cylinder

·
Registered
306 Posts
I was at my dealership today picking up a new chainsaw. They had a 1025r with a 6’ loader mounted plow, made me think that I needed one to. For home use I’d say you’ll have zero issues running it. I run mini skids that have 6’ blades the minis are lighter with less aggressive tires and don’t really have traction issues on fair snowfalls

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts

And to original OP, was going to say wait till Sulley replies about using a bigger plow on the 1025. He is the one that has the most experience there. :bigthumb:
I added them and then used the "Manage Attachments" window to delete the double posting. Screw it, here are the double pics.

Plowing to the street, piles to the right. Also plowed the cul de sac (I always do plow it and the next 800 feet of the road)

87" of plow on the pallet waiting to be installed. I set the plow there with my pallet forks to attach to the front hitch. Imagine my chagrin when I couldn't pick the plow up off the pallet with the front quick attach hitch, but that's another issue.....

Plow on the tractor sitting in the 9' wide garage door. The regular 54" plow is sitting next to the water bottle rack. Anyone need a brand new 54" plow with the rubber squeegee edge and the plow markers? Make you a decent deal as long as you pick it up.....No shipping.

Two of my K9 kids playing in the path I plowed across the lawn. Instead of walking through snow more than knee deep carrying 50 pound animal feed bags, I plow a path out to the barn across the lawn.......I did plow it down to the grass as time went on and the rubber edge doesn't tear the grass up, but its best to not stress dormant grass with such behavior as it takes some time for the area to blend back into the lawn in the spring.

Plow on tractor, pulled out of the bay where she sleeps.......Its warm in there. Never below about 45 degrees, even when it 0 outside. Melts everything off the tractor and plow over night, which is always nice. Especially the hitch because of the potential for ice issues as I mentioned above.

This is one of the toughest drives I plow, steep grade, left to right pitch on the drive and I have to push all the snow UP the drive and stack it to the right side of the parking area. The tractor and plow handle this without much of a challenge, except the other night, it rained and froze and then snowed on tip and it was so slick a new 4wd Jeep couldn't make it up the hill. I did without chains, but it wasn't as easy as it normally is. After I applied the snow melt and it worked a few minutes, back to being a piece of cake.....tractor is at the top of the hill in the picture, where I pile the snow....

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts