Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1953 John Deere 40 on 6 volts, I want to use a radio on in can I use a 12 volt radio with the 6 volt system or not. Any ideas on radios I can use

·
Premium Member
10,691 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,691 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
jgayman is right, first things first, is your tractor positive or negative ground?

you may have less money in it if you just converted it to 12 volt, battery not included haha

that being said...if you dont want to drill holes to mount an umbrella, where are you going to mount a radio?

·
Premium Member
10,691 Posts
jgayman is right, first things first, is your tractor positive or negative ground?
I should have looked it up before asking... Tractor Data shows the Model 40 as Positive ground.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I'd convert the tractor to 12V. You can have a starter/generator shop convert your 6V generator to 12V. I put Delco 10si alternators on both my antiques when I converted them to 12V but the alternators are hidden.

12V battery technology is light years ahead of 6V. You would also be able to power GPS, inverter to power a laptop, charge your cell phone. I run 12V electrically heated gloves with my old tractors pushing snow in winter. I'd like to get 12V socks, jacket and pants but those are more $$$$$.

·
Registered
740 Posts
OPTION 2: For less than $75 you can get a nice pair of noise reduction earmuffs with built in radio/headphones. No tractor alterations are required and they can be used while operating your other power equipment too. For what it's worth, I love mine.

If you are planning on doing much more than parades with your 40, you are going to need (not want, need) some kind of hearing protection. My mom was the first to notice that my grandfather, both my uncles, and I all have hearing loss in our left ears... and that when we work in the fields we all tend to sit sideways on the tractors.

Food for thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts