Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1023e with a 60" MMM and where the ground is un-level it scalps in the center. I wonder why JD didn't put a nose roller in the decks. Has anyone done this? I really hate cut out that piece of flat metal that scrubs the ground. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
10,957 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
It is why I changed my order from a 60 to a 54, as the 54 is pretty easy to add a front center roller to.

Do a search, I've seen at least one thread where someone added a center roller to a 60" deck.

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
The strange thing is when I had my 1023 w/54d I was constantly scalping, but now with the 60d on my 2025 I have yet too. I prefer the heavy curved piece on this deck compared to the straight steel bar on my 54d.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Most scalping issues really have little to do with a center middle roller. In fact, depending on what the reason is for the scalping, e.g. cresting a hill, the center middle roller will not stop scalping.

Most scalping issues can be resolved simply by:
1. Do not try to mow with the mmm too low. This is a common problem with a 60D since the 60D in fully raised position is at about 4", and ideal mow height is about 3", so the 60D only lowers one inch from fully raised to mow height.
2. Try to mow in a direction/path that does not cause the mmm to crest a hill or mow across the crest of a hill.

My yard is almost entirely hill and has plenty of places that would cause scalping. Over the years, I have figured out ways to mow so that the tractor does not straddle over a hill crest so the mmm.

I have mowed my yard with a JD 318 with a 50" mmm, JD 430 with a 60" mmm, JD x748 with a 62" mmm, and now with a 1025R with a 60D. Every one of these mmm would scalp if I tried to mow with the mmm too low, or mowed in a direction or path that cause the tractor to straddle the top of a hill.

·
Premium Member
10,957 Posts
My yard is almost entirely hill and has plenty of places that would cause scalping. Over the years, I have figured out ways to mow so that the tractor does not straddle over a hill crest so the mmm.

I have mowed my yard with a JD 318 with a 50" mmm, JD 430 with a 60" mmm, JD x748 with a 62" mmm, and now with a 1025R with a 60D. Every one of these mmm would scalp if I tried to mow with the mmm too low, or mowed in a direction or path that cause the tractor to straddle the top of a hill.
I know this is unrelated but my yard is about as uneven as it gets. Dips, valleys, holes, ridges, hills, etc. I have an X500 and chose a 48" deck specifically for my conditions and it will not scalp no matter what direction I mow. Even when cresting a sharp hill the deck bottoms out on the wheels and won't scalp. It has four anti-scalp wheels and a roller in the front. I typically mow 3 inches.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 1026 with a 60 in deck .I added a roller to my deck because of scalping. got the plans from a thread by Levi a couple of years ago. do a search and you should find it.
No more scalping and no problems taking deck on or off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts