Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Load-Quip Rock Sifter Bucket Attachment — 60in. Bucket, 750-Lb. Capacity, Model# 29211716 | Skid-Steers Attachments| Northern Tool + Equipment

Anyone ever use one of these, be it on a skid steer or tractor? Did it get rocks up and sift soil easily? Was the process painfully slow or were you able to cover a decent amount of ground over time?

This is lightest rock type bucket I have found that is under $1k. I need something light because I want to mount it to a 2210. At 260lbs, it is still a load for a SCUT but... better than the buckets I have seen that weigh 400-600lbs.

I figure I can get some artillian mounting plates and get it welded on to this bucket and then use it. I have a need to pick up rocks on about a two acre lot before seeding. I have rocks everywhere. I am torn between maybe using this set up and renting a rock hound like another forum member suggested. My research on the rock hound says it only goes down about two inches. I have rocks below the surface as well as above so I am not sure if it will clean up all that I need cleaning up.

How much clean soil does one need in order to just plant grass seed?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, the JD one I looked at said it wasn't for SCUTs FWIW. Yes, that's a fine screen but I have rocks of all sizes so...the smallest spacing found on a regular rock bucket was 2 inches but then the bucket was too heavy our out of my price range.

The bucket on the link looks promising. I wonder what it weighs. The 3 inch spacing is a concern (or maybe I am worried about nothing).

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
69project, I've always used a landscape rake, they will dig down 2" with ease. I drag the rocks around until there is no more dirt with them. When all the rocks are in a pile I use the FEL and scoop them up.
Seems to me you would probably need a rake after you're done with the sifter bucket anyway.
If I had a pile of rocky dirt maybe I'd consider one of these, for a few seconds.

·
Premium Member
14,899 Posts
I'm with Gizmo, my FIL has a 4'x4' piece of heavy 3/8" screen mounted to 2"x2" . When our church would put candles out at Christmas we would save the sand from one year to another . We found pieces of candle in the sand so he came up with the idea to sift the sand. Works great for sand so thinking it would work for your project , may be a slower process than just racking . Guess it depends on how much you're planning on doing and your health.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
69project, I've always used a landscape rake, they will dig down 2" with ease. I drag the rocks around until there is no more dirt with them. When all the rocks are in a pile I use the FEL and scoop them up.
Seems to me you would probably need a rake after you're done with the sifter bucket anyway.
If I had a pile of rocky dirt maybe I'd consider one of these, for a few seconds.
I have used my landscape rake to no avail so I am exploring alternative methods. I rake rocks like crazy but there is an endless supply of them.

What I have done is rake rocks/debris on the surface (and what the rake drags up) then I scoop up the windrows of debris. That leaves it looking rock free but if I go till the soil or if it rains, I have a fresh crop of rocks. My soil is nothing but clay/rocks and super acidic so I have been adding some chicken litter and lime to help it out (advice from the dirt person at Southern States based on our soil analysis).

When my septic guy installed our drain field I was hoping that the rocks were not that deep, he went 3-4 feet when he put in the drain lines and it never became just soil. Rocks all the way through it.

I have section that is nicely tilled and would be ready to plant seed minus the bazillon rocks in it. They range from 1/2 inch to 6-8 inches. Handpicking them up would take up the rest of my life and I am not even 50 yet!

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
Load-Quip Rock Sifter Bucket Attachment — 60in. Bucket, 750-Lb. Capacity, Model# 29211716 | Skid-Steers Attachments| Northern Tool + Equipment

Anyone ever use one of these, be it on a skid steer or tractor? Did it get rocks up and sift soil easily? Was the process painfully slow or were you able to cover a decent amount of ground over time?

This is lightest rock type bucket I have found that is under $1k. I need something light because I want to mount it to a 2210. At 260lbs, it is still a load for a SCUT but... better than the buckets I have seen that weigh 400-600lbs.

I figure I can get some artillian mounting plates and get it welded on to this bucket and then use it. I have a need to pick up rocks on about a two acre lot before seeding. I have rocks everywhere. I am torn between maybe using this set up and renting a rock hound like another forum member suggested. My research on the rock hound says it only goes down about two inches. I have rocks below the surface as well as above so I am not sure if it will clean up all that I need cleaning up.

How much clean soil does one need in order to just plant grass seed?
if a fella could change out that screen to say a bit bigger holes in it. i think it would do the trick to start with. the problem with Northern tool is their high shipping rate's.

i have too been looking for a way to get rid of my rock piles i have here. when the ice age was happening, and the glacier was carving out this hollow, where i live, i think it just left all the rocks in this little space:banghead:

i want to build a dirt shaking screen:good2:small enough that i can pick it up and move around easily, someday-maybe.

the problem i see with a rock bucket mounted on my loader, is u got to shake the living heck out of it to get the dirt to go thru it. i think-maybe not. never seen one work in person. good luck. keep us posted on ur project-ok.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
When my septic guy installed our drain field I was hoping that the rocks were not that deep, he went 3-4 feet when he put in the drain lines and it never became just soil. Rocks all the way through it.

I have section that is nicely tilled and would be ready to plant seed minus the bazillon rocks in it. They range from 1/2 inch to 6-8 inches. Handpicking them up would take up the rest of my life and I am not even 50 yet!
I'd give it a skim raking and sow the grass seed. Most smaller rocks/stone will push right in while mowing.
We have similar ground here as you describe, rocks/stone forever.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
I know times have changed.....but back in the day that's what us kids were for. If you even looked bored, let alone say it, you were sent to pick rocks in the field.
:nunu:yeah-now that i am a adult, i hate them rocks with a passion.

i rolled this palce where i sowed my grass seed, threw hay over everything, and went from their. but i have rocks everywhere here. the big ones goes to the creek sides. but then grass grows up tall between the rocks.:banghead::banghead: it's a win situation here:lol::lol:

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
eesh, that looks awful fine.. unless you're sifting rocks out of sand, i'd worry it'd get clogged to quick. have you looked at regular rock buckets? a quick search turned this up:

John Deere Compact Tractor Rock Bucket 54" | Redline Systems Inc - Equipment Attachments - Custom Fabrication - Hutchinson, MN
Lewisc1985,

I took the plunge and bought one today. Hopefully it gets here by the end of next week. Matt at Redline Systems was very pleasant to deal with.

We will see how it works when I get it. :bigthumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts