Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 430 with 60 inch deck. Got new blades, washers and bolts to install. Is there a torque spec for installation?
The deck on my X750 calls for 50 ft/lbs. So I'm guessing its going to be about the same for the deck on the 430 ? :unknown:

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
If it’s the same bolt diameter it should be.

I have never torqued a mower blade.

Reactions: X750

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm of the same opinion as rydplrs. If they are the same bolt size, 50 should be adequate.
BTW, were you shocked at the price of the cupped washers? I need one but can't find that large size for less money. I lot of my go to net sources don't even list that one.

tommyhawk

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm of the same opinion as rydplrs. If they are the same bolt size, 50 should be adequate.
BTW, were you shocked at the price of the cupped washers? I need one but can't find that large size for less money. I lot of my go to net sources don't even list that one.

tommyhawk

Yes, high dollar for sure...12.01 each. Almost as much as the blades...and they're not even green !

·
Registered
400 Posts
X750, I just happened to see a PDF of TM1594 over on WFM, that supposedly covers all (?) the 60" decks. There was a torque spec listed for the blade bolts of 83 ft. lb. My 420 is an '83 model and the deck is in the earlier s/n range, so I believe it to be original to the tractor. The bolts are .500-13 UNC, grade marking not legible. JD lists them as GR. A17D which is probably their own code for one of the National Standards, such as Gr. 5 or Gr. 8. From the torque chart the .500-13 Gr. 5 lists 80 dry, 63 lubed thread. Grade 8 as 115 dry, 88 lubed. I would suspect the newer decks have metric threads and the torque spec would be close but slightly less if smaller and similar in grade.

I will likely just honk mine down with a box end wrench as usual, then see how close I came using a torque wrench. On the smaller 46" cut decks I am used to doing this way, no blade bolt has ever loosened so far. They seem to just get a little tighter.

Sure doesn't hurt to do it the right way with the torque wrench though.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
Tommyhawk,

What size is the washer you need? I have a few kicking around but I didn’t label which ones came from which deck.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I have a 60 parts deck from my 430 and have the washer you need if Keith doesn't have one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts