Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up my very first tractor Saturday, it's a 455. It has a 54" mower deck that has been welded/repaired. The owner told me that a 60" deck would be much better suited for the 455. So I did some searching and found this 60" mower deck. But the person selling the mower deck says he doesn't know what tractor it came off of. He also says he can't read the serial number. I'm wondering if anyone here could possibly identify this and let me know if this will or will not fit a 1998 John Deere 455?

60-mower1.jpg

60-mower2.jpg

60-mower3.jpg

60-mower4.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a 455 with a 60" deck and the one in your pics is not going to fit yours. Looks quite a bit different. I'm sure someone on here will know what it fits.
Thank you for the quick reply. I was trying to look at the John Deere parts website but didn't really see any images of the 60" deck. The front of the 54" deck looks quite a bit different, so I wasn't sure about this one.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
No bueno my friend. The gearbox is way off and the arms are much different. I'd say earlier sub compact belly mower deck. Just a guess. Regardless, a totally different animal. Here's what you are hunting for. The pre 98 decks had yellow metal covers as opposed to black plastic and the one in this pic I posted has a plastic deflector. Someone added it because they all had yellow steel deflectors like mine in my aviator pic.

ON EDIT:

That deck is from a JD 4200 The covers are missing but everything else is a match.

Here's one cheap. Not sure how close buuuut

https://providence.craigslist.org/grd/d/john-deere-60-mower-deck/6591541750.html

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No bueno my friend. The gearbox is way off and the arms are much different. I'd say earlier sub compact belly mower deck. Just a guess. Regardless, a totally different animal. Here's what you are hunting for. The pre 98 decks had yellow metal covers as opposed to black plastic and the one in this pic I posted has a plastic deflector. Someone added it because they all had yellow steel deflectors like mine in my aviator pic.

ON EDIT:

That deck is from a JD 4200 The covers are missing but everything else is a match.

Here's one cheap. Not sure how close buuuut

https://providence.craigslist.org/grd/d/john-deere-60-mower-deck/6591541750.html
Thank you for this info and the photos. RI is a bit too far of a dive (I’m in Pennsylvania), but I’ll keep my eye out.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
The suspended arms on the deck pictured by the OP means it's likely from a much "taller" tractor than the 455. Probably even a 2 series tractor, 2304, 2320, etc.

Certainly won't fit the 455.......

I have a 455 with the 60" deck and that is a GREAT set up.....Cuts very well......great for edge trimming as the deck extends from the side of the tractor.

If you have any questions or issues with your 455, feel free to send me a PM or one of the other proud 455 owners on here. I know that machine like the back of my hand as I have had it for over 23 years and over 2,600 hours of use. It's a tank and tough machine. Plus I have the technical service manual for the machine, which is worth it's weight in precious metals (just maybe not quite gold as it's a heavy book.:laugh::laugh:...)

Incidentally, you can still buy the 60" deck brand new from Deere. I see them online from time to time. Not cheap, but it's likely as indestructible a Garden Tractor mower deck that you can buy. Also, since it is NOT a drive over deck, it's depth creates the ideal air lift and makes the cut result very, very good.

I strongly encourage you to put "Gator Blades" on your deck. Just be careful as many of the brands of Gator Blades require a metal washer as a shim for the blades to be tight on the deck spindles. Make sure any after market Gator Blades, such as those by Oregon or other manufacturers are the correct blade thickness at the mounting flange on the blades.

You will never regret owning that machine......I would bet on it.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
I also want to mention that there are some people who will tell you that you can't mow uneven lawns with the 60 deck and not scalp it.Well, I beg to differ and I know from personal experience. If the deck is set up correctly and you mow appropriately, the deck can do a great job on rolling lawns. Here is a picture of my front yard from two angles, cut with the 60" deck on the 455......

I also now mow this same lawn with a 60" deck on my ExMark Laser Z. zero turn mower.......I think the cut looks pretty good. Notice the rolling surface, in multiple direction. I contoured it with a bulldozer myself when I built it, as I didn't want just a flat front yard..............

IMG_20180523_190853195_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180518_104807288_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
SulleyBear is absolutely right, I'm in the club who's used both decks on the same lawn. I kept the 54" because at 61 years old, I couldn't lift the deck and wrestle it around like I could when I was 30. I needed to be able to move the deck around, and the 54 is MUCH lighter. Both decks are awesome, and cut well, but the 60 is built like a tank, and mows the best of any deck I've ever owned. I've heard all kinds of armchair advice about the 60 not being good for rough, rolling or uneven lawns, and I gotta tell ya, they're dead wrong. It handles those types of lawns with ease. I'd choose the 60 over the 54 if it weren't for the weight. I think those same guys are the ones who tell people that a 425 is better served by a smaller deck, also not true. The 425 will handle the 60 and tall grass with noooooo problems at all.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I concur that both are great decks and the 60 does a great job, period, if it's set up correctly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I probably have about 5 acres of open space to mow and it's mostly flat-ish with a rolling hill, stream, and a pond. I'll keep my eye out for a 60" deck close-by. I used to mow this as a teenager with a much smaller tractor and it would take me a god 6-8 hours to mow.

A front-end loader would also come in very handy. But I'm just taking one step at a time.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
I probably have about 5 acres of open space to mow and it's mostly flat-ish with a rolling hill, stream, and a pond. I'll keep my eye out for a 60" deck close-by. I used to mow this as a teenager with a much smaller tractor and it would take me a god 6-8 hours to mow.

A front-end loader would also come in very handy. But I'm just taking one step at a time.
Make sure when you find the deck used, it comes with the front mounting bracket. The other brackets necessary are already on the tractor and the rear lift point on the 60" mower deck are built into the top of the deck. So, the mower with the front adjustable mounting bar should be all you need to get mowing. Assuming, of course, the PTO shaft is included as it should be.

If you buy a used 60 inch deck, make sure to change the fluid in the gear box before you get started using it. You don't want to tear up the gear box as they are hard to find and new, they are about $600 to $700.........

The bracket you will need is item number 8 in the illustration below.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Here is the pre 1998 deck. (1994)

I can not get the 54" to cut as nice.

Love my 60"

20180519_173059.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts