Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just got my grand fathers 60 home for the first time in five years. When I got it home I spun the engine over and it went through both compretions real smooth no catching or anything. Two days later I went to go do it again and I get little movement in the flywheel when trying to spin the engine again( about one inch of turn each way) what could cause this? Is it something I should be worried about? I drained all the old oil our and put five fresh quarts in to stay safe. Now it also got very cold over this two nights that I hadn't touched it but the whole coolant system had been drained. Thanks for your help guys ideas are welcome and needed! :unknown:

·
Administrator
20,838 Posts
Be very careful turning over a seized engine forcefully below freezing. If there is water in the crankcase it could easily be in the oil pump and have it frozen. If you forcefully turn the motor over you could shear the oil pump drive shaft or coupling and you wouldn't know until it's possibly too late. The slop in the coupling would allow the motor to turn over just a little bit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be very careful turning over a seized engine forcefully below freezing. If there is water in the crankcase it could easily be in the oil pump and have it frozen. If you forcefully turn the motor over you could shear the oil pump drive shaft or coupling and you wouldn't know until it's possibly too late. The slop in the coupling would allow the motor to turn over just a little bit.
When I say turn it over I'm just doing it by the fly wheel, would that hurt it too much? And if it is water in the oil pump what's the best way to go about solving this problem? My friend and I figured maybe fresh oil and a block heater, to melt the ice and then drain everything out from the crank case and then repeat if needed, is this a good idea?

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
When I say turn it over I'm just doing it by the fly wheel, would that hurt it too much? And if it is water in the oil pump what's the best way to go about solving this problem? My friend and I figured maybe fresh oil and a block heater, to melt the ice and then drain everything out from the crank case and then repeat if needed, is this a good idea?
If you were going to do that I would remove the upper and lower rad hose and flush with a garden hose.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you were going to do that I would remove the upper and lower rad hose and flush with a garden hose.
The coolant system is already dry, it was drained out to prevent any damage when it sat. Do you think the block heater idea will work? Sorry if I'm asking simple questions here, it's the first time I've worked on an old jd like this.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
A Nipco heater blasting on it would certainly thaw things out. I think to get the water out of the oil system, maybe a mixture of solvent alcohol, and ATF and/or diesel fuel. That should pull the water out and get in solution.

·
Administrator
20,838 Posts
Getting the ice thawed and drained out is your goal. Can you put a tarp over it and apply some heat? once warmed for a while, drain out what you got and pay attention to what's draining. Don't forget the oil filter cartridge.

Turning it over by hand probably did zero damage. These things are pretty tough.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A Nipco heater blasting on it would certainly thaw things out. I think to get the water out of the oil system, maybe a mixture of solvent alcohol, and ATF and/or diesel fuel. That should pull the water out and get in solution.
The thing is I'm not 100% if it is water, that's just been the only thing I could come up with that would almost compleatly lock up the engine in two days. And what kind of mixture of those things should I put in the crank case if it is water? How long should I let it set? And if I do that would I need the heater? It's hovering around 30 to 35 around here now.

·
Administrator
20,838 Posts
Did you pull the spark plugs out by chance?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Getting the ice thawed and drained out is your goal. Can you put a tarp over it and apply some heat? once warmed for a while, drain out what you got and pay attention to what's draining. Don't forget the oil filter cartridge.

Turning it over by hand probably did zero damage. These things are pretty tough.
Icant get it inside now because I have nothing with enough power to push it or pull it, I can get a dipstick style block heater, I think that'll do the job of thawing everything out if it is water.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
The thing is I'm not 100% if it is water, that's just been the only thing I could come up with that would almost compleatly lock up the engine in two days. And what kind of mixture of those things should I put in the crank case if it is water? How long should I let it set? And if I do that would I need the heater? It's hovering around 30 to 35 around here now.
I would think heat would be good. I would use 50% alcohol, maybe 25% diesel, 25% ATF. That will suck up allot of water. I have used it to remove water from hydraulic systems.

·
Administrator
20,838 Posts
Icant get it inside now because I have nothing with enough power to push it or pull it, I can get a dipstick style block heater, I think that'll do the job of thawing everything out if it is water.
IMHO dipstick heaters suck... You need heat directly on the bottom of the engine block. A magnetic block heater on the bottom would be better. There is a lot of mass to warm up and it will take a while for that heat to thaw any ice, several hours. If the tractor sat outside for 5 years without running, it very likely has water from condensation or even from rain in it. Very common on a motor that's been sitting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would think heat would be good. I would use 50% alcohol, maybe 25% diesel, 25% ATF. That will suck up allot of water. I have used it to remove water from hydraulic systems.
Where would I get the alcohol an how much should I put in all together?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
One thing I've learned about 2 cylinders that have set up a while is to remove the valve cover and make sure the valves aren't sticking. If a valve is stuck, it can end up getting bent along with the push rod and tappet. A new valve cover gasket is cheap compared to the cost of bent parts and a new head gasket. Let's not forget your time and labor if you do the work yourself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One thing I've learned about 2 cylinders that have set up a while is to remove the valve cover and make sure the valves aren't sticking. If a valve is stuck, it can end up getting bent along with the push rod and tappet. A new valve cover gasket is cheap compared to the cost of bent parts and a new head gasket. Let's not forget your time and labor if you do the work yourself.
How would I tell if anything is damaged, I had spun the engine over a few days ago and I ddnt feel any catching or snagging, everything was real smooth..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IMHO dipstick heaters suck... You need heat directly on the bottom of the engine block. A magnetic block heater on the bottom would be better. There is a lot of mass to warm up and it will take a while for that heat to thaw any ice, several hours. If the tractor sat outside for 5 years without running, it very likely has water from condensation or even from rain in it. Very common on a motor that's been sitting.
Where would I get a magnetic heater?

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Where would I get the alcohol an how much should I put in all together?
You can get solvent alcohol at any well equiped hardware store. I buy it in 1 qt or 1 gal steel cans. I would mix up few quarts, dump it in, turn it over by hand, let it sit, turn it over some more, sit, drain. Maybe do it again if you are anal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can get solvent alcohol at any well equiped hardware store. I buy it in 1 qt or 1 gal steel cans. I would mix up few quarts, dump it in, turn it over by hand, let it sit, turn it over some more, sit, drain. Maybe do it again if you are anal.
The thing is I can't get it to turn over by hand, will this work with a heater? Think that could get everything to free up?

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Where would I get a magnetic heater?
I have seen them at Napa.
I take it you don't have a Nipco type heater? That would get the whole damn block hot. They are a must have in minnesota.
If the alcohol solution submerged the oil pump, then it would melt/disolve the ice. I don't know how the johnny poppers are laid out down there.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts