Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neighbor offered me use of his 60" tiller to redo my lawn. Just chatting tonight with him we think it may be too big for a 1025.

Any experience offered to do it or should I just take him up on the offer to do it for me with his tractor?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
Neighbor offered me use of his 60" tiller to redo my lawn. Just chatting tonight with him we think it may be too big for a 1025.

Any experience offered to do it or should I just take him up on the offer to do it for me with his tractor?

I've seen a lot of people use a 54" tiller and it does just fine. Just have your loader on and maybe a bucket of dirt to ballast it out. 60" will probably work. But I'm not sure. Do you know the weight of the tiller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
167 Posts

If the tiller is too much just remove 1-2 sets of tines. GL

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If i have to mod the tiller I'll probly just slip him $50 to do it for me which he will refuse to take.

Reactions: UBNT

·
Registered
123 Posts
Fits the pto shaft length work with yours? I think it would depend on the soil. I have a 4' tiller on my 2305 and it will bog in our heavy clay if the garden is wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I have a 647. Never had it bog on mine. I am sure it will handle it, you just may need to use low with light peddle pressure at full till.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: UBNT

·
Registered
123 Posts
I do use low and have to slow to let it catch up. Like I said, heavy wet clay digging deep in the garden. Couldn't do that with anything bigger than the 647. Just doing a shallow till in sandy soil the big tiller would be fine I think. All depends what you are doing and conditions. I'd be pretty tempted to just let him do it. That way you don't wreck his tiller if there is a rock. You may still need to pay to fix it but at least he did it to his equipment and not you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Where is Levi? He runs a 60" and says it works fine. Hear it in his own words here:

[video]https://youtu.be/UaU-zFl0ljk?t=7m58s[/video]

·
Registered
421 Posts
Let's see, you have a choice here.
On one hand you can go thru the trouble of unhooking it from his tractor, hooking it up to
yours, hoping it will do your job, hoping it's not too much for the tractor, taking forever if
it does work, unhooking from your tractor, and hooking it back up to his tractor.

On the other hand you can have him do it, no unhooking or hooking up, know it will work,
and get it done quickly. Then you slip a $50 in an unmarked envelope into his mailbox, or
other creative way.

IMHO, I personally would not use a 60" on that small of a machine. It's way to heavy and
not recommended by my dealership.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I run a 47" tiller with my little 316 and it handles it (slowly), I think a 1025 would run a 60" if you take it easy.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He's gonna come over and do it while I am at work. I need to get some herbicide down to kill the lawn and I need to check the PH and see if it needs adjusted first.

Once that is done he said give him a couple day window and he'll run over and knock it down. I have to fix-up my spreader first, pickup my sprayer, get 70 bales of straw, 100# of grass seed, 150# of fertilizer, whatever I need to adjust the PH if it needs it, finish grading off the high spots and reshaping the landscape and have the stump ground out before I can do anything with the tiller. Hopefully I'll be set for next weekend to get it tilled.

.....at least it is a short list.

Reactions: Levi and rtgt

·
Premium Member
9,753 Posts
He's gonna come over and do it while I am at work. I need to get some herbicide down to kill the lawn and I need to check the PH and see if it needs adjusted first.

Once that is done he said give him a couple day window and he'll run over and knock it down. I have to fix-up my spreader first, pickup my sprayer, get 70 bales of straw, 100# of grass seed, 150# of fertilizer, whatever I need to adjust the PH if it needs it, finish grading off the high spots and reshaping the landscape and have the stump ground out before I can do anything with the tiller. Hopefully I'll be set for next weekend to get it tilled.

I'd hate to see your "long list". :lol:

Make sure you mark where that stump "was". Your neighbor will want to avoid that area....

Reactions: Levi and BBarn

·
Registered
301 Posts

Vettori's in Saxonburg for seed and fertilizer. I've had great results with what they call the Vettori's Special. It has rye and fescues. They have anything else you would want for seed.

Probably a good move on the tiller, not that your tractor couldn't handle it but if his PTO shaft is too long it could do some serious damage to your rear end / casing.

Are you checking the PH yourself? Please share...

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Late to the party. I have a 60" that I bought when I bought the 2210. Used it for 10 years with it. Now I have the 1026r and still have the same tiller and still use it. Works just fine. Use it! Don't be bashful about it. As with all tillers, put some weight on the front. I use 6 suitcase weights on the front, more would be even better.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Soil type will be the biggest factor. My 48" tiller will push my 1026 in the red clay we have. Its like tilling concrete.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts