Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this thing about 3 years and it’s a beast, EXCEPT for the clutch. I’d like to put a newer style clutch on it. Just wondered if anyone had done this and had any suggestions.
Anyone tried it? Assuming I’d have to cut off the non splined part. It’s 21 spline.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
May I ask what's wrong with original clutch? Which brand clutch does your cutter have(Walterscheid or Bondioli)

I own a JD 709 manufactured in 1984 that still has original JD clutch plates.

·
Premium Member
8,780 Posts
How would you retain the new clutch if you cut off all but the splines? I am guessing drill a cross hole, if the shaft is not to hard to drill.
Have you rebuilt the original clutch?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
May I ask what's wrong with original clutch? Which brand clutch does your cutter have(Walterscheid or Bondioli)

I own a JD 709 manufactured in 1984 that still has original JD clutch plates.
the threaded tip of the shaft in pic is bent. I’m concerned that it’s going to break off. The clutch itself has had a lot of rust issues. I’ve cleaned it with a wire wheel, but still severely pitted. I’m not dead set on changing to a newer style, but want to know if it is even an option.
Murph

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How would you retain the new clutch if you cut off all but the splines? I am guessing drill a cross hole, if the shaft is not to hard to drill.
Have you rebuilt the original clutch?
I was hoping the newer clutches with the clamp style bolts would hold it in place. I’ve cleaned it and replaced the friction disks. The steel thin plates between the disks could stand to be replaced.
Murph

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
May I ask how someone managed to bend input shaft? I'll bet shaft isn't going to break off unless you can see a crack in shaft I don't see. I don't know what clamp style SC you're referring to but I'll guess the input shaft requires a recess made into it for bolt to fit in similar to recess in tractor pto shaft..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
May I ask how someone managed to bend input shaft? I'll bet shaft isn't going to break off unless you can see a crack in shaft I don't see
I have no idea. Maybe I’m worrying too much. I’m retired and now do tractor work for extra cash and I need to keep her reliable. I was bushhogging Tuesday when the lock nut came off. Thought I could slap her back together and finish, but the cone shaped thrust washer was in 5 pieces. So bought a new lock nut and had to order the thrust washer. In your opinion, are these good clutches? If so, I’ll just rebuild it and run it.
Murph

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no idea. Maybe I’m worrying too much. I’m retired and now do tractor work for extra cash and I need to keep her reliable. I was bushhogging Tuesday when the lock nut came off. Thought I could slap her back together and finish, but the cone shaped thrust washer was in 5 pieces. So bought a new lock nut and had to order the thrust washer. In your opinion, are these good clutches? If so, I’ll just rebuild it and run it.
Murph

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
That's the same clutch assembly my 709 has. Back when I sold new similar cutters JD stated they would cut up to 4'' trees. I never cut any that large but I know these series of cutters are TOUGH!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Th
That's the same clutch assembly my 709 has. Back when I sold new similar cutters JD stated they would cut up to 4'' trees. I never cut any that large but I know these series of cutters are TOUGH!
They sure are. I’ve worked mine pretty hard. Did have to rebuild the gearbox when I first got it. Replaced output seal once after that. But it’s been bulletproof since (except the clutch. I’m going to pick up my thrust washer now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One thing I don’t get is it seems even though it has 4 disks, the only place a slippage could occur is on the last disk. Am I overlooking something?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
If an obstruction is encountered by the blades all plates with tang(6A or 6B) will slip on all clutch disk(key 5) if clutch assembly is not seized & adjusted correctly. Tangs engaged in slots in housing(key 10) is what transmits power from driveshaft to gearbox input shaft

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for your help, Jim. I’ve got it back together and cut some yesterday just to get it adjusted. Hopefully it will be trouble free for a long time!
Murph

1 - 17 of 17 Posts