Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call me stupid, that's fine, but why in the heck doesn't the gauge wheels on the mower deck swivel? Any sharp turn and the wheel(s) skid along the grass if it makes contact.

Isn't this mower deck 101?

Reactions: Herminator

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
11,656 Posts
Nope, they didn't make it that way. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Because they should only occasionally make contact with the ground on uneven terrain to prevent scalping. They should normally be about 3/8" off the ground. If they are touching all the time or supporting the weight of the deck, it's not set up correctly.

Besides, wheels that turn like casters always eventually end up loose and worn out.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Because they should only occasionally make contact with the ground on uneven terrain to prevent scalping. They should normally be about 3/8" off the ground. If they are touching all the time or supporting the weight of the deck, it's not set up correctly.

Besides, wheels that turn like casters always eventually end up loose and worn out.
Yep, they shouldn't be set so the deck is riding on the gauge wheels. You should level out your deck at your HOC and then adjust the wheels so they are up off the ground. At least the newer ones that are kind of baggle shaped dig into the ground less than the ones that were 1" wide and disc shaped.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have a few area's on my property that cause the front caster to dig in during turning, due to the terrain, leaving a nice noticeable gouge in the lawn. The wheels are set to spec, and obviously the wheels are there for a reason and will make contact with the ground depending on terrain.

Don't get me wrong, these are great machines. But sometimes I just scratch my head wondering what was running through the engineer(s) minds when designing stuff. Swivel casters are a must on large decks, heck, even my old 42" Toro wheelhorse had swivel casters! Even had grease zerks. Trying to skid a heavy deck like that will end up with dug up lawn. A simple swivel caster that's greaseable would certainly solve the problem if your deck wheels make contact during a turn.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I have a few area's on my property that cause the front caster to dig in during turning, due to the terrain, leaving a nice noticeable gouge in the lawn. The wheels are set to spec, and obviously the wheels are there for a reason and will make contact with the ground depending on terrain.

Don't get me wrong, these are great machines. But sometimes I just scratch my head wondering what was running through the engineer(s) minds when designing stuff. Swivel casters are a must on large decks, heck, even my old 42" Toro wheelhorse had swivel casters!
For what it is worth, the design is basically the same even on the commercial mowers. I still dig mine in from time to time so I get what you are saying. However in those spots where I know it will dig in, I can tap the deck lift button on my left control stick to feather the deck a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
The wheels are there to prevent scalping and should not normally be engaged with the turf. If they swiveled, they would never be pointing in the right direction during those odd times when they make contact with turf. Those kinds of contact are so brief that they might not even eventually get aligned with the current direction of travel. So they would always be marking the turf when they made contact. If they are fixed in the "forward" position, at least most of the time they are pointing in the right direction should contact occur.

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
My 400 with a 60 inch deck has with the ones on the front and they are set correctly and they work well. My 2038R has exactly what you’re talking about when you come down through the ditch it will literally plow through it I have gotten to where I have to raise it up at certain spots and then sometimes they’re still in issue.

·
Registered
28,180 Posts
I am curious now - are you folks saying that the front gauge wheels don’t swivel? On mine the fronts do but not the rears. The rears are shaped so they are rounded.

In this pic the gauge wheels on the right side of the pic (left side of deck) are still pinned. The front one swivels - the rear doesn’t but is rounded.

Vehicle Formula libre Car Auto part Race car

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am curious now - are you folks saying that the front gauge wheels don’t swivel? On mine the fronts do but not the rears. The rears are shaped so they are rounded.

In this pic the gauge wheels on the right side of the pic (left side of deck) are still pinned. The front one swivels - the rear doesn’t but is rounded.

View attachment 632634
Yes, the deck wheels are fixed in the front. Your 62D is exactly what I was talking about in regards to swivel wheels. I also notice it has a center roller... they decided to get rid of that too.

Reactions: coaltrain

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
11,656 Posts
Ours look like this Stan.
Vehicle Mower Lawn Grass Lawn mower

According to my manual the bottom of the wheels are supposed to be ¾" below the deck. About the width of your finger.
Without the center of the deck wheel which I added.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
28,180 Posts
Ours look like this Stan.
View attachment 632650

According to my manual the bottom of the wheels are supposed to be ¾" below the deck. About the width of your finger.
Without the center of the deck wheel which I added.
OK - so your front gauge wheels do swivel. I thought they were all like that......

12dbsinad says his are not.....

·
Registered
969 Posts

View attachment 632634

Now that would make more sense since the front wheels are more the issue. The rears are so close to the rear wheels on the tractor the distance traveled is slight compared to the fronts. When it does dig the fronts are the culprits.

As for the 3/8” spacing to ground, my yard is not level within that measurement so gap or not the same results.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
The pivoting wheels are intended for non-drive over decks so that you can turn the scalp wheels 90 degrees and roll the deck under or out from under the tractor. They are too heavy to try and muscle around. They are not intended to be locked in that turned position while mowing. That may be a drive over deck with auto connect but they likely use the same anti scalp wheels just to keep things the same between decks when there is no real reason to use a different wheel on different decks.

Reactions: Levi and PJR832

·
Premium Member
1026R. Grand Cherokee, Sante Fe Sport
1,510 Posts
They should be called scalping wheels...Thats what they do to my lawn if they touch it..:laugh:

Reactions: Levi and PJR832

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The pivoting wheels are intended for non-drive over decks so that you can turn the scalp wheels 90 degrees and roll the deck under or out from under the tractor. They are too heavy to try and muscle around. They are not intended to be locked in that turned position while mowing. That may be a drive over deck with auto connect but they likely use the same anti scalp wheels just to keep things the same between decks when there is no real reason to use a different wheel on different decks.
Both the 62D and 60D are drive over decks, the 60D being autoconnect and having the fixed position wheels.

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
They should be called scalping wheels...Thats what they do to my lawn if they touch it..:laugh:
I have the same issue with my X500 deck. Lot's of marks in the yard from the gouge wheels... err... I mean gauge wheels.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts