Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that I've relegated the 2720 to TLB service it looks like I'll be doing the mowing with my 2305. It's just too much work to swap the 46 Backhoe for the 62D deck with independent lift. The only issue is I've got a 54 deck for the 2305 and the former 62D on the 2720 spoiled me. I was hopeful that the 62D might fit the 2305 but forget that option. The mounting points are OK but the gearbox is on the wrong side of the deck.

I'm wondering if the 60D 7 Iron deck for the 1023 / 1026 or X Series will fit the 2305? My research shows that the 54C/X, 62C and 60D 7 Iron decks are available for the X700 series which prompted me to consider this. Does anyone know if the PowerFlow is compatible with the 60D 7 Iron deck?

Thanks!
Frank

·
Super Moderator
10,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So now that I've relegated the 2720 to TLB service it looks like I'll be doing the mowing with my 2305. It's just too much work to swap the 46 Backhoe for the 62D deck with independent lift. The only issue is I've got a 54 deck for the 2305 and the former 62D on the 2720 spoiled me. I was hopeful that the 62D might fit the 2305 but forget that option. The mounting points are OK but the gearbox is on the wrong side of the deck.

I'm wondering if the 60D 7 Iron deck for the 1023 / 1026 or X Series will fit the 2305? My research shows that the 54C, 62C and 60D 7 Iron decks are available for the X700 series which prompted me to consider this. Does anyone know if the PowerFlow is compatible with the 60D 7 Iron deck?

Thanks!
Frank
It works!

After trying to work with four different JD dealers to buy a 60D 7 Iron deck I was left to my own resources to Git-R-Done. Based on the fact that the 2305 shares the 54C & 62C decks with the 7XX series my assumption was that the 60D should as well. I bit the bullet and purchased one on a hunch that I could make it work.

The 7XX uses a quick connect rear draft arm with a forked end unlike the 2305 that uses a drilled pin. I fitted the deck into place and there were no clearance issues. The front draft arms are identical on the 7XX, 2305 and 1023 / 1026 tractors. The 60D drive shaft and gear box are in the same location relative to the draft arm brackets as the 54C & 62C decks. The drive shaft also matches up and is the same length. The rear draft arm drilled pin location on the 2305 lined right up with the rear draft bracket so I was in luck. I next modified the rear draft arms by slotting them to work like the 7XX series. Everything installed and lined up. I then leveled the deck and gave it a workout. She cuts like a dream! Very smooth and this deck can really throw the clippings! The only thing that is off is the deck height adjustment. So I ran the rear draft arm yokes up as far as possible to gain cutting height and so far so good. My 2305 uses a mechanical lift and has no problem lifting the 60D 7 Iron deck. Not sure if a 2305 with Independent hydraulic lift would work.

Here are some additional photos.

Draft arm modification:

Left side

Right side

Left side under deck

60D 7 Iron

Reactions: ChrisR

·
Administrator
22,258 Posts
Nice Work

Frank, This qualifies for an entry into this month's Omni Transformer Hitch giveaway contest.:good2: Make sure to link this thread into the giveaway thread! :hi:

·
Super Moderator
10,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that I've had a chance to mow a couple of times with the new 60D 7 Iron deck on my 2305 my next move will be to purchase and install the Powerflow blower to use with my MCS. This 7 Iron deck mows so much better than either the 54C deck I used previously or the 62D deck used on my 2720!

Frank

·
Administrator
22,258 Posts
I agree! The 60D is the best mower I've ever owned and operated!

·
Super Moderator
10,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been mowing with the 60D 7 Iron deck on the 2305 for almost a month now and everything is A-OK. Last night after mowing I pulled the rig into the barn to perform maintenance and a complete lube on the machine & deck. So I pulled the deck off to clean and lube everything. I also decided to remove all the 3PH deck lift linkages and re-install per the factory setup instructions & dimensions. When finished I re-leveled the deck. The deck height adjustments now correlate better than when originally installed.

This time of year I like to mow fairly high. I'll be mowing at about 4" which is about the highest setting with the 7 Iron installed on my 2305.

Frank

·
Registered
66 Posts
Glade to see that someone has managed to put the 60 inch 7 Iron deck on the 2305! I kind of figured it could be done with some modifications. So the slower tip speed of the blades on the 60 inch 7 iron deck does not affect the quality of cut vs the higher tip speed of the blades on the yellow deck. I was thinking about the 7 Iron deck for my 2305 possibly, but after hearing that the blades turn slower on the 7 Iron deck vs the 62C deck, I am not sure moving to the 7 Iron deck makes any sence at all, especially if the quality of cut is not any better or worse then the yellow 62C deck.
I have never ran the 60 inch 7 Iron deck, and the local dealers have no demo units to try out, and I am wondering if there really is a big difference between the two decks or no difference at all. If there is no difference at all, I really can't see why Deere wants a few hundred $$ more for the & Iron deck.
Have heard some say the deck is not worth it, and others who say it is. The slower tip speed of the 7 Iron 60 inch deck really concerns me as to weather it will do a good job mowing compared to the 62C deck and is one big reason why I may never move to the 7 Iron deck.

Jason B

·
Administrator
22,258 Posts
Glade to see that someone has managed to put the 60 inch 7 Iron deck on the 2305! I kind of figured it could be done with some modifications. So the slower tip speed of the blades on the 60 inch 7 iron deck does not affect the quality of cut vs the higher tip speed of the blades on the yellow deck. I was thinking about the 7 Iron deck for my 2305 possibly, but after hearing that the blades turn slower on the 7 Iron deck vs the 62C deck, I am not sure moving to the 7 Iron deck makes any sence at all, especially if the quality of cut is not any better or worse then the yellow 62C deck.
I have never ran the 60 inch 7 Iron deck, and the local dealers have no demo units to try out, and I am wondering if there really is a big difference between the two decks or no difference at all. If there is no difference at all, I really can't see why Deere wants a few hundred $$ more for the & Iron deck.
Have heard some say the deck is not worth it, and others who say it is. The slower tip speed of the 7 Iron 60 inch deck really concerns me as to weather it will do a good job mowing compared to the 62C deck and is one big reason why I may never move to the 7 Iron deck.

Jason B
Where did you hear or read the 7 iron has a slower tip speed? The 7 Iron is JD's top-of-the-line commercial mower.:unknown:

·
Registered
66 Posts
[SUB][/SUB]
Where did you hear or read the 7 iron has a slower tip speed? The 7 Iron is JD's top-of-the-line commercial mower.:unknown:

Read it on Tractorbynet. com, apparently the 62C Yellow Deck has a tip speed of 17,000 rate per minute vs the 60" 7 Iron deck that has a rated tip speed of 16,500 rate per minute. Seems like the blades turn a bit slower on the 7 Iron deck and it makes me question weather or not the 7 Iron deck actually cuts any better vs the yellow deck.

·
Administrator
22,258 Posts
I've never been able to find the blade tip speed listed anywhere for the 60D. :unknown: I can say its an awesome mower, even better than my commercial walk behind mower, a 54" Bunton hydro. :hi:

·
Super Moderator
10,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Jason B
Jason,

Not sure about blade tip speeds of the 62C VS the 60D but that 7 Iron deck throws & disperses clippings much better than my 62D / 2720 and the previous 54C I had on the 2305. In fact, I've recently reduced the engine RPM when mowing to about 2750 where I used to run at PTO indicated speed. Again, I'm very happy with the build quality of the 7 Iron deck and most importantly the results, regardless of blade tip speed. BTW, this deck is not the 7 Iron Auto Connect version supplied as an option for the 1026R. This deck is used with the X7XX series which shares the 54C & 62C with the 2305.

Frank

Reactions: Deeremower man

·
Registered
66 Posts
Jason,

Not sure about blade tip speeds of the 62C VS the 60D but that 7 Iron deck throws & disperses clippings much better than my 62D / 2720 and the previous 54C I had on the 2305. In fact, I've recently reduced the engine RPM when mowing to about 2750 where I used to run at PTO indicated speed. Again, I'm very happy with the build quality of the 7 Iron deck and most importantly the results, regardless of blade tip speed. BTW, this deck is not the 7 Iron Auto Connect version supplied as an option for the 1026R. This deck is used with the X7XX series which shares the 54C & 62C with the 2305.

Frank

Thanks for the info reguarding the performance of the 60" 7 Iron deck, it sounds like an awsome deck for sure and if all goes well I may have to look into trying one sometime.

Jason B

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
My dealer told me the advantage of 7 iron was mainly taller side wall and the faster tip speed.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

·
Super Moderator
10,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My dealer told me the advantage of 7 iron was mainly taller side wall and the faster tip speed.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Here's another way to look at it. By the pound it's a better value!!

Frank

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I would like to have one but a new one is not in the cards.

I would like to know if the gear ratio is the same on the gearboxes. If they were, just a pully swap would get the blade speed up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2305 and 60D mower

Frank, I am in the process of mounting the 700 series 60D deck on my 2305 after reading your post, I was wandering what mounting kit did you use? the 2305 kit or the 700 series kit? Thank you for the great idea!!

I'm wondering if the 60D 7 Iron deck for the 1023 / 1026 or X Series will fit the 2305? My research shows that the 54C/X, 62C and 60D 7 Iron decks are available for the X700 series which prompted me to consider this. Does anyone know if the PowerFlow is compatible with the 60D 7 Iron deck?

Thanks!
Frank

·
Super Moderator
10,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had the 54 deck on my 2305 previously so the stock kit worked for me. I did have to modify the mower deck lift arms by slotting them for the 60D deck. Like the 54C & 62C decks the 60D driveshaft is very close to the brake linkage bell crank so I smoothed the flashing on the the drive shaft yokes using a carbide burr and also fabricated a stop to limit side to side movement of the front draft arms and deck. I just used a length of 1/4" x 1" bar stock and tack welded it onto the front draft link between the inner ears of the mower deck attaching bracket. This limits side to side movement significantly and prevents the driveshaft from contacting the brake linkage as is common with 2305 decks, especially when turning or mowing on slopes. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.