Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the nut size on the pulley above the spindles to do a blade change? I have the 18mm socket for the blade, but need to buy a open end wrench. I "think" it's a 30mm.

·
Premium Member
13,410 Posts
Anyone know if the nut size on the pulley above the spindles to do a blade change? I have the 18mm socket for the blade, but need to buy a open end wrench. I "think" it's a 30mm.
If you're talking about the nut on the middle blade to keep them from turning it's a 22mm on the 54d, might be the same on the 60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're talking about the nut on the middle blade to keep them from turning it's a 22mm on the 54d, might be the same on the 60

Yeah it's a tad bigger than that. I measured it a while back when I had the deck off and all I remember it was over and inch and some change.????

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I just went out and measured with calipers--30.6 mm.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
When doing a blade change, merely block blade from turning with block of wood. Only one socket needed. :good2:
Exactly. On my 60" it then only takes a 15/16th or 24mm. Someone said they have changed the size now on the new ones.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly. On my 60" it then only takes a 15/16th or 24mm. Someone said they have changed the size now on the new ones.
That's what I'm seeing. I watched a YouTube a while back and sizes for the same deck were not jiving up with mine.

·
Premium Member
13,410 Posts
18 mm socket, 6'' extention, block of wood, torque to 90 ft lbs. :good2:
90 lbs, my 54d says 55 lbs, just wondering if the 60 is different?

·
Premium Member
13,410 Posts
Manual on my 60" reads 90lbs. Just took a look yesterday, as I had to do some service on deck. When I pulled blades to sharpen I don't think they were torqued to spec listed though. :unknown:
90 would actually make me feel better 55 seems pretty light, I drive around waiting for a blade to come off but I check them often and they are always to spec

·
Registered
968 Posts

Yes I recall the same size nuts. The only reason for JD to go to larger nut is if they also have a larger thread to go with it.

I make sure my blades are tight use the impact gun. Yes requires the impact gun to get them off too. My gun has three tightening settings I use middle setting yielding about 90 ft lbs. Not as consistent as torque wrench but I feel safe. The blades going loose is last thing I want going on.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
90 would actually make me feel better 55 seems pretty light, I drive around waiting for a blade to come off but I check them often and they are always to spec

Pretty sure the manual I have lists 90lbs for the 60" deck and 85lbs for the 54" deck. I'd have to check tonight but 55lbs doesn't seem right at all.

·
Premium Member
13,410 Posts
Pretty sure the manual I have lists 90lbs for the 60" deck and 85lbs for the 54" deck. I'd have to check tonight but 55lbs doesn't seem right at all.
I know, I bought the mulch kit for mine and that's what the blades said as well. That's also what my mower manual says just seems light

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,410 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
90 lbs, my 54d says 55 lbs, just wondering if the 60 is different?

I use an air impact till it quits turning. Comes off the same way.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts