Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 1023e (with 230 hours)- Had engaged my 60D deck (with mulch conversion) drive hundreds of times at full RPM, usually around 2500-2800 RPM, this time apparently was plugged with grass and sheared the quick-disconnect end u-joint. I have a AutoConnect PTO Driveshaft -- LVB26045 and it sells for $518.00, and the dealer stated the replacement parts are not sold separately. He also stated their records showed no one else had purchased a replacement shaft from their department, and it was "rare" it went out.
Cross referencing the best I could figured the two piece (quick disconnect end) part was interchangeable and it was on the BLV10610 shaft purchased for about $200.00, and was quickly back to cutting a few days later.
Had previously read about engaging the clutch at high RPMs and owners stated they did not have any troubles, but have changed to engaging clutch at lower RPMs and increasing to operating speeds, as well as ensuring the deck is raised up and it is not plugged with grass when shut off.

My question is:
Can I buy replacement u-joints for the 60D Driveshaft, or send it in to get repaired?

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Auto connect parts breakdown.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
In my experience with dump trucks and forestry equipment and fire trucks, always always always... ALWAYS engage pto and auxiliary power equipment at low rpms... everything will last longer

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Good lord never engage a pto at a high rpm... pto should always be engaged and disengaged at idle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agreed on PTO engage at idle. It is especially easy to do with the
low end torque of a diesel. Not as easy with a gasser!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yep that's where the problem comes from. Gas requires high RPM, and when someone
get's a diesel they think it's done the same way. BTW, not only when turning on but also turning
off PTO - when it's diesel, low rpms.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Yep that's where the problem comes from. Gas requires high RPM, and when someone
get's a diesel they think it's done the same way. BTW, not only when turning on but also turning
off PTO - when it's diesel, low rpms
Please elaborate.

·
Registered
423 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I read my manuals. Go to "Using rear and mid PTO".

OMLVU28128
Very good. :thumbup1gif:Guess I was looking for something more technical, but reading the manual is good.

I can definitely see the reason for engagement in regards to shock load. And yes, I do throttle down for disengagement as well. I am not seeing it as nearly as important as it is for engagement, though recommended and just good operating practice. Highly unlikely that you'll cause any major damage if disengaging at a higher RPM.

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
23,086 Posts
Idle engine before engaging or disengaging pto or any auxiliary power unit, gas or diesel. If motor bogs out then you got other isdues
That just won't work on some units. With my Deere 757 commercial zero turn, you had to have the throttle at 1/2 or it would stall the engine. Says to do this right in the manual.

I am not seeing it as nearly as important as it is for engagement, though recommended and just good operating practice. Highly unlikely that you'll cause any major damage if disengaging at a higher RPM.
Agreed though I still disengage at idle. The worst it will do at higher RPM is wear the PTO brake slightly more.

------------------

Somewhere down the road from me someome has what must be a small riding mower that has the RIO setup. It drives me nuts (I can hear and but not see it) with the mower deck turning on and off 20-30 times all while at full throttle.....

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
When you turn off a pto with an electric clutch, you'll notice that they stop the implement very quickly, if not immediately. They have an internal brake as they are required to stop within a few moments. This is why you also should always disengage at idle.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Very good. :thumbup1gif:Guess I was looking for something more technical, but reading the manual is good.

I can definitely see the reason for engagement in regards to shock load. And yes, I do throttle down for disengagement as well. I am not seeing it as nearly as important as it is for engagement, though recommended and just good operating practice. Highly unlikely that you'll cause any major damage if disengaging at a higher RPM.
Yeah I get it. From now on I'll keep my thoughts to myself and leave all the technical matters to
all the "experts" on this forum.

Mods please delete my posts from this thread. Thank you.

·
Registered
719 Posts
This was a big adjustment for me when I transitioned from a gas ZTR to my SCUT. With the Kohler twin, there just wasn't enough torque at low RPM to start the blades. That machine had an electric PTO that came on with a bang. On the SCUT, I have the torque at low RPM but also notice that the PTO starts a bit "softer" than the belt driven electric PTO on the ZTR. On the gas machine, I would challenge myself to find the perfect throttle position that would minimize the bang but not stall the motor.

Lee

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Yeah I get it. From now on I'll keep my thoughts to myself and leave all the technical matters to
all the "experts" on this forum

Mods please delete my posts from this thread. Thank you.
Steve, Sorry you feel this way, didn't mean to upset you.

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the feedback on original thread!

Bought the U-Joint AM131981 and installed, but what a pain that was! Now have an extra shaft assembly. Was angry over the dealer and parts department giving me the wrong information. Later, found the "thread" I needed under U-Joint, after searching "driveshaft" and did not find what I needed. Well, drive shaft segment was easy to replace, and now, NEVER engage the drive over 1500, then roll it up - lesson learned.

Thanks for the feedback!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts