Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just changed the oil in the gearbox for my mowing deck. I unbolted the gearbox and drained the oil that way. It was easier removing the gearbox from the deck than I thought it would be. Anyhow, after seeing all of the shavings from the tractors hydraulics I was curious about the mower gearbox. I drained the oil through a paper towel and didn't find any shavings or foreign matter :good2:. I did notice that the oil was very dark. I've had it for two years and this is the first oil change to the gearbox. I'm wondering if I might have some kind of contamination (water) in my oil, or if this is just the color of oil JD uses?

Also, a question about the valve on top of the gearbox. What are we venting? If the gearbox gets warm/hot is the small amount of air it there going to make a difference? I haven't looked up the thermal expansion of the oil...so yeah what's the deal with that?
Thanks. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
12,748 Posts
It is doubtful there was any water in there. Water in oil normally results in a light brown fluid that looks like chocolate milk. If in doubt you can Google "sizzle test" and give that a try.

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
As the oil gets hot it heats the air inside the box. This causes a build up of pressure. The vent is there to vent any pressure over probably about 2 psi.
By the way, I have heard some say their vent leaks oil when they store their mmm upright. This vent should not leak. It is not an open to atmosphere vent.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: bolar
1 - 3 of 3 Posts