Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I had the opportunity for a little maintenance, that by chance happened to include the operator station platform removal. As I was visually inspecting everything, I was surprised to find that a small retaining clip (11/red oval) had some how came out of the end of the lift pin(22) . The pin was bound in the hole, and fortunately nothing else seems to have been damaged nor was the hole egged out. I consider my self fortunate to have accidentally found it. THIS is why we call it preventive maintenance, or as my wife says, "playing" :lol:

lift_clip.png

·
Registered
23,092 Posts
Good catch! As you said it is good to take the time once in a while and really go over your equipment.

The lift arms on my 62D mower had pins like that which were too small for the application - there is a thread on GTT about this as many of us had the pins fall out and bend the expensive linkage. I have since replaced all the hair clips like that with something more substantial.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good catch! As you said it is good to take the time once in a while and really go over your equipment.

The lift arms on my 62D mower had pins like that which were too small for the application - there is a thread on GTT about this as many of us had the pins fall out and bend the expensive linkage. I have since replaced all the hair clips like that with something more substantial.
I agree and count my blessings that nothing further was damaged. What kind of clips did you use as a replacement? I thought about drilling the hole out just a little and using a larger/stronger clip and maybe add a washer between the clip and attachment.

·
Registered
23,092 Posts
I agree and count my blessings that nothing further was damaged. What kind of clips did you use as a replacement? I thought about drilling the hole out just a little and using a larger/stronger clip and maybe add a washer between the clip and attachment.
Being I hate dealing with cotter pins I used what I think is called circle cotter pins - they are like a key ring. I had a few of these in my pin drawer - Deere used these quite a bit over the years on linkages and the like.

https://www.pivotpins.com/products/bx-circle-cotters.html

The link above has all kinds of neat pins - this was shown to me in our other conversation. I went to Tractor Supply and looked at all the pins and picked something from there.

And yes - not a bad idea to use washers if you have room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts