Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched this site and have not found an answer that will work for me. I can not remove the mower. From this thread:http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/11439-mower-height-control-knob-removing-deck.html

1. release gauge wheel locks so deck will be able to be completely lowered to ground.
2. make sure deck is raised completely, then turn knob to install.
3. lower deck completely to the ground.
4. flip the lock lever underneath. It can be reached from either side.
5. put in 4wd and back off deck.

I did all above including unlocking the wheels so the mower is on the ground. The PTO will not release. It is under warranty, but the Deere dealer really doesn't care after the check clears. Any help/where to look is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
If it is indeed the pto not letting go when you back up in 4x4 low then I would speculate that the male shaft that is coming out of the gearbox mounted on the mowing deck has socket set screws that are notorious for coming loose and one or both of these has backed out into the female coupler. There is not much space for them to go, I would attempt prying between the female coupler and the gearbox. All my hardware came loose on my autoconnect assembly, I ended up low strength loctiting every nut and bolt under there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jeff. I have read and seen the pictures about the screws. I know what you are talking about. With the space, it is going to be tough to pry it. I was thinking about tying the mower to something and (try to) back off that way.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Glad you could make out what I was getting at! I would be careful using tractor power, the cross rods that the pto rides on are not that strong. I know there is not much room under there. I'm hoping for you that a little extra force gets these separated. Please let us know what you discover.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I decided to do nothing and sent an email to John Deere dealer 8/23. I don't want to break anything. Gotta a reply 8/23 and nothing since. Really wish I had bought something else.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Do you have an auto connect PTO? It would be helpful for you to post your equipment configuration. There is enough experience here on GTT that I'm sure we can get you up an running.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, auto; 1025r 60D. Does Deere make a manual 1025r/60D? That might have been the way to go. The only thing I can see holding it is the PTO, so maybe set screws? I bought 1025r, back hoe, brush hog, tiller and 60D. All cash deal. Son in law has a Kubota and has no problems.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
They offer both a auto-connect hookup and just a regular hookup. with the regular hookup you have to crawl under there and hook the drive shaft up. On a one series there is not alot of room to do it. when i bouhgt mine it was 220$ more for the Auto-Connect. being a old man who like to eat i went with the auto connect.:greentractorride:

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Yes, auto; 1025r 60D. Does Deere make a manual 1025r/60D? That might have been the way to go. The only thing I can see holding it is the PTO, so maybe set screws? I bought 1025r, back hoe, brush hog, tiller and 60D. All cash deal. Son in law has a Kubota and has no problems.
I think more than a few here including myself have had to do a little adjusting on their autoconnect decks. My girlfriend got a 60d and hers was set up perfect and she has had no problems. Mine lost bolts and had the set screw back out on the shaft. I am positive that once these mechanisms are adjusted properly and the bolts and set screws are loctited that the system works perfectly. I know it is frustrating and you should have had no problems with this machine and it is under warranty. I really believe that once you get the coupling separated that you are $.40 worth of set screws and two drops of loctite away from victory. Good luck and please keep us informed of the resulting diagnosis and repair.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Are you sure it is the PTO that is hanging it? I had a similar problem one time with mine after my dealer had worked on it where the deck wouldn't come off the next time I tried to remove it. They had adjusted the turnbuckles on the draft arms so high to raise the mowing height that it wouldn't let the deck go low enough to take the weight of the deck off of the draft arms. I finally pried the deck off, and once it came free the draft arms were sitting above the deck connectors so when trying to put it back on they just went over the top and of course would not connect until I re-adjusted the turnbuckles. You might check that your deck is really going all the way to the ground and taking the weight off of the draft arms.

Good luck, sounds like you may have a dealer like mine.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Probably not the problem with this case... BUT... Always move PTO position lever to "REAR" when installing/uninstalling. This releases the PTO shaft to rotate easily with no friction at the coupling. Made a big difference against my 54D's early fist fights.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Probably not the problem with this case... BUT... Always move PTO position lever to "REAR" when installing/uninstalling. This releases the PTO shaft to rotate easily with no friction at the coupling. Made a big difference against my 54D's early fist fights.
^^^ x2

PTO mmm.png

·
Registered
572 Posts
The PTO is in rear only and 60D on the ground. Sent an email to dealer asking "Can you email me a schematic of the linkage from the mower height knob (1025r) to the mower (60d)?" yesterday.
Going out on a limb here and guessing you have the standard mechanical lift.
In case you are not aware, most of this stuff is available via the JD parts site.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
1. are you certain the mmm attaching latches are in the release position? Picture below is shown in release position.

If the latches are in the release position, the only thing that can be holding the mmm from coming off is the PTO driveshaft splines at the mmm gear box end.

Rather than trying to work on it under the tractor, if you unpin the auto connect lift linkage yokes and the front linkage pivot pins and disconnect the drive shaft at the trans PTO, the entire auto connect mechanism will be disconnected from the tractor. Now back off the mmm so you can work on it. Take you time backing off and check clearances several times to assure nothing is getting caught.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Victory

First of all I want to thank all of you. You guys know what you are doing. Yes, it was a set screw. Deere sent someone today and he pried it off. Exactly what was recommended here. Why couldn't I do it? I tried. Anyway, case closed. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Sowards remember the loctite suggestion I made and now that this difficulty is behind you I truly hope you gain more satisfaction with your choice of Deere. Thank you for telling us the remedy, this will no doubt help folks in the future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks Jeff. The bottom line is everyone was right. For the life of me, I could not get the PTO to move (with pry bar). For the 60d, if you have done everything correct, it is the set screws.
I need a pry bar and a blog to find out/fix what is wrong? I've got to march up the chain of command to get a know problem fix(emailed general manager and sales man)? There was no response from the sales man. To be honest, he probably left for the labour day weekend. The last problem took four days(yes there was another one). I emailed the sales guy and asked what is going on. The head of "I really don't care and I've been here to long for you to fire me" got in touch then right away(after four days). My dealer has a pattern of "I passed it off and now I don't care"
Very seriously thinking of selling everything(cause it's new), taking the hit and buying Kabota. The other option is having a problem go from "I passed it off and now I don't care" to "I really don't care and I've been here to long for you to fire me" for the warranty.
If you drop over 20 grand(cash, no loan), you expect 20 grand worth of support. John Deere is excused. I made a very bad mistake. I bought Deere.
I have four implements and if anyone has any problems, I hope I can help/answer. I will be watching the questions in the threads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts