Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wish I noticed this when I bought the tractor, because he had other mower decks I could have taken rather than this one that was already attached to the machine. Too late now.

On my 1026R's 60D mower, the steel slots the auto connect draft arms hook onto are extremely worn out and oversized now. Both front and back, the slots are worn out and over sized enough that the draft arms just slip right out past the locking mechanisms. The draft arms on the tractor have matching wear, where the round arms have squared off sides from the rubbing, which contribute to everything falling off or not attaching. I've got a chain wrapped around the front to hold it in place. And in the back I have to put pins into the locking latches to hold them up higher. It barely hangs on, and without all that it just falls right off. The wear also makes it so I cannot raise the deck as high, and makes it a chore to level.

I'm guessing the idiot mowed with the deck rolling on the gauge wheels instead of suspended by the draft arms. That would make the deck constantly move on the arms causing all this wear. The gauge wheels are pretty ragged too, which supports this theory. He mowed a tree farm with it. So a LOT of rolling on the ground like a dumbass.

I'm thinking I can get a welder to fix this mess up. I need to make a cardboard template/trace of what these slots SHOULD look like off a 60D that is not all screwed up. I do not have a spare 60D hanging around. So I think I need to go to the dealer and find one there to trace. Or if someone here has one that wants to make a trace, scan it, and email it?

• Use the template to trace on plate of steel what it should look like
  • Cut a new piece of steel with the correct slot sizes and to fit over the existing surfaces
  • Weld the plate up onto the existing plate, probably on the outsides, in a manner that doesn't get in the way of the latches
  • Weld bead onto the draft arms to fill in where the arms are worn out
Do you guys think this will work? Or have another suggestion (other than buying a whole new 60D and new draft arms)?

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Holy Moly. I didn't know your back ones were that bad too. I can see if I can make a decent template if you need.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neither did I back when I was futzing with the front ones. A little while later I finally noticed back while struggling with level. The previous owner of this mower deck must have been mowing with it riding on the gauge wheels at flanking speed.

I think this is basically when I need a trace of. The slot coming in doesn't matter as that just guides the draft arm. The actual round portion and surrounding area is what I need to make whole again. Same concept for the front.

If you can trace it and scan it, I think I could print it out and it will remain to scale and work. That would be awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,436 Posts
Wouldn't it work better if you traced a bracket that was like it was supposed to be - like a new one at the dealership?

And you are correct - deere decks are meant to hang - not ride on the gauge wheels. You can see why - very apparent here.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Ok, let's see if this works. In the PDF is a template of the rear, front and a drawing I tried to get dimensions for you. The openings on mine are showing a little wear, but nothing I think would upset the template. I'm going to guess the factory actually uses millimeters instead of inches, but inches is all I have.

When I measured the rear, I did it just behind the 'hole' where there wasn't any wear, and got approx. 25/32" with a tape measure, and 0.775-0.781" with a caliper. The best I could measure the hole itself was showing about 25/32".

The front...the best I could guess with the tape measure is ~14/16" to 15/16". Probably closer to 15/16". Best caliper reading is 0.900-0.940". It was very hard to get a good reading on the front hole with the caliper.

I forgot to measure the rear draft lift arm, but I measured the front draft arm right next to where it rides in the front hooks, and at various spots on the arm. I didn't want any wear to effect the reading. I consistently measured 0.874-0.875".

I like your idea of rebuilding the metal back to near factory numbers, and might be the best shot at repairing the rear hooks. The only other idea I thought of was for the front, and that was to maybe make some hooks that point forward, and bolted to the original hooks. The new hooks would complete the back side of the hole, thus encapsulating the draft arm so it can't move backwards. I don't know if it would upset the level of the deck, but I would think if the arm is held to where it can't go forward or backward, and the hole's the right size, I would think it would work.

I'll hold onto the templates until I hear back that you could print them off true to size. If need be I could throw a stamp on an envelope and snail mail them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wouldn't it work better if you traced a bracket that was like it was supposed to be - like a new one at the dealership?

And you are correct - deere decks are meant to hang - not ride on the gauge wheels. You can see why - very apparent here.
Ideally yes. But I doubt I'm going to achieve perfection either way :)

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, let's see if this works. In the PDF is a template of the rear, front and a drawing I tried to get dimensions for you. The openings on mine are showing a little wear, but nothing I think would upset the template. I'm going to guess the factory actually uses millimeters instead of inches, but inches is all I have.
Holy crap, thank you!! That's exactly what I need! I will print these out at the office tomorrow and trace onto some cardboard to test fit in the afternoon.

OMFG looking at that compared to what mine looks like... I think the previous owner was mowing a minefield?!

·
Registered
123 Posts

When I measured the rear, I did it just behind the 'hole' where there wasn't any wear, and got approx. 25/32" with a tape measure, and 0.775-0.781" with a caliper. The best I could measure the hole itself was showing about 25/32".

The front...the best I could guess with the tape measure is ~14/16" to 15/16". Probably closer to 15/16". Best caliper reading is 0.900-0.940". It was very hard to get a good reading on the front hole with the caliper.

I forgot to measure the rear draft lift arm, but I measured the front draft arm right next to where it rides in the front hooks, and at various spots on the arm. I didn't want any wear to effect the reading. I consistently measured 0.874-0.875".

I like your idea of rebuilding the metal back to near factory numbers, and might be the best shot at repairing the rear hooks. The only other idea I thought of was for the front, and that was to maybe make some hooks that point forward, and bolted to the original hooks. The new hooks would complete the back side of the hole, thus encapsulating the draft arm so it can't move backwards. I don't know if it would upset the level of the deck, but I would think if the arm is held to where it can't go forward or backward, and the hole's the right size, I would think it would work.

I'll hold onto the templates until I hear back that you could print them off true to size. If need be I could throw a stamp on an envelope and snail mail them.

Looks like we got a artist in the house.:laugh:. That is nice of you to help like that.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Looks like we got a artist in the house.:laugh:. That is nice of you to help like that.:bigthumb:
I don't know about that. I couldn't draw a straight line without a ruler. Even with a ruler sometimes it's a challenge. Forget about circles. :lolol:

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Holy crap, thank you!! That's exactly what I need! I will print these out at the office tomorrow and trace onto some cardboard to test fit in the afternoon.

OMFG looking at that compared to what mine looks like... I think the previous owner was mowing a minefield?!
You're welcome.

I was looking at your pictures earlier on my phone and couldn't see how bad the fronts were at that time. Yeah, you've got some work to do but I think you're going to get it. Seeing JD wants about $1500 for just a shell you've got nothing to lose by trying. Multiple times if necessary :laugh:

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol ya exactly. I could screw this up to the point of destroying all those parts. And it would still be cheaper to just have a welder make new ones.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Template success! And this clearly illustrates how badly worn the draft hooks are. This shows the rear. The front I didn't feel like undoing the chain, but I held it up and it clearly works there too. Thank you @kylew! Now I need to find a local welder to make this out of some flat stock.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well this is much better! Before and after. Instead of making a plate to weld onto the existing hooks, he just filled the wear in with bead and ground it down to the correct shape. The templates worked perfect for this too and was much less work. It came out great and everything lines up like it should again!

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had previously leveled the deck when everything was all screwed up. So now that the draft arms and draft hooks are all fixed, I had to relevel everything last night again.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Fantastic! Glad you got it fixed:thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
17,254 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Odd. The image went away. Just edited and put it back. And attached here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Nice repair job!

Any pics of the front hooks patched up?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts