Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'Stupid Question of the Day'...

With my last tractor (model 1864 Cub Cadet w/ 46" mower deck) I used to mow with the deck lowered all the way down so that the gauge wheels could ride directly on the turf the entire time. However, after reading countless forum posts here and elsewhere regarding the SCUT and CUT mowers, it seems as though everyone(?) sets the deck height on the tractor -essentially leaving the deck hanging from the tractor, with the gauge wheels used only to prevent scalping. Since I've mowed this way (deck all the way down riding on the gauge wheels) with every tractor I've owned prior to buying my 1025R, I just assumed that this was the correct mowing procedure. Have I interpreted that correctly, are most of you mowing wit hthe deck suspended from the tractor the entire time, or are some of you guys mowing with the deck all the way down on the gauge wheels?

The reason I'm even asking this extremely basic question is that I've struggled to get a smooth, consistent cut with my 60D mowing with deck hanging from tractor -but NEVER had any trouble achieving a smooth cut with any of my prior tractors mower decks riding directly on the turf.

Can you guys please provide me with your experience/opinions?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
The mower is designed for the gauge wheel to not ride on the ground. The manual has a chart for where to set the gauge wheels for mowing at different heights.
My first tractor mower was a Ariens GT12. The mower deck height was set by the gauge wheels. All of the John Deere tractor mowers I have owned have had the mower height set by the tractor, with the gauge wheels not touching the ground.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You can level the deck hangers. That may be your issue. Check if the deck is level when hanging and no wheels touching the ground. There is a procedure in the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
You will burn through gauge wheels pretty quick on a JD if you run them on the ground. I bought a 425 once and the PO had done that and the wheels were shot when I got it. They are not really that cheap to replace either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can level the deck hangers. That may be your issue. Check if the deck is level when hanging and no wheels touching the ground. There is a procedure in the manual.
One of the first things I checked was that the deck was leveled correctly. I think it's more a byproduct of having a lawn that's not perfectly flat with a lot of imperfections (bumpy ground) that causes the tractor to pitch left and right -thus causing this wide deck to dip from side to side and subsequently scalp the grass in the area of each dip. I just thought that the gauge wheels would have thus prevented that. Perhaps I need to go back and re-adjust them (or experiment with them) to find the proper setting for my application.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Gage wheels riding on the ground, and riding on the turf are not the same thing. I have my gage wheels adjusted so that they are always in contact (rolling) on grass. But over hard ground they are not in constant contact. Since I have lowered them to this point the uneven cutting while sideslope has vanished. Or at least, I don't notice it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Gage wheels riding on the ground, and riding on the turf are not the same thing. I have my gage wheels adjusted so that they are always in contact (rolling) on grass. But over hard ground they are not in constant contact. Since I have lowered them to this point the uneven cutting while sideslope has vanished. Or at least, I don't notice it.
Mine are set like that too. Always turning on the lawn but but not on the driveway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,921 Posts
You will find with the 60" gauge wheels need to be within 1/4" or less to get a nice cut, especially with your lawn is sloped....

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Letting the wheels always ride on the ground can damage your deck. 1/2" to 1" above the ground is all you need. They will normally turn just from dragging on the grass.

·
Registered
572 Posts
^^ x2.

There is a big difference between your old mower & deck and this one (size, weight & mounting). Per the manual, your gauge wheels should be (3/8-in.) distance between gage wheels and ground. Measure this on a flat surface, such as the garage floor or driveway. As you're mowing, the wheels will spin because the turf / grass is making them spin, with only occasional contact with the ground / dirt. I've tried to illustrate this here in a mowing situation:
Hump.png

There is no fix I'm aware of for the hump problem, (abrupt rise and fall where the crest fits inside the deck), other than removing the hump and planting seed.
If you've done all of the above and are still experiencing problems, check tire pressure and slow speed in problem areas. Here's the troubleshooting section for those issues:

Troubleshooting.png

Good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts