Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

So I just got the 60HD broom for my x758.
For all you guys that have been using them for a while, any tips or advice on using them?

maintenance?

storage and removal?

it’s only me on my own I don’t have a few guys with me.

Any advice would be really appreciated

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
So, we have one for our rubber tracked CAT 279 skid steer for sweeping parking lots, and dirty job sites and such. It’s the Bobcat model, and pretty much the same as a 60HD. Ive run the thing quite a few times, and replaced the brushes. The berrings On it usually are the first to go, and they’re a pita to replace. They are chain driven, so keep the chain tight, or the sprocket will wear. Don’t push down too hard when sweeping, or you’ll wear out the brushes too fast. You want to position it so you are slightly putting pressure down, and effectively sweeping with it. There are different grades of brushes you can get for it, and you can experiment with that.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
maintenance?
storage and removal?
I have one on the 1025 and really like it. The chain tension has not been a problem, but check it frequently. As far as I can tell, that's the only place to lube the chain. Keep everything greased and you should be fine. Removal is straight forward, twist the pins and drop the QH. Installation can be a little rough sometimes, if the pins bind, take most of the weight off the QH, and move the mounting frame towards the tractor. Since it floats with the broom, it can push away from the tractor and jam when attaching. First time was awful until I figured this out, now it's a piece of cake.

Regarding use, there are times when lower RPMs serve better to move snow or grass thatch. When the snow is wet and heavy, it starts to struggle over 3" Dry stuff, let'er rip and you can get through 6+. Nothing special about storage, other than I place a 2x4 on edge under the quick hitch frame to keep the brushes elevated during storage, quicker than placing one under each pivot wheel.

·
Premium Member
11,370 Posts
Don't travel too fast or all the debris you sweep up can blow back onto the tractor.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Question on the brushes. What do you do with the brush once it is worn where it no longer brushes?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Trash can

·
Premium Member
11,370 Posts
Question on the brushes. What do you do with the brush once it is worn where it no longer brushes?
Do you mean the replaceable brush segments themselves?

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
The replacements on this are available in both "steel bristles" and also " Poly broom bristles". The price difference is pretty significant. The steel bristles are $544 where the poly broom bristles are $339.

I don't quite understand the quantity listing and application. Here are the screen shots of the parts book......Check out the difference in the weight of the shipping package between the two, the steel bristles are 110 pounds, where the poly bristles are 75 pounds.

Screenshot_2020-02-18 John Deere Parts Catalog.png
Screenshot_2020-02-18 John Deere Parts Catalog(1).png
Screenshot_2020-02-18 John Deere Parts Catalog(2).png
They show the quantity in the box at 16, but the parts book shows the quantity needed at 2 but the prices listed are EACH. So, it appears that just the parts to replace the broom bristles are going to be costly, either way, so use the broom to minimize broom wear.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Don't travel too fast or all the debris you sweep up can blow back onto the tractor.
Hey howdy! When I first got my broom, I was all ramped up to clear the wet slushy crap from my neighbors drive. He was deployed to the mid-East and I agreed to manage their snow for a couple of winters.

The broom was new, and I wanted to document for my neighbor how well the it worked as he'd never seen one in action, so I had the camera out taking a few pictures. Trucking along at a pretty good clip and I failed to pay attention to the tell tale signs of what was about to happen. The snow/slush was a fly'n high and before I could stop, the path went straight up and back over on top of me. Took about 2 seconds and the tractor and I were completely covered. I found it amazing how much snow was being moved in that moment. I've tried to not repeat that again.

Some say, pictures or it didn't happen...it was moments after this, you can se the snow coming up over the broom hood:

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
The replacements on this are available in both "steel bristles" and also " Poly broom bristles". The price difference is pretty significant. The steel bristles are $544 where the poly broom bristles are $339.

I don't quite understand the quantity listing and application. Here are the screen shots of the parts book......Check out the difference in the weight of the shipping package between the two, the steel bristles are 110 pounds, where the poly bristles are 75 pounds.

They show the quantity in the box at 16, but the parts book shows the quantity needed at 2 but the prices listed are EACH. So, it appears that just the parts to replace the broom bristles are going to be costly, either way, so use the broom to minimize broom wear.
That is confusing. I think the reason they list like this is so you can alternate between the poly and steel or a combination of brush cores with out having extra hanging around, it takes 32 brush cores total. There are times I wish it were more aggressive when the snow is packed, but it really hasn't been much of a problem.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Depends on the application. Using all steel can damage the surface of what your sweeping, so buying 16 of each will get you the full broom with better cleaning and longevity without grinding your driveway off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts