Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Mom and Dad passed away in 2016, we (2 older brothers and myself) settled the estate, and were left with this tractor. I've mentioned the tractor in a couple of other posts.

Dad bought it new in 1955. He owned a used 50 and a brand new 60, both gas tractors. The dealer brought out this LPG (liquid propane gas) tractor out to Dad's farm after the farmer that had agreed to purchase the tractor, backed out. The dealer thought he could push/trade the LPG off onto dad, as he would have a better chance of moving the gas 60. The dealer said "use if for a few days and get back to me".

Time went by, Dad called the dealership and said it worked fine, but he wasn't interested, come get it. The dealer replied "make me an offer." Keep in mind Dad was a young new farmer, not wanting to take on more debt, said I'll trade the 60's for $10. The dealer said I'll come get the other one tomorrow, get your $10 ready.

Dad mentioned many times that was the best $10 he ever spent. He and my uncle had 60's, dad's LPG and my uncle's was gas. They owned the same pull type plow and one fall they were plowing under the corn stalks. Dad could pull the plow a gear higher than my Uncle Virgil. Virgil was quite competitive, and didn't like to be beat; Dad offered to switch the plows. Virgil agreed thinking set up was allowing Dad to pull his faster. Dad could still out run him.

As Dad got older and fell into declining health, so did the 60. It's role on the farm became less important over time as the farm grew, bigger implements left this old gal behind. She fell into a great state of disrepair; wouldn't run, power steering would not function, and most of the LPG system was wonky. As she sat idle, the block froze and cracked. Dad always had the intention of getting her running and fixed up. He got her running, but never really fixed her up.

When the block was repaired, it was the first time the top end had been removed and he reported it looked like it had rolled off the assembly line. Not a speck of discoloration anywhere inside the engine as the LPG is a very clean burning fuel. He fixed the block, kind of fixed the power steering and continued to used it intermittently on the small square baler for straw and hay, if he could find someone to stack them on the rack. As dementia crept over him, it not only took him away from us, but him farming. The tractor sat idle, in a shed for several years after his forced retirement, until this past winter.

After the estate settled, we hired a young man in the community known for his tractor restoration work. Not that we had to, but because we wanted to. We all grew up on that tractor and there's a connection with her that transcends ownership. My only wish is that Mom and Dad could see it now, both would be grinning from ear to ear, its unclear who would be the most proud. At the same time they would never had her restored, just the thought of such an "outrageous" farm expense would have drove them nuts.

I can hear her running, and smell the LPG fumes, both fond memories when I would replace the muffler with a pice of corrugated downspout, to get in and around the barn when hauling manure. Unfortunately this post will not have any of the before pictures, only after, the guy that restored the tractor has them. At some point I'll try to get a few and update the post. These are just scans of ones my SIL sent me, so not the best quality.

60_Page_2.jpg

60_Page_3.jpg

60_Page_4.jpg

60_Page_5.jpg

The little shelf on the font of the tractor was for mounted mounted implements, in our case a 4 row cultivator. There was a bracket that fastened to the top pair of bolts and a large pipe rested on the small shelf. The wheel weight are original to the tractor, hey have a smaller center hole than the "new" style, and are said to be hard to find.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Great story Great :greentractorride:

What are the yellow boxes on the rear axle?

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Great story Great :greentractorride:

What are the yellow boxes on the rear axle?
Steps/tool boxes. I don't recall if they are factory or not, it seems to me they are. Maybe someone else will know.

The only thing I know for sure Is that the right one smashed my thumb once....once.

·
Registered
11,649 Posts
:bigthumb::bigthumb: nice story--56nine. tractor looks great.

·
Registered
10,034 Posts
Simply assume. :good2: Great story.

The restorer did a great job. :thumbup1gif:

As best I can remember, the steps/tool boxes are aftermarket. They were usually added to tractors without a 3 point hitch.

·
Premium Member
4,543 Posts
Wonderful story, thank you for sharing. It’s a beauty.:good2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts