Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to change a couple bulbs in one room as I was tired of the daylight CFL's that were installed there.

It seemed like I could not find ANY standard LED bulb for under $3-$4 per bulb.
Then, early this week, I was watching some video, and it continued on to a guy evaluating LED's.

He mentioned his surprise to find the Sunbeam 9 watt (60W equivalent) bulbs from Dollar Tree to be well constructed.
He completely dissected that bulb like the kids dissect a frog in 10th grade Biology class.

Well,, I couldn't resist,, I was off to Dollar Tree,, I had to go buy a dozen.
When I got to the cash register, I thought the check out clerk was gonna treat me like a kook,,
because I was purchasing so many bulbs.

When it was my turn, the clerk said "Hi", then she said,, "Aren't these a good buy!? Most people are buying 20 to 40!"

The bulbs come in a cardboard "flat" of 20 bulbs.
Each bulb I installed surprised me more than the one before,, the bulbs have a nice color,, start instantly,, and give off LOTS of light.

Some of my CFL's were long over-due for replacement,,
I can hardly believe how long we have put up with those "slow to start" horrible color corkscrews.

Dollar Tree only has one wattage,, and one color temperature,, so, you do not have to waste a lot of time deciding on which bulb.
The bulbs are all installed,, they all worked, no infant mortality,,
So, now,, we will see how long they last,,,:dunno:

One of the reasons I have been hesitant to switch to LED's is their construction technique.
The dozen or so LED's in the bulb are wired in series,, if one LED goes out, the bulb fails,,

The CFL's were billed as the "Last Bulb You Ever Need To Purchase,,,"
Now, LED's are filling that slot,,
I wonder how many of the 50,000 hour expected life will I get out of these bulbs?

Hmmmm,, a dozen bulbs, each 9 watts,,50,000 hours,, with what I pay for electricity,,
the bulbs will use only $540 in electricity.

The savings will only be true if the bulbs last,,,:flag_of_truce:

·
Premium Member
11,028 Posts
Hmmmm,, a dozen bulbs, each 9 watts,,50,000 hours,, with what I pay for electricity,,
the bulbs will use only $540 in electricity.
That's a pretty good deal. I've been using a lot of 100W LED bulbs and Costco recently had 10-packs of them for $24. Which, $2.40 a bulb is a great price for 100W Daylight LED.

You are right about the life... I really doubt the el-cheapo bulbs will last 50,000 hours. But!!... the appeal of LED bulbs for me is lots of nice white LIGHT and minimal heat! You can put a 100W LED bulb in a fixture that could only handle a 40W incandescent. You can put a 60W LED bulb in a night light fixture. :) And... you get to save a few fractions of a KWH in the process. :)

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But!!... the appeal of LED bulbs for me is lots of nice white LIGHT and minimal heat! :)
My first real interest in new technology light bulbs occurred a little over a decade ago,,,
We were replacing floors, sinks, counters etc,,, in our then 25 year old home.

I happened to find the heat from the incandescent bulb had just about completely destroyed the insulation in a light fixture.
So, I started looking,, ALL the fixtures were the same way,, the insulation was charred, and falling off.

We ended up replacing EVERY light fixture in the bathrooms, halls, kitchen,, etc.
If the fixture was screwed to the house,, we threw it out,,

As we replaced the fixtures, we also installed low temperature light bulbs. :good2:

·
Registered
596 Posts
:good2: Once I started putting 5K LED bulbs in, I couldn't stop. The rooms I skipped early on looked terrible after getting used to the LED whiteness. It was like the room was lit with a stick of butter when I turned on an old style bulb.

I think the only regular bulbs I have are a few "rough service" ones I had for a trouble light, and I kept those in case I needed a bulb that put out heat. All my fixtures have LED bulbs and I switched all florescent tubes out to LED replacements, too.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Yep been buying the COSCO 100W led's. Replaced all the bulbs in the barn stall, 8 of them, it looks like daylight in the middle of the night in the stall now. I have slowly replacing all the bulbs in the house with the new 100W LED bulbs. I have found three fixtures so far they will not fit on. All being flush ceiling lights. I even replaced our recessed flood lights with LEDS. ALL of my motion detection lights outside are LED, lights up the whole yard like day time.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I know one thing, CFL bulbs are not worth buying. When they came out a number of years ago we were told they would last at least 5 years. I changed over my whole house to them back then, and I have since replaced a bunch of them. I don't think they last much longer than the old incandescent bulbs. And the dull start isn't appealing. I just bought my first 10 pack of LED's, we'll see how they go.

·
Premium Member
11,028 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,028 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Not screwed as much as here in Virginia!!

60W LED.jpg

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Hmm... I'm logged in as well. Looks like central PA is getting screwed. :)

View attachment 522786
Guess it is a regional thing then. I actually first noticed them on the shelf in the store when buying some switches.

I noticed there is a big difference between Walmart stores. Ours is super clean, bright, and organized. The staff is also very nice. Once in a while we stop at the next one to our north an hour away when there for a doctor appointment. That store is dirty, dark, unorganized, and the staff all have a chip on their shoulders. Their inventory is different in most departments also. I just hate going in that one.

Sorry for the thread derailment. I will say that Dollar Tree is Mrs. C’s favorite store. I buy all my cleaning supplies there. Also my sugar free hard candy. Even some stuff for my painting project. But I don’t recall seing light bulbs - will make it a point to look next time. This might also be a case of regional inventory.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was in our local True Value hardware today,, they had 4 different types of LED's for $0.99 each

The big difference is that the True Value bulbs are dimmable!! :good2:

They had vanity bulbs, and reflector (small spot lights),,,

I will get some reflectors for the ceiling fixtures and track lighting. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will say that Dollar Tree is Mrs. C’s favorite store. I buy all my cleaning supplies there. Also my sugar free hard candy. Even some stuff for my painting project. But I don’t recall seeing light bulbs - will make it a point to look next time. This might also be a case of regional inventory.
I do not think it is regional,,
the discussion in comments on the YouTube video seemed to have everybody finding them,,, :dunno:

·
Premium Member
11,028 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It makes you wonder what else we are paying more for.

Well, I figured out why they are more in Virginia,,

All of the Walton family members live in Charlottesville VA,,,

So, they make us pay more because their property taxes are so high,,,
SOMEBODY has to help out those poor Sam Walton decedents,,, :dunno:

:laugh:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My daughter went to True Value Hardware yesterday,,
She purchased a dozen of the dimmable $0.99 LED's. :yahoo:

While she was there, she asked about why the bulbs were so cheap,
the clerk said the local power company was subsidizing the price of the bulbs.

The bulbs are normally $1.99,, the power company is kicking in $1 per bulb..

The power company subsidy, being local, may explain the Walmart price variation? :dunno:

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
My daughter went to True Value Hardware yesterday,,
She purchased a dozen of the dimmable $0.99 LED's. :yahoo:

While she was there, she asked about why the bulbs were so cheap,
the clerk said the local power company was subsidizing the price of the bulbs.

The bulbs are normally $1.99,, the power company is kicking in $1 per bulb..

The power company subsidy, being local, may explain the Walmart price variation? :dunno:
That could be. My local power company has a lot of rebates for energy star appliances and such of which I have taken advantage of. They also have programs for water heaters, HVAC, etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts