Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my JD x728 I have a 62" mowing cutting deck.

My deck may be too wide for my cutting area? ( I'm getting scalping in some areas )
The land is somewhat rolling. My situation is mostly cutting residential grass around 3 1/2" - 4" tall.
with some wild weeds, sticks and such at the front of the woods towards the back property.

Should I consider getting a smaller width deck?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I had the 62 inch deck on my 2004 x495 diesel tractor and did not have any issues with it on my 2.3 acres of rather hilly property at a prior home. Be sure to adjust the deck per the manual and be sure that the deck does not constantly ride on the anti scalp wheels as it should hang from the tractor and have the wheels at least 0.25 to 0.5 inches off a level surface.

Attached are the deck adjustments from the TM2024 and th deck manual OMM 146676

View attachment deck adjustments - from TM2024.pdf

View attachment OMM 146676 62C manual.pdf

Chuck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First things first - have you leveled the deck properly?

I thought I had leveled the deck.
I do not have the plastic gauge that should have came with the mower ( I'm second owner )

I did have on flat cement surface, using my tape measure to adjust the wheels into the closest hole. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
I thought I had leveled the deck.
I do not have the plastic gauge that should have came with the mower ( I'm second owner )

I did have on flat cement surface, using my tape measure to adjust the wheels into the closest hole. :dunno:
You adjust the deck via the linkages, not the wheels. I use to use a block of wood before I bought the tool JD sells, it's NOT the one that comes in fender tool box.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the 62 inch deck on my 2004 x495 diesel tractor and did not have any issues with it on my 2.3 acres of rather hilly property at a prior home. Be sure to adjust the deck per the manual and be sure that the deck does not constantly ride on the anti scalp wheels as it should hang from the tractor and have the wheels at least 0.25 to 0.5 inches off a level surface.

Attached are the deck adjustments from the TM2024 and th deck manual OMM 146676

View attachment 687262

View attachment 687264

Chuck
I am not sure about the wheels not touching - to be above.

I will check to see these links that you provided -

Thanks Chuck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You adjust the deck via the linkages, not the wheels. I use to use a block of wood before I bought the tool JD sells, it's NOT the one that comes in fender tool box.

so I probably did it wrong then...

I will have to take a look at the linkages then -

Im hopeful to get time later this week.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would invest in one of the JD deck level gauge tools, AM130907. They are second to none when it comes to adjusting a deck properly. I bought one at the end of last year and I can't believe I went this long without one.

Rick

John Deere Gauge AM130907 - Green Farm Parts

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've got two 2x4's (6-10" long) and two pieces of 1/4" plywood...painted JD yellow! Check tire pressure FIRST and adjust if nec. Lower deck against depth stock and slide 2x AND 1/4" plywood under side of deck with non-adjustable link. Adjust depth stop so wood is just touching. Check/adjust adjustable link so deck just touches wood. Re-check fixed link as moving adjustable link will also move fixed side! Once side to side is set, slip ONLY 2x's under front of deck. Adjust mule drive so front od deck is just touching wood...front of deck is now 1/4" lower.

I've been using this procedure for 35+ years and no complaints about my lawn...well, the cutting of it anyhow! Bob

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
I would invest in one of the JD deck level gauge tools, AM130907. They are second to none when it comes to adjusting a deck properly. I bought one at the end of last year and I can't believe I went this long without one.

Rick

When you place a certain amount of an order with Green Farm Parts you have the option for them sending you one for free.

They really do work well.

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts

Rick

That's the tool I was referring to in post #5

When you place a certain amount of an order with Green Farm Parts you have the option for them sending you one for free.

They really do work well.
How much do you have to spend? I KNOW at some point I will step on mine and break it :banghead:

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
That's the tool I was referring to in post #5

How much do you have to spend? I KNOW at some point I will step on mine and break it :banghead:
I forget really...my last order was $230 or something like that. When you on the checkout page I think that is here they list the free items per your amount spent.

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
Last Sunday I spent just over $100 and got 10% off. I did not see any free offers. :flag_of_truce:Maybe the 10% off negated anything free? :unknown:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts