Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 620. It sound great at idle but is too loud at full throttle for working. Did these tractors come with a straight pipe or a muffler from the factory? I prefer to leave it stock but don't want to go deaf either.

Thanks

·
Administrator
20,290 Posts
They came with a muffler. There’s generally two kinds of mufflers, the round skinny ones and the oval ones. The oval ones are supposed to be quieter than the round ones.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They came with a muffler. There’s generally two kinds of mufflers, the round skinny ones and the oval ones. The oval ones are supposed to be quieter than the round ones.
Take a look at this video that I made of my tractor. Is this a muffler? It is black and has a small dent in the left side

Thanks

https://youtu.be/LZhkvNWiqFc

it looks nothing like the muffler my old Farmall M had forty years ago

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
The round one is for the diesel,, the oval is for the gas engine,,

DO NOT put a round one on a gas,, trust me,, I attribute part of my hearing loss to using that round mufflered tractor for a while.

The round is perfectly designed to capture unburned gas,, and letting of a tremendous explosion,,
Any reduction in the throttle setting would cause the explosion,,
it sounds like a propane cannon that is used to scare animals like deer away,,,

Finally, my BIL admitted he had obtained the wrong muffler,, and got the oval,,
all was well again!! :good2:

·
Administrator
20,290 Posts
The proper ones all had a dent in the side. The oval ones had a special name for being quiet.

I can’t say what yours is, as lots of straight pipes were made that look like the round muffler. Only a look down inside the pipe will tell you it’s a muffler or a straight pipe.

My 60 will be getting the oval muffler. If I’m not mistaken, that was either factory or it was an option on your tractor.

·
Administrator
20,290 Posts
Lots and lots of round mufflers were found on both gas and diesel Johnny Poppers Cad. I don’t know what happened to you, but a muffler has zero effect on raw fuel getting into the exhaust.

·
Registered
364 Posts
While the round muffler with the dent would fit a 620, I know the dent is required for the styled A tractor. The muffler and intake pipes are in the center of the tractor and the steering shaft will not clear without the dent.
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure the standard round mufflers only have a baffle inside. If it should rust out, it will get a little louder but not not nearly as loud as a true straight pipe like lots of pullers use. Stick a broom handle down the hole. It should hit something (baffle) about half way down.
The oval muffler likely is made more like an auto muffler with multiple chambers and exhaust routing to quite it down considerably. I don't recall seeing the oval type until the "30" series of two cylinders came out. No doubt the 20 series could use it, and may have been available then too.
Shucks, a Farmall M is probably quieter with no muffler than the noise those two cylinder "lard bucket" pistons in the 620 can make! lol

Ever run a tractor with a Detroit diesel i.e. Oliver 1850? Even with a muffler, that's noise!

tommyhawk

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
Someone who knows more about two cylinder tractors may correct me, but the oval muffler began on the 30 series tractors along with the flat top fenders. As I understand the flat top fenders, which were also on the 3010 and 4010 tractors, were brought out on the 30 series to gauge public reaction to the style. The oval muffler for the 630 should also fit the 620 and the 60.

Another interesting bit of info on the 30 series. They were originally going to be the 50 series, but the numbering was changed at the last minute.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts