Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the maintenance manual for the 625i. Need to trouble shoot the charging system.

Was driving it today and it started to buck. Turned it off and then tried to start it and click click click.

Looking at the electrical in he parts it’s the stator or the voltage regulator/rectifier.

I have 12. Lots when everything is off and then 11.5 when it is running. Something isn’t right there.

I leaning towards the regulator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I’ll tell you the a good dealer relationship is worth it’s weight in gold. Went In today to get a service kit for the gator.

The parts guy asked if I needed anything else. I said yeah. I need an electrical diagram to a 625i.

He told me you know I can’t get you that. But what’s going on with it.

I told him I didn’t think it was charging. But wasn’t sure if it was the regulator or the stator.

He told me that it was easy to Troy let shoot that and here is what you do.

Hook your voltage meter to he two outside wires of the input from the stator. Set it in AC and you should have a reading of this.

If you don’t have anything. Then is that stator. If you do have about 35 volts it’s the regulator.

So I just ordered a regulator. Had 20 volts at idle and just bumping the grass brought it up to 35.

Thankfully I don’t have to tear the flywheel and stuff off the engine. Part will be on later this week. Stock order = no shipping. :)

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks. Have to figure out a way to read it. All our computers don’t have a cd rom drive anymore. :(

Wonder if I could copy it to a USB thumb drive.

I believe they also offer pdf downloads. Contact them for more information.

I have not done business with this company, although their pricing is very appealing.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stator Issues

So the Voltage Regulator didn’t fix my charging issues with the gator.

Per the manual I should have 45V AC coming out of the stator when checking all three pins. I have this.

However on checking the resistance it’s so poised to be .16 - .24 ohms. I’m at .5 the tech manual says to replace the stator if the resistance is out of specs.

To me it just seems baffling that it puts out the correct voltage even though the resistance isn’t correct.

Could this be causing a charging issue? Don’t want to spend 300 bucks if it’s not most likely the issue.

The wiring checks out fine. And the stator isn’t grounding out.

I’m kinda baffled. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
So the Voltage Regulator didn’t fix my charging issues with the gator.

Per the manual I should have 45V AC coming out of the stator when checking all three pins. I have this.

However on checking the resistance it’s so poised to be .16 - .24 ohms. I’m at .5 the tech manual says to replace the stator if the resistance is out of specs.

To me it just seems baffling that it puts out the correct voltage even though the resistance isn’t correct.

Could this be causing a charging issue? Don’t want to spend 300 bucks if it’s not most likely the issue.

The wiring checks out fine. And the stator isn’t grounding out.

I’m kinda baffled. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

I think it would be difficult to measure that low of resistance to fraction of an ohm accuracy. I wouldn’t replace it just yet.
Do you have places in your area that rebuilds alternators that could test it?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well got it fixed.

I was thinking about this last night. The first thing I checked was the fuse. And it was good. Had continuity and wasn’t burnt out. But I had a lot of dirty dielectric grease on it.

So this morning I got up got my electrical contact cleaner and cleaned up the fuse and the socket.

And presto. 14 volts at the battery with the engine running. Sure glad I didn’t have to spend 300 bucks on a stator.

Wife is happy and I’m happy.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Awesome!!! No doubt wife is happy you are happy!!

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Well got it fixed.

I was thinking about this last night. The first thing I checked was the fuse. And it was good. Had continuity and wasn’t burnt out. But I had a lot of dirty dielectric grease on it.

So this morning I got up got my electrical contact cleaner and cleaned up the fuse and the socket.

And presto. 14 volts at the battery with the engine running. Sure glad I didn’t have to spend 300 bucks on a stator.

I am a believer in die electric grease but a few years ago I got the bright idea to put it on the fuses in my gator. Unfortunately it seems like it attracts every bit of dust and dirt and then it builds up enough that the fuse doesn’t make good contact. I have tried my best to flush it back out of there but every so often I will turn on the key and nothing comes on. Once I wiggle the main fuse off I go but I sure wished I hadn’t put that in there.

Glad it was as easy fix.:good2: I think if it was the stator I would have considered adding on the 40amp alternator option. I added that a few years ago and if you run sprayer pumps or other electrical loads it is the cats meow.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I am a believer in die electric grease but a few years ago I got the bright idea to put it on the fuses in my gator. Unfortunately it seems like it attracts every bit of dust and dirt and then it builds up enough that the fuse doesn’t make good contact. I have tried my best to flush it back out of there but every so often I will turn on the key and nothing comes on. Once I wiggle the main fuse off I go but I sure wished I hadn’t put that in there.

Glad it was as easy fix.:good2: I think if it was the stator I would have considered adding on the 40amp alternator option. I added that a few years ago and if you run sprayer pumps or other electrical loads it is the cats meow.
Yeah I was thinking the same direction. The 60 amp alternator kit was 80 bucks more than a new stator. Not a hard decision.

The grease is what through me off. Like you I’m a big believer in Dow Corning #4. I thought well we have continuity through the fuse and electric grease in the connections. It should work.

I’m going to take the fuse block off. Clean it really well with electrical contact cleaner and replace the fuses as a precaution. Don’t want the misses getting stranded.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe they also offer pdf downloads. Contact them for more information.

I have not done business with this company, although their pricing is very appealing.
They were good to deal with. Sent them a message. Got a response 20 minutes later. He changes it to a USB drive I ordered it and had it three days later. The manual is a good quality JD manual.

·
Administrator
20,283 Posts
I love me some DC#4. :thumbup1gif: I've used it for many years.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Well got it fixed.

That's 300 bucks you can put in the H account.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's 300 bucks you can put in the H account.:thumbup1gif:
You would think that. But SWMBO’d has other thoughts on that matter.

·
Registered
361 Posts
They were good to deal with. Sent them a message. Got a response 20 minutes later. He changes it to a USB drive I ordered it and had it three days later. The manual is a good quality JD manual.

Fantastic news, Gator Owners are always looking for Tech Manuals. It will be nice to have another source.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Well got it fixed.

I dont think I have ever seen a stator bad on a 620/625i. Seen a few VRs bad. But my #1 go to is the fuse panel.
Glad ya got it fixed.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts