Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,704 Posts
I actually considered this. I have an x485 w 62c deck. I know commerical mowers spin the blades much faster. What stopped me was the hex belt. I thought I would have to buy a longer belt and was not willing to spend the $$$$. I never did check and see if I could even find a longer belt. It might be worth buying the pulley and seeing if the stock belt will still fit. :dunno:

·
Registered
12,295 Posts
I actually considered this. I have an x485 w 62c deck. I know commercial mowers spin the blades much faster. What stopped me was the hex belt. I thought I would have to buy a longer belt and was not willing to spend the $$$$. I never did check and see if I could even find a longer belt. It might be worth buying the pulley and seeing if the stock belt will still fit. :dunno:
Z5-u try it:munch:first. that would real nice if it works. i would go for it in a heartbeat if it does.:good2:

on another note-Zebra5--i've wanted to ask ya for a bit since i changed oil in my x475-what darn size wrench are u using on the oil drain plug??? 10mm-11mm-11 seems a hair to big, 10 on the ratcheting one just won't fit it-at least i couldn't get it to slip on, didn't try a plain box end wrench. u kinda have to be a double jointed person just to get to that lousy drain nut.

·
Premium Member
7,704 Posts
Z5-u try it:munch:first. that would real nice if it works. i would go for it in a heartbeat if it does.:good2:

on another note-Zebra5--i've wanted to ask ya for a bit since i changed oil in my x475-what darn size wrench are u using on the oil drain plug??? 10mm-11mm-11 seems a hair to big, 10 on the ratcheting one just won't fit it-at least i couldn't get it to slip on, didn't try a plain box end wrench. u kinda have to be a double jointed person just to get to that lousy drain nut.
Send me the pulley and I try it. I hate taking the deck off, but for that I will. I bought lift to clean under it and change/sharpen the blades, just so I would not have to take it off and flip it over. It must weigh double what the 285's deck did :flag_of_truce:

Oil drain is 10mm. It is HARD to get to. My long gone 285 had the drain on the right side, very easy to get to and used a much larger wrench!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually considered this. I have an x485 w 62c deck. I know commerical mowers spin the blades much faster. What stopped me was the hex belt. I thought I would have to buy a longer belt and was not willing to spend the $$$$. I never did check and see if I could even find a longer belt. It might be worth buying the pulley and seeing if the stock belt will still fit. :dunno:
I was told that the same belt would work, no need to find a different belt. The larger pulley took up the little extra slack that was in the “factory setup.” I ordered the 54c drive pulley yesterday from John Deere. I think they told me it would be here today or Friday. I’m going to try it..... haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
12,295 Posts
Send me the pulley and I try it. I hate taking the deck off, but for that I will. I bought lift to clean under it and change/sharpen the blades, just so I would not have to take it off and flip it over. It must weigh double what the 285's deck did :flag_of_truce:

Oil drain is 10mm. It is HARD to get to. My long gone 285 had the drain on the right side, very easy to get to and used a much larger wrench!
Gboyet93 is going to try it with the new pulley-so ur out of luck as far as Ralph sending ya one to try:empathy::mocking: my drain(oil) seems to have sprung a leak somehow:think: my youngest boy loosened it for me and tightened it too. now it leaks:nunu:i used a 10mm 3/8 socket to tighten it a bit more. slowed it down some. guess o-ring is bad:dunno:hate to shut it down right now--gonna order o-ring and the new drain to have on hand when i do stop it.

so what do u use to loosen, tighten it? a ratchet wrench, a box wrench, the open end wrench, or a socket and ratchet??:dunno:

I was told that the same belt would work, no need to find a different belt. The larger pulley took up the little extra slack that was in the “factory setup.” I ordered the 54c drive pulley yesterday from John Deere. I think they told me it would be here today or Friday. I’m going to try it..... haha.

:munch:we will be waiting the results-ok.

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
Gboyet93 is going to try it with the new pulley-so ur out of luck as far as Ralph sending ya one to try:empathy::mocking: my drain(oil) seems to have sprung a leak somehow:think: my youngest boy loosened it for me and tightened it too. now it leaks:nunu:i used a 10mm 3/8 socket to tighten it a bit more. slowed it down some. guess o-ring is bad:dunno:hate to shut it down right now--gonna order o-ring and the new drain to have on hand when i do stop it.

so what do u use to loosen, tighten it? a ratchet wrench, a box wrench, the open end wrench, or a socket and ratchet??:dunno:

Use your gimbal ratchet, Jim.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I just called John Deere and they said the pulley did not arrive today, but would definitely arrive tomorrow. I already removed the deck, so the pulley swap should be fairly simple.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Never had a problem with cut quality.Been using G6 gator blades with the anti blow kit.Just wondering if you speed the deck up how it will effect the bearings.

·
Premium Member
7,704 Posts
Just when i thought I got a free pulley out of BigJim somebody spoils it :nunu:

I use a ratcheting box wrench. Since I don't have a Gimbal Ratchet :laugh:

·
Premium Member
7,704 Posts
Never had a problem with cut quality.Been using G6 gator blades with the anti blow kit.Just wondering if you speed the deck up how it will effect the bearings.
I'll bet the bearings were designed for much higher rpm :bigthumb: Just grease them more often :mocking:

I hope it makes it sound like a chopper as in helicopter :laugh: BUT probably it make it sound like one of the whiney crotch rocket bikes that go roaring up and down the road

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll bet the bearings were designed for much higher rpm :bigthumb: Just grease them more often :mocking:

I hope it makes it sound like a chopper as in helicopter :laugh: BUT probably it make it sound like one of the whiney crotch rocket bikes that go roaring up and down the road
This pulley is clearly marked 62C.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Shouldnt have any effect one way or the other.
There are certainly different spec bearings, with regard to tolerance and play, but mowers, even high end mowers, dont use them. They would be too costly.
Deere has always used quality bearings, and thats where youd have an issue, using a cheap bearing, like in an MTD or some similar thing, then trying to speed it up.
Id bet if you cracked open an Exmark spindle and a Deere that used similar sized bearings, they would be the same.

Basically what you guys are doing is what Deere did in the late 80s with the 50" deck on the 332. They had a "speed up pulley" available that would increase blade speed to compensate for the lower speed of the diesel engine.
Of course some of us gas engine owners took it upon ourselves to fit that pulley to our 50" decks to get even more speed.
I can say that my 318 has been running one for nearly 14 years and nary a problem. I even did it one better. Deere specs 3450 as the High Idle speed (Max Throttle). I set mine to Onans spec of 3600. Well, it might be 3575, but still higher, which adds even more speed.
It certainly doesnt help the powerflow system, but without it on, that 50" with Gators is a BEAST.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guess what??? I ordered about 6 different parts from the local John Deere dealer. All the parts arrived except the 54c pulley. UGH. Haha. Looks like a Monday project now.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 54c pulley didn’t arrive today. Dealer said it would be tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
7,704 Posts
The 54c pulley didn’t arrive today. Dealer said it would be tomorrow.

That means you have time to put it all back together and make a test mow for a side by side comparison.

The wait is killing me :lolol:

·
Registered
12,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,704 Posts
:munch::munch::bigthumb:
Can you confirm the OD measurement? That the stock belt will still fit? That you can see a difference mowing! :munch:

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
:munch:

1 - 20 of 110 Posts