Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gage wheels on the 62c were worn out and flopping when I purchased the tractor.

I have new wheels, bolts, and dust covers now in hand. Big problem is getting old bolts off, they are a little worn

image.jpg

I was considering breaking enough of the old wheels off to let me vise grips or a pipe wrench on it. Any words of wisdom would be helpful. The picture is the worst one but they are all worn beyond getting a socket on them

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Good Luck
Doug

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Soak that nut in PB Blaster for a day or so to help your cause if they are all rusted like that.

Sears sells a Craftsman socket set that might help. Sears.com

I think they have some other types that work on rounded nuts like that too. I will use any situation to justify buying new tools and this looks like a good one to me.....:bigthumb::mocking:

·
Registered
719 Posts
I agree with what others have said. The wheels are trash, so you can hack them off however you can. Once they are hacked off, liquid wrench or PB Blaster will always help and he vise grips should be able to spin those nuts off.

Mine don't look that bad, but several of mine are sloppy. It seems like a really bad idea that they don't swivel. I have been thinking about trying to retrofit a swivel wheel onto mine. Looking at the replacement wheels, it looks like they start out really smooth. I wonder if that is why they didn't feel like they needed to swivel.

Did you buy the OEM JD wheels? Looking around, I see aftermarket wheels that look like a match. I am generally a fan of using OEM JD parts but for something that is clearly a wear item, I am a bit torn.

Lee

·
Registered
23,252 Posts
Mine don't look that bad, but several of mine are sloppy. It seems like a really bad idea that they don't swivel. I have been thinking about trying to retrofit a swivel wheel onto mine. Looking at the replacement wheels, it looks like they start out really smooth. I wonder if that is why they didn't feel like they needed to swivel.
The front gauge wheels on the 62D swivel - I wonder if the pedestal that slides onto the deck is the same diameter......

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I agree with what others have said. The wheels are trash, so you can hack them off however you can. Once they are hacked off, liquid wrench or PB Blaster will always help and he vise grips should be able to spin those nuts off.

Did you buy the OEM JD wheels? Looking around, I see aftermarket wheels that look like a match. I am generally a fan of using OEM JD parts but for something that is clearly a wear item, I am a bit torn.

Lee
Mine stopped being nice and smooth about the second time I mowed with them. If you go across any sort of driveway or gravel they get scuffed up quickly. It also didn't help I was mowing grass in Texas. The grass there is quite rough or was during the drought when I was there. They are definite a wear item but I would get JD parts. You know they fit and work that way. Look on Ebay or on line JD Dealers if the local guy seems to expensive. If you keep them lubed they will last a good while. Also if you set the deck correctly they will not spend all of their time on the ground being worn out. Mine travel lightly over the grass, theoretically they shouldn't touch but I am not that good at setting up a deck, nor do I care since the lawn I mow is just not good grass and just needs cutting.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Also if you set the deck correctly they will not spend all of their time on the ground being worn out. Mine travel lightly over the grass, theoretically they shouldn't touch but I am not that good at setting up a deck, nor do I care since the lawn I mow is just not good grass and just needs cutting.
You just described my lawn perfectly. I am also on a very uneven lot. As it is, even with the wheels down a bit, I still scalp if I don't lift the deck in places. Honestly, my yard is a candidate for a smaller deck. My biggest issue is that they gouge the lawn in tight turns. It doesn't happen every time. It is much worse when the ground is soft. I have already set them up from where the previous owner used to run them. I think if I go any higher, though, I will risk scalping more often. I should probably spend some time trying to adjust the deck better and see if I can improve the situation.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
It seems that the front gauge wheel wear out and take more abuse faster then the rear.So I only by 2 at a time (I know all yours need replace but in the future) put the new ones on the rear and the rear to the front.This way your only buying two.

·
Registered
719 Posts
It seems that the front gauge wheel wear out and take more abuse faster then the rear.So I only by 2 at a time (I know all yours need replace but in the future) put the new ones on the rear and the rear to the front.This way your only buying two.
That seems like a good approach. I will look closely at my wheels, I may have two that are good enough to keep using for a bit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
62c gauge wheels

The front gauge wheels do generally wear out faster as TRJ345 has pointed out.

This is due to the fact that if the deck is set up properly the front is approximately 1/8" lower than the rear. If the wheels are running close or actually on the ground then they will see more wear.

Also while turning on hard surfaces (asphalt/concrete/gravel, etc.) they will also drag "sideways" while making the turn if set too low or if the deck is not raised while making this turn. If you think of the rear tractor wheels as the pivot point of the turn the front gauge wheels will see more sideways wear if running on a hard surface then the rear gauge wheels because they are farther from the pivot point.

This is why JD suggests to set them so they don't "carry" the deck fulltime but only when running through uneven areas to keep the deck somewhat level.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts