Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the last time I was out mowing I finished up in the dark, using the headlights and LED work lights to see what was what. In the process I caught the right front leading edge of the discharge opening on a low cut stump that's on my digging list. This curled the deck and right front gauge wheel under.

It was an easy task getting the gauge wheel and deck edge back in place. I used a large c-clamp on the corner of the deck. Attached an oblong ring sling to the c-clamp and the other end to the 3320 / 485 backhoe stabilizer. Gently backed the 2032R up and pulled the deck edge into position. While under tension I used a long 3/4" drive extension with a 1" deep socket as a lever to pull the gauge wheel shaft back to true-vertical.

Now that everything was back where it belonged I started thinking about some sort of reinforcement to prevent the problem in the future.

I mocked up a simple 3" x 1/8" flat steel bar to brace the vulnerable right front corner of the deck. In the process I decided to include a leading edge skid to guide and potentially lift the deck over obstacles.

Bolted to the bottom of the deck the brace sits about 1/4" below the right blade. I clearanced the brace to allow for full cutting width and prevent contact with the blade under adverse conditions. After mowing an acre or so I determined that the brace doesn't seem to affect grass discharge negatively at all. The plastic discharge shield fits A-OK as well.

Next step will be to remove the brace and give it a coat of paint to prevent rusting.

Photos are attached.

PIR849PWS8m%VinHzaTU2Q.jpg

bgkl2nPbRo2QP+YLNeOqCw.jpg

72W7IkjjRkOfbvo+vx6gxg.jpg
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,463 Posts
Ditto on the fix Frank! Looking real good!:good2:
Nice idea on the reinforcement brace too!
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top