Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I only have 10 hours on my 2520 and today I used the 62D mower for the first time, without the FEL or ballast box. Thirty minutes later I had perfectly cut grass.... I had set the anti-scalp wheels to their lowest setting since I cut the grass high at 6" height.

My neighbor asked if I could delivery some large cut logs to his home nearby so I attached the 200CX loader and ballast box and picked up a few heavy logs and began my short trip to his house. His driveway is steep and the transition from the fronting road to his driveway is pretty extreme - steep. Well, when I made the turn onto his driveway the front right anti-scalp wheel caught his rising driveway and folded under the mower housing. :thumbsdown: I was pretty depressed since this is a new and once used 62D mower and now I'm possibly in need of a replacement. My fault for not raising the anti-scalp wheels to their highest position while the tractor was in transit.

My question is, can the mower deck be repaired or do I need to replace the entire deck for new one. I'm not happy about having to purchase a new 62D mower deck given this deck only has .5 hours on it since new. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Welcome to DT, and that sure sucks to have that happen on a new and expensive piece of hardware.

It can be fixed. Are you able to do cutting and welding? From what I can see in the picture, I'd use a 4-1/2" angle grinder with a cut-off wheel to cut through the factory welds to separate the kingpin tube from the deck. Then I'd grind away what's left of the factory welds, remove the paint, and re-weld the kingpin tube to the deck. Then prime and paint. It may not be as pretty as just new from the factory; but it should get you back in business.

Depending on how Deere sells replacement anti-scalp wheel parts, you may be able to save the wheel and just get a new kingpin, or it may be an assembly.

You're not the only one who has had that joy of breaking a new piece of equipment on its first use. Take a look at this picture and the next five to see what I mean. https://picasaweb.google.com/jtpyo.mjn/FIMCOSprayer#5219770273839335586

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
I think I would call your dealer. I don't think it should have folded under like that from the way you described what happened.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
UD2520,
I can totally relate. Sure would like to see if that bracket is actually bent or just the shaft. From what you show only the shaft is bent. I really do not see any damage to the bracket unless it is all done on the side not shown.:unknown:

Matt,
That is a really nice job on the sprayer mods. I really like your hose real.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bracket is bent downward about 2" where the wheel shaft goes through. I'm probably gonna try to bend the bracket upward, hopefully not breaking anything and will heat up the wheel shaft with a torch to see if I can straighten it... Yes, this really stinks on a new deck. In the future I'll keep the wheels in the full up position when not mowing.

Regarding the comment about returning to the dealer... I'm not confident they would accept the damage, but I suppose I could ask. The worse they could say is no.

On a side note, I had a heck of a time mounting the deck onto the tractor. When trying to drive over the deck in 4WD, the tractor would just push the deck ahead of it on the garage floor. The wheels were up in their upper most position, so the deck was sitting on the floor. I had to lay a few bags of concrete in front of the deck to hold it in place so I could drive over it. The process would probably work better outdoors on grass, but I have no way of moving the deck since for some reason, it didn't come with 3PT transport pins.

·
Registered
3046R with 385a, 320R.
886 Posts
were the wheels pinned in the highest position or allowed to freely float with the deck on the cement? I find this odd, I can hardly move my deck with all the wheels in the unlocked position and the deck on the cement.

On a side note, I had a heck of a time mounting the deck onto the tractor. When trying to drive over the deck in 4WD, the tractor would just push the deck ahead of it on the garage floor. The wheels were up in their upper most position, so the deck was sitting on the floor. I had to lay a few bags of concrete in front of the deck to hold it in place so I could drive over it. The process would probably work better outdoors on grass, but I have no way of moving the deck since for some reason, it didn't come with 3PT transport pins.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Deere should update there their advertising materials to reflect no transport pins. The JD brochures I reviewed, and what I based my purchase decision on, included the transport pins. JD's misleading advertising sets false expectations which results in disappointment when mower arrives without pins.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
The stopped putting the transport pins on in late 2009 or early 2010. Cost savings.
I'm thinking more like 2010 models
Mine is a late 2009 with the pins.

Greg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
were the wheels pinned in the highest position or allowed to freely float with the deck on the cement? I find this odd, I can hardly move my deck with all the wheels in the unlocked position and the deck on the cement.
Well I solved most of my problems today. I used a long metal bar to bend the kingpin tube and bracket back to their original position. Fortunately nothing broke!! :)

Then I heated up the kingpin with an acetylene torch and hit it a few times lightly with a sledge hammer on a level surface and wouldn't you know it, the kingpin is now straight. So I'm back in business with minimal damage. I'll say I'm very surprised how fragile the 62D deck is... :-o

On another note, I solved my problem with driving over the deck on a smooth surface. Apparently the few drive over attempts when the deck was pushed in front of the tractor were due to the tractor being in 2WD, even though the 4WD light was illuminated. Note to self, even though I've moved the lever to the 4WD position and the 4WD light is illuminated, the tractor may still be in 2WD. So next time I'll exercise the 4WD lever several times before driving over the deck to ensure the tractor is indeed in 4WD.

So all is good! :)

On the transport pins... I'm waiting on the transport kit from the dealer. However today I used the user (me) installed bucket hooks and chain to move the deck back to my garage.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Matt,
That is a really nice job on the sprayer mods. I really like your hose real.
Thanks Randy. It's too bad the hose reel paint has faded; but they are generally meant for indoor use. Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Well Deere should update there their advertising materials to reflect no transport pins. The JD brochures I reviewed, and what I based my purchase decision on, included the transport pins. JD's misleading advertising sets false expectations which results in disappointment when mower arrives without pins.
Maybe you can sweet talk the dealer into giving you the transport kit based on Deere's out of date advertising. The worst they can is laugh loudly and say no.

·
Registered
4 Posts
transport bracket part number for 62d stow n go

Well I solved most of my problems today. I used a long metal bar to bend the kingpin tube and bracket back to their original position. Fortunately nothing broke!! :)

Then I heated up the kingpin with an acetylene torch and hit it a few times lightly with a sledge hammer on a level surface and wouldn't you know it, the kingpin is now straight. So I'm back in business with minimal damage. I'll say I'm very surprised how fragile the 62D deck is... :-o

On another note, I solved my problem with driving over the deck on a smooth surface. Apparently the few drive over attempts when the deck was pushed in front of the tractor were due to the tractor being in 2WD, even though the 4WD light was illuminated. Note to self, even though I've moved the lever to the 4WD position and the 4WD light is illuminated, the tractor may still be in 2WD. So next time I'll exercise the 4WD lever several times before driving over the deck to ensure the tractor is indeed in 4WD.

So all is good! :)

On the transport pins... I'm waiting on the transport kit from the dealer. However today I used the user (me) installed bucket hooks and chain to move the deck back to my garage.
Hey can you look to tell me what the part name and number was of the transport bracket you received?? Or any other information that may be helpful (manufacture etc... I am looking for this and I am just getting the run around..thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
i didnt know they still made those brakets for the 3pt lift still

·
Registered
387 Posts
UrbanDeere2520 My 4WD lever on my 2011 2520 acts the very same way. I actually rely more on feeling the lever go into to 4WD than seeng the light.

P.S. remember to engage the 4WD lever with your hand rather than your foot as the on line video shows.

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,709 Posts
My question is, can the mower deck be repaired or do I need to replace the entire deck for new one. I'm not happy about having to purchase a new 62D mower deck given this deck only has .5 hours on it since new. Any ideas would be appreciated.
The shaft is replacable by itself, you would just transfer the remaining parts, if you ever decide to replace it. My old 62D had the left rear wheel shaft snap when the wife was mowing and about all she could of hit was a tree root.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts