Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past I have along with a number of 62D owners have had issues with the cotter pins breaking where the tie rod connects with the lift arms. Parts 20, 10 and 19.
Usually the problem is resolved with "beefier" cotter or other pins.
I tried that this season to no avail. I keep breaking pins, and finding part 19 (tie rod) hanging down on one side.
Last season when the issue first presented itself the cotter pin I think on the on the #20 part side went missing, and I found the tie rod part 19 bent up like a pretzel.
Last week I noticed it hanging down again, I don't think it lasted 1.5 hours of lawn mowing. So I wanted to ask your thoughts about what I am thinking.

It's still hard to pull together arms 10 and 20 to install the cotters in part 19. I used a bar clamp to pull the arms together so I could install the washers and outside cotter. So it must cause to much outward pressure on the cotters.
Seems to me that part 19 should install easily, and spin freely when installed ?
I'm thinking that last season when the cotter pin first broke it somehow bent the very end of part 10 or 20 outward. I wondering if trying to press (tweek) the arm(s) slightly inward would relieve the pressure on the cotters ? Are these steel that might bend with a press ?
I guess I should remove the arms, and put them side by side to examine, and maybe post a photo.

Of course these things need attention when you are the most pressed for time !

Attachments

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
Something isn’t right if you have to pry those arms together to get the pins in. With mine they are loose enough that they will almost touch if I want. Well maybe not that close but you know what I mean....

Do you possibly have the arms) reversed?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I don't think you could reverse them otherwise the hook would not engage the pin on the deck.
I just seems odd that the arm(s) might be bent they are pretty stout.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
The draft arms #10 and #20 should move nice and free, sideways. They are not reversible. I'm betting one or both are bent. #19 should most definitely install easily!

I added washers to the tie rod and even the rear yokes to take up any play. IMO, the were too loose from the factory! As for cotter pins, that was another bad deal from JD. The factory pins were a joke!:banghead: The only original factory pins I use are the ones that attach the draft arms to the frame brackets. I use hairpins everywhere else!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if I could "unbend" them while on the tractor ? That way i would know when to stop bending.

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
I wonder if I could "unbend" them while on the tractor ? That way i would know when to stop bending.
I guess it depends on where they are originally bent wrong. If you pull on them with the front still attached they are going to bend right behind the attachment point.

It would be nice if one of us were close enough to bring one over for you to compare yours to.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will pull both of them from the tractor, and eye ball them closely. I'm guessing that each end of the arms where they attach to the tie rod should be parallel with the long part of he arm ?

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
I will pull both of them from the tractor, and eye ball them closely. I'm guessing that each end of the arms where they attach to the tie rod should be parallel with the long part of he arm ?
Yes.

Once you have them off and laying on a bench it may be obvious.

Maybe lay them out - take a measurement between the front mounting spots - just like they would be on the tractor. Then lay out the connecting rod. Hopefully like I said after doing that it is obvious.

Check to be sure that the front mounts aren’t bent also.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Lots of space on my 2720. I replaced the pins with fine thread bolts and nyloc jamnuts. I've considered changing out the long rod with a threaded rod, spacers and nuts too. I just had to replace a cotter on it that was about to let loose.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Nice idea there wj! Personally, I wrench on enough stuff already. I'd rather just pull pins to remove my draft arms!:)

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
I replaced all the cotter pins in that linkage with split ring cotter pins like this

CD8ADEA6-22AF-4008-AEE8-FE63D4C3FFA7.jpeg

Most people say they don’t like them but they are easy for me to get on and off with my arthritic hands.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Stan that is a really nice replacement cotter for these factory ones! :thumbup1gif:How are they sized, and where did you get yours?

Attachments

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
Stan that is a really nice replacement cotter for these factory ones! :thumbup1gif:How are they sized, and where did you get yours?
Those are the exact ones!

I don’t remember where I got them. Likely from back when I had a local dealer. I probably mentioned how I like them and Dave must have given me a handful.

When I was searching for a pic I used “split ring cotter pin” and I got some Amazon hits.

Of course there is always the treasure trove website of pins and such -

Pins, Cotter, Rings - Pivot Point

Edit to add - I see they are called “kickout rings” on that site.

C438EE0F-D6AB-4E44-AF21-836AFAD4630B.jpeg

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haven't had much spare time while remodeling the bedrooms. Well I had a few moments today while drywall mud was drying (sick of working with the stuff). Told the wife I'll just be a few minutes in the garage.
I intended to just eyeball things, but started pulling cotter pins, and pulled the "tie" rod out. wjfawb0 that's the part that I am having issue with the long rod.

Ended up disconnecting the mower deck, driveshaft, and dropping the front connection, while the mower it is under the tractor.
Pulled the two main arms out, and to me it's not obvious I sure wish it was !
I tried putting a straight stick parallel to each arm, and they both have the same curvature to them.
It's got to be something bent, but so far I can't figure what it is.
I will say if it is one or both of the main arms they sure are stout. I can't imagine they could get bent or how I would straighten them. Maybe a hydraulic press.

Trying to decide if the two main arms once installed (~14 7/8") outside to outside at the front would result in same distance at the rear of the two arms where the rod installs ?
Based on that theory as I follow the arms rearward they measure ~22 1/4" OD, but do widen as I approach the rod installation holes if that makes any sense.
If the main arm(s) was bent it seems to me it would be at very far rear near the "tie" rod otherwise the main arms would not line up with the mowing deck bracket where the "J" pins snaps in.

Stopped for the evening scratching my head.

P.S. Now I'm wondering if I should have disconnected the mower outside, and rolled it into the garage and looked at it from the top down. :dunno:

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
Only thing that comes to mind then is the front mount for the arm(s) might be bent. But there again that is a stout piece of steel there.

I have my deck off right now but the attaching arms are still on the tractor. If I can remember (####) I’ll take some measurements for you to compare.

Maybe with some measurements to compare it will come to light quickly.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Coaltrain. I wish it was something I was doing wrong, but I think something is bent.

·
Registered
21,498 Posts
There really isn’t much to measure. If something wasn’t put together correctly it just wouldn’t go together.

Only thing I could think of is the spreader bar being wrong somehow in yours. Mine measures 15”.

I took some pics - maybe something will stand out for you? This is with all the linkage attached and the 3 point hitch lowered enough where the arms are touching the ground. It is all in a relaxed position.

5A94BD6C-D1DE-40F5-AE52-DF756020AD08.jpeg

547CF68E-E9A1-4084-8F00-D486123845B0.jpeg

8908C881-C04B-4486-9BB7-CB4F586E66B1.jpeg

9AA4AB3A-9494-45B0-9185-D85EE8875653.jpeg

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
coaltrain thanks for the pictures.
My spreader bar/tie rod is 16" long.

If I wasn't so stubborn I would try to find a longer tie rod, but I would like to find out just why it won't fit. :banghead:

Managed to pull the mower deck out from under the tractor. I placed the main arms on the deck with the tie rod bar in place, again nothing obvious.
I guess after I crawl under and carefully eyeball the front tractor mounts I will install the main arms and the spreader bar without the deck.

Sure hope I haven't created an imaginary problem for myself ! Would not be the first time.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Smalltown are you putting the tie rod in the same place as Stan's? I looked on JD parts and there are two different tie rods. Rod location is dependent with having the old style or newer style lift linkage. If you have the newer linkage it should be like Stan's!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts