Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this tractor and it's been used only to feed cattle for the last 20 years. I'm having an issues with the PTO. The lever feels good and snaps right in like it should, but the PTO shaft is free turning by hand with the level engaged and not engaged and the engine off. Thoughts?

Registered
I bought this tractor and it's been used only to feed cattle for the last 20 years. I'm having an issues with the PTO. The lever feels good and snaps right in like it should, but the PTO shaft is free turning by hand with the level engaged and not engaged and the engine off. Thoughts?
Are the four bolts that hold the stub shaft on tight?

Could be a broke pin inside at the inner end of the pto drive shaft.

TxJim or JD 110 or someone else with a better memory than I will see your post and give you a better answer.

Registered
Take the pto shaft stub off and see if the rod to changes between the 540 and 1000 pto move in and out. It might not be engaging the gears or the pin on the shift collar could be broke also, which happen to me. I know mine was getting wore and the rod was not pushing in all the way to engage the 540 gear. Then the pin on the shift collar broke and had to split the tractor.

Registered
Take the pto shaft stub off and see if the rod to changes between the 540 and 1000 pto move in and out. It might not be engaging the gears or the pin on the shift collar could be broke also, which happen to me. I know mine was getting wore and the rod was not pushing in all the way to engage the 540 gear. Then the pin on the shift collar broke and had to split the tractor.
That's better than my description and what I was referring to.:thumbup1gif:

Reactions: dvskenny

Registered
There are 2 speed change pins(key 32) that have a history of bending/breaking normally when pto stub shaft bolts get loose or when changing stub shafts from coarse spline to fine spline(vice-versa). If pin is bent sometimes one can carefully insert a "penny" between stub shaft & shift rod to get 540 drive gear shift collar engaged on gear. Also pto clutch pressure plate fingers can get the ends worn off. One can remove inspection cover under clutch housing to inspect fingers. Back when I was employed at JD dealership I altered with ""tractor owners approval"" several of these 3010/4010 tractors to 540 speed only & eliminated the tiny shift pins.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
There are 2 speed change pins(key 32) that have a history of bending/breaking normally when pto stub shaft bolts get loose or when changing stub shafts from coarse spline to fine spline(vice-versa). If pin is bent sometimes one can carefully insert a "penny" between stub shaft & shift rod to get 540 drive gear shift collar engaged on gear. Also pto clutch pressure plate fingers can get the ends worn off. One can remove inspection cover under clutch housing to inspect fingers. Back when I was employed at JD dealership I altered with ""tractor owners approval"" several of these 3010/4010 tractors to 540 speed only & eliminated the tiny shift pins.
Thanks very much, I'll check it this weekend

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you

Registered
You welcome hope we helped. I started having a problem with mine when I think the rod or the stub must of win a little, like some said shimmed with a washer behind the pto stub. The one day pto went out. Pin that goes threw the shift collar broke broke. $2 pin had to split the tractor.

Attachments

Reactions: DRobinson

Registered
jdmich
Do you utilize 1000 rpm speed on your 4010? If not did you consider altering the pto to 540 rpm only & eliminating the tiny shift pins forever?

Registered
jdmich
Do you utilize 1000 rpm speed on your 4010? If not did you consider altering the pto to 540 rpm only & eliminating the tiny shift pins forever?
Never used the 1000 pto. Thought about using a couple time with rear snowblower but have never used it. Yea we thought about eliminating it but didn鈥檛. Haven鈥檛 had a problem since we fixed it. If we ever have a problem again we will.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
You welcome hope we helped. I started having a problem with mine when I think the rod or the stub must of win a little, like some said shimmed with a washer behind the pto stub. The one day pto went out. Pin that goes threw the shift collar broke broke. $2 pin had to split the tractor.
OUCH, hope thats not the case. If so then we'll split it and move on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts