Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 6320 that I just purchased. I found a sensor at the thermostat housing unplugged. I plugged it in and then the
tractor would only crank and not start. I unplugged the sensor and it still would not start. I checked the fuses and found
the performance monitor fuse blown. I replaced the fuse and then the tractor would start. What is causing the fuse to blow?

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Just by what you described, you have short in that circut. Check those wires for worn insulation or a bad connector. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My guess would be a shorted sensor. I have repalced several of these for the same problem. It is the cold-start advance temperature sensor.

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
My guess would be a shorted sensor. I have repalced several of these for the same problem. It is the cold-start advance temperature sensor.
Yeah, a shorted sensor. Easy replacement and will solve your problem.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Don't discount the wiring....

Look for shorts to ground, pinched wiring, damaged insulation etc.

Maybe you can try starting off with a known good fuse, leaving the sensor disconnected, turning on the key to power up the circuit and see if the fuse blows. If it does blow - good chance its wiring. If it only blows with the connector mated to the sensor then good chance it the sensor thats shorted.

Tony

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Can't help with your specific problem, but, I've yet to see the vehicle that didn't need some extra spiral wrap or loom put over some wires to protect them.

When I get any new device, I go over it and clean up the wire dressing, add spiral wrap on any wire that can touch metal, cover any wire that could see sunlight with tape so it won't get nuked by UV. Even my generator (stationary use) had a few wires that needed some covering.

This is also a great time to check out a machine for bolt tightness and figure out what and where things are.

On my 4520, I found that the lines that carry antifreeze to the cab for heat were chaffing on metal and had to put spiral wrap on that. Not electrical but it's another example of looking things over. (I also don't have any pictures of wires I wrapped, but want to post a picture to make Randy's day).

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
The only reason a fuse blows is because it got overloaded(too much amps). Most lawn/garden tractors use separate soleniod for the starter and you said it blows a fuse as soon as you turn on the key. At that point the starter wouldn't(or shouldn't) have any current to it at all. A stuck on soleniod would keep the starter engaged till you unhooked one of the battery cables. Find what that fuse protects in electrical system and start looking for bare wires, maybe a wire has rubbed through where it's laying against metal or a mouse?
Now you find out the problem ,after found out.then try this.

If I disconnect the wiring plug that contains BOTH the wiring for the ignition/spark plug AND the alternator/charger then the fuses stop blowing(it is one of those 4 wire integrated plugs so if you disconnect it then all 4 wires are disconnected as a unit). I then tried pulling the spark plug out and plugged this wiring plug back in. After this, I put new fuses in and they did not blow? I hope ,your problem will solved.If not,then post another query?Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts