Green Tractor Talk banner

6400 starter removal

49K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  rideralberta 
#1 ·
I have a 6400 with loader, solenoid clicks when I try to start. Can jump across terminals then will start off key a few times, then back to clicking at solenoid. Bought two new solenoids none fit, and cant figure out how they come off, without removing starter. Is there a relay between solenoid and key that could be bad, if not, how does solenoid come off. If I have to remove starter, HOW IN THE WORLD DO I GET THE BOTTOM STARTER BOLT OFF AND BACK ON. Tried today, used crow foot wrenches, every sort of swivel and extension known to man, no luck, I can barely move it with swivel, but access from bottom is horrible. Wondering if there is an easier way to access or if someone has had any success on these before, scared to start without more information. hoping it is a relay, however starter drive does act funny. thanks for any help.

#3 ·
Attached are pictures from JDparts. The starter picture might help show how the solinoid comes off. Also a picture of a starter relay. It mounts to the starter. If you do not have one it may help. Solinoid is part number AL117012 it repalces part number AL113664

Attachments

#4 ·
This information is correct. The relay should be bolted right on the end of the starter. The solenoid is held on with three screws #8 in the diagram. I don't think you can get out all three of them without removing the starter. There is a special wrench made to remove the lower bolt. Part number is KJD10213. The wrench looks like a cut off box end wrench welded onto a long bolt. Even with the special wrench, getting the starter off is a real bear.

Attachments

#5 ·
Starter Wrench

I am sure this same wrench will work for the starter of my JD 6415. Is this available from John Deere? KD tools?

I don't need one yet (knock on wood)

Wrench size and length of bolt? If I were to make one.

Thanks

#6 ·
I am sure this same wrench will work for the starter of my JD 6415. Is this available from John Deere? KD tools?

I don't need one yet (knock on wood)

Wrench size and length of bolt? If I were to make one.

Thanks
Checking JDparts I will NOT need this special wrench! My JD 6415 has metric Hex Socket Head Screws holding the starter on that use an 8mm hex wrench. So the special wrench will not work.

JD 6400 uses a 3/8" stud with a hex nut that takes a 9/16" wrench
JD 6410 uses a 10mm stud with a flanged hex nut that takes a 15mm wrench
JD 6415 & JD6420 uses a M10 Hex Socket Head Screw that takes a 8mm hex wrench

#14 ·
Ahhhh, I remember rebuilding a starter on a 6400 or 6410 with a loader that wouldn't start. Took me 8 hours to remove starter, rebuild it (the easy part) and reinstall! I wish I had or made a wrench like that! I cant even remember what I used but defenetly get or make that wrench!

#16 ·
Starter Replacement on a 6300L

I'm in the middle of replacing the starter on my 1995 6300L John Deere so hopefully my experience will be helpful to others. Since the mid-day temperature here just made it to 0 Fahrenheit and the tractor is out in the field it's a nice time for a little Internet mechanic work.

To remove the two nuts on the studs that holds the starter on you need a special tool (KJD 10160) which doesn't seem to be available.
The tractor is made in Germany and most of the bolts are metric but the two starter studs are 3/8 inch. A 9/16" wrench fits the nuts.
It happens that a 14mm wrench is just about the same size just a little smaller. Not knowing it was an inch size I made a wrench similar to the special tool out of a 14mm metric wrench and it worked but was very tight. I would suggest making the tool from a 9/16 box wrench.

Here is a picture of the wrench out of the John Deere Manual.

Text Font Line Rectangle

#17 ·
I'm in the middle of replacing the starter on my 1995 6300L John Deere so hopefully my experience will be helpful to others. Since the mid-day temperature here just made it to 0 Fahrenheit and the tractor is out in the field it's a nice time for a little Internet mechanic work.

To remove the two nuts on the studs that holds the starter on you need a special tool (KJD 10160) which doesn't seem to be available.
The tractor is made in Germany and most of the bolts are metric but the two starter studs are 3/8 inch. A 9/16" wrench fits the nuts.
It happens that a 14mm wrench is just about the same size just a little smaller. Not knowing it was an inch size I made a wrench similar to the special tool out of a 14mm metric wrench and it worked but was very tight. I would suggest making the tool from a 9/16 box wrench.

Here is a picture of the wrench out of the John Deere Manual.

View attachment 37950

I understand that you can't edit your posts after two hours. Since I waited four days for the temperature to cross the 20 degree mark to put the starter back in I guess I'll have to quote myself to finish the story.

My replacement starter came from Abilene Machine, Inc in Solomon, KS. It was an aftermarket stater and cost about $175. The main body casting was sort of sloppy and didn't leave any room for the lower nut (and box wrench) to fit between the stud and the casting. I ended up grinding the casting with a welding grinder. Given you have to install the lower lock washer and nut with special tool and you can't see the clearance problem this becomes a bigger issue.

By looking at the price, description and pictures it appears that this starter motor is marketed by other outlets not just Abilene. I suspect and OEM starter would have avoided this problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.