Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it just started to happen, only in forward, all ranges, all gears. Reverse is all good. Repair books ordered but 4 weeks away.
Any advice. Thanks

·
Registered
971 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the forward clutch. Clutch could be worn, seals on piston could be leaking, or if power reverser, could be bad solenoid. Will need to do pressure testing to isolate the cause.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update

Pressures tested, only 100 psi at forward clutch test port,175 at reverse test port. But no cooling oil pressure. Does machine have to be at operating temp to get cooling oil to start?. It was -32c when I was trying to test. Spent 6hrs pulling out tranny and inspecting forward clutch piston seal and it seems to sit low in the groove, should it not protrude?. Fibre plates in both brake and forward packs look great.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
do you have a service manual?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forward drum was cracked

You could see the crack on the closed end of drum where there was a 90 in the casting. Ordered the update for it.

·
Premium Member
7,917 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks so today my fwd and rev pressure runs about 100 psi after about 40 minutes of use the fwd pressure will reduce down to 50 psi and tractor will stop pulling fwd but always back up
after warm if you idle tractor down it will have low pressure 30 to 50 psi and stop pulling reverse stays around 100

my tractor is mechanical reverser and no electric solenoids

some post say the pressure should be 150 to 175 psi but mine is around 100

on the front transmission port the psi is 200 until it warms up enough to leak off when driving the tractor fwd on that port if driving rev the pressure stays at 200 so apprears transmission pump is all good

what TM do I need to break down the transmission

many thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
7,917 Posts
You should list your tractor(s) in your signature.
I ASSUME you have a 6415, some guys post in threads if they have similar model (6420, 6410, etc).
For the JD 6415 TM 4648 is Operations & Test. TM 4649 is Repair

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will order the 4648 and i have the 4649

is there a way to turn up the drum pressure

thank you for you help

6415 john deere

·
Registered
971 Posts
There is a pressure regulating valve for system pressure, but since you have lower pressure on forward than reverse, it appears you have internal leakage that will require disassembling clutch packs to fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I concur thank you for all your help and i will get the transmission pull and clutch taken out for inspection.

john deere 6415

1 - 14 of 14 Posts