Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new farmer and after borrowing tractors from family for a year and a half, I was able to buy my first tractor...an open station 2003 6420 MFWD with 640 loader. Has the 24F/24R gears, which I really like. It has less than 1200 hours and is really clean.
I've used it for some light work, but also hooked it up to a 20ft batwing to do some mowing. It has worked flawlessly, and I have been really proud to own such a tractor. Today, I hopped on it to get some chores done and it acts like it is in gear and won't crank. Yes, as a new tractor owner, I admit that I have left it in gear before and only realized it when it wouldn't start back up. Thankfully it was on level ground. This time, it is in park, PTO off and hydraulic shuttle shift is in neutral (automatically goes to neutral when you put it in park). Opened the fuse box on left side behind the seat and all of them look good and are not blown. I have crawled under looking for anything loose and checked other connections. They all seem good. It just seems like a minor electrical issue. I don't have an multimeter, so I don't know if the starter is getting voltage, but I doubt it. It seems like a safety that is keeping it from letting it start. Does the PTO knob typically go bad.
It has had the old fuel lines replaced years ago as I received the service records when I purchased. So it has been taken care of. At that time the old fuel lines caused a fuel pump issue. As a result the fuel pump and new injectors were installed. Any tips on the safeties that must be met to start other than in park, PTO off, and hydraulic shuttle in neutral?
Thank you. I hope to have this tractor for many years on the cattle farm, but need better luck than this so far!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Welcome to GTT
A common no start problem is loose/corroded battery cable connection. I advise to check/clean all 4 cable end connections. I'll also suggest in acquiring a VOM so you can check electrical connections/voltage. Another thing to do is have tractor battery load tested.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Unless you want to be dependent on the dealer, get yourself the diagnostic manual for your tractor. Deere is excellent in making available their tech information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:
So far, I've load tested the battery and it is good! All lights/headlamps come on as they should. Later today, when it stops raining, I'm gonna test to see if signal is getting to the starter. I'm concerned it is the PTO knob gone bad making the tractor think the PTO is on. Thank you all for the suggestions, and I'll keep you posted, and please continue to make suggestions! Is there a difference between diagnostic manual and operator's manual? I have the operator's manual, but I don't have a tester to pull any of the codes. Is that what you are referring to hosspuller?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Zamfam … Deere does three types of manuals besides the operator manual that every machine gets. Every Deere machine is covered in some combination of Component, (ie alternator, engine, etc) Diagnostic, and Repair, manuals. Some machines have it all in one manual, other machines (I think depending on complexity) are broken into the above types.

These are the manuals the dealer uses to repair equipment. Deere is good to share this very detailed info to its customers... though they do charge dearly for it. ;) (pun intended) One machine trip (load, haul & back plus tech labor) avoided more than pays for the manual cost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update!!!! Tractor running. Put a hot wire to the starter and it started right up. While running, I turned on the PTO and turned it back off. This meant the PTO solenoid and switch was working properly. Turned the tractor off, and it wouldn't start on its own. That led me to tracing down the cables to the range shifter to see how that all worked. While under the tractor, I found a sensor was unplugged(picture attached). Of course, I had been under the tractor twice looking for something unplugged yesterday, but I missed this one that should have been very obvious. I haven't had time to find out exactly what sensor it is, but after plugging it back up, tractor fires right up!!! Thank you all for the help, and I look forward to learning more and becoming an asset to the JD 6420 community!!!! I'll try to research and determine exactly what this sensor is so that we will know to check it in the future!

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
That would have been a $1000 fix at the dealer. Go have a steak dinner with the money you saved.

Dave

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's really not nice when someone comes back with good news! And it leaves a trail for us other rookies to follow. I'm going on 10 years as a tractor owner, but still a rookie. Those repair manuals are worth their weight in gold. This forum is just as worthy, and many times a shortcut to an issue.

Glad you're up and running again! I'd go for a rare steak myself.......(y)

·
Premium Member
7,840 Posts
The sensor you found is the neutral start sensor.

·
Premium Member
7,840 Posts
I have the economy version, JD 6415. Mine is 2006, PowerReverser, Power Quad, MFWD, open station, 540/1000 PTO, radial tires and JD 640 MSL loader. Mine had 2500 hours when I bought it.
Yours looks very clean in the picture you posted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts