Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to check my “hibernating” attachments once in a while to make sure that everything is as it should be. I noticed recently that under the right side (looking from the back side...non-sprocket side) that I’m starting to leak grease out of the seal. I believe the part is LVU14903 and is fairly inexpensive, but I’m not sure how I should proceed to fix this. Looks easy enough (4-6 bolts) to remove, but I’m concerned about proper bracing so that the rotor shaft doesn’t get jammed and do further damage (bearings).

Anyone replace one of these before and have any helpful suggestions? Or even torque specs would be helpful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My John Deere Rotary Hoe Tiller 647 has the same issue, did you do anything special to solve this leaking seal issue?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased the part and was planning to fix last spring (2019)....but had a tragic accident and have not yet fixed. I don’t know that I will be physically capable to fix this any longer, either. Although, today was my first day on my tractor since the accident on 4/26/2019...miracles can/do happen. Good luck.

Reactions: 69project

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello again JRD
Thank you for your reply and I trust that all gets better from here forwards.

The 647 rotary tiller leaks randomly from the seal at the gear end.
As its still mid-autumn and warmish here it was time to turn in a few green manure crops.

Yesterday's effort included green manure, previously turned rows and some new ones too. The cowpeas and grasses wrap around the seals and blades and takes some cutting away to clear the vine type lengths.

Then onto some new ground that have random large basalt / granite plus softer type rocks. The rotary hoe takes a beating but survives for a future challenge.

Mysteriously no leaking is evident today? Maybe its only when its above 35degC the seal leaks? Not sure.

But does anyone have a procedure for dismantling the unit to replace the bearings.
Thank you:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Stephen. Every day is a little better...and every day then presents a whole new set of challenges to be overcome.

It's been almost a year, now, that I became a paraplegic. My wife and are were beginning to sheet the roof of a new 26x32 shop that we were building so that I could continue my hobbies (mainly woodworking) during our cold winters. Shortly after placing the 2nd sheet of OSB on the roof I stepped off the edge of the scaffolding and fell on my left side/back. I suffered multiple broken ribs, 5 of which needed to be fixed, cracked open my skull resulting in a TBI, and had burst fractures in 3 vertebrae. Fortunately I suffered only a partial spinal cord injury which has allowed me to, as of now, regain some leg movement. Although I am sporting a brand new wheelchair, I am able to "walk" with the help of a walker. Using the walker is much more physically demanding and I'm not able to walk very far, yet. I was still going to physical therapy until covid-19 shut everything down. While in therapy and in the pool I am able to walk on my own as well as go up/down steps. Translating that to land, however, is an extreme challenge...but I will get there. I am still laser focused to gain back as much functionality as I can get.

Reactions: eric102

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 8 of 8 Posts