Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was brush hogging today with my 650 and it started to sputter as if it were running out of fuel. I let it die and went a poured 5 gallons of fresh diesel in. After I refueled I tried restarting it and it just would not start. It coughed a couple of times but after lots of cranking, no luck. So far all I had time to try was to check the fuel on the on the outbound (towards injector?) side of the fuel filter and checked the fuel filter itself. Both were not clogged and had fuel flowing freely. Any suggestions of what to check next? I just bought it recently and this was it's very first tank of fuel (of my ownership) that it has gone through and it has never given me any starting problems, always starts up right away. I disengaged the pto's, and ran through everything in the owner's manual for a no start so I don't think it's any of the dumb stuff. Thanks!

·
Administrator
20,464 Posts
You'll probably have to bleed the injector lines of all the air. Have a helper crank the engine while you loosen (not too much. Just a couple of flats or less) the injector lines one at a time until only fuel comes out. It's preferable to bleed the air out at the injector rather than the pump side of the lines. Don't crank for too long. 10-15 seconds with at least a minute of two off rest in between to cool the starter. When you see a steady stream of fuel coming out, tighten the line and go to the next one.

Please be careful. The fuel system on the injector side is very high pressure. Wear gloves and some sort of eye protection just in case the fuel sprays directly at you. In most cases it just causes a messy dribble. (But you only have 2 eyes.) :good2:

·
Registered
60 Posts
You'll probably have to bleed the injector lines of all the air.
x2... from the operators manual:

Also, not that you would ever... no starting fluid :good2:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,629 Posts
Seems you are all set here ozziemo27. I ran out of fuel a couple times with our 650, with the advice given here you should be back up and running in a blink of an eye.

Nice post mbullism. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice post mbullism. :thumbup1gif:
Thanks, but just payin it forward... I get way more outta this place than I put in :laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,629 Posts
Thanks, but just payin it forward... I get way more outta this place than I put in :laugh:
You are one, members are many! Stands to reason. :thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,629 Posts
Thanks so much guys! I will give it a shot when I get home tonight.
It may not run completely right at first but if it starts you should be good to go.

Note: You may have to bleed the lines more than once, working towards the injectors.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Note: You may have to bleed the lines more than once, working towards the injectors.
...and then never ever ever ever, ever run it out of fuel again :cool:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I say the same thing all of the time!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
About the running out of fuel part..
Lets keep in mind that the fuel also provides lubrication and cooling of the moving parts inside of the pumps and injectors. Some pumps dont do well when ran dry. A simple thing like running out of fuel is now a 2K> repair bill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts