Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, Here we go. And ongoing dilemma, Have had this Gator for some time and it out of no where started this overheating issue. Before the fixes start coming in here is a list of things that have been done and observations of concerns"
1: flushed cooling system, No help
2: new water pump, Still overheating
3: Took to Dealer and had the head rebuilt. Not warped or cracked!
4: replaced radiator. Still (yep) overheating
5: new injectors, ALL 3
6: Flushed system with baking soda, Was told if there as a blockage in the block that would clear it. Can't tell if that changed anything?
7: Used a temp gun on it, Don't have that documentation,
8: no oil in water and no water in oil, So no a pressure issue to my knowledge,
9: Changed the thermostat, Sorry left that out!!
Strange thing is sometimes it will overheat and I can just coast along and the light will go offf and not come on for sometimes miles sometimes yards. Makes no difference if there is a load or not, Had a lot of discussion on another site and just couldn't find the PROBLEM?:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Yep that's what I've been doing, And NOPE Won't sell it, JUST WANT IT FIXED.

BRING ON THE FIX, can be only one, Will MAYBE!!!!!!!

ANY SUGGESTIONS? BRING EM MY WAY, Will be looking forward to your thoughts and fixes, Will to try just about anything? Juts about anything)

THANKS
waltmart

·
Administrator
20,282 Posts
Have you changed the thermostat? :unknown: That would be my first thing to do.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you changed the thermostat? :unknown: That would be my first thing to do.

Just updated , I new there would be somethings that I didn't;t mention that was one of them, Thanks, Yes it was changed and several times over the course of this ISSUE

THANKS, For the reminder,

waltmart

·
Administrator
20,282 Posts
Have you inspected the hoses? I have seen some that delaminated on the inside causing a blockage.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you inspected the hoses? I have seen some that delaminated on the inside causing a blockage.
Replaced all the hoses, Upper , lower and water pump little shorty and when th dealer did the head job, They replaced the injectors at that time with all the fuel line hoses as well.

Keep the fixes coming,
Be spring shortly and will need it in the back woods, For 2 tracking and harvesting fire wood.
I have been using it the way it is and doesn't seem to use oil and doesn't loose cooling fluid!

waltmart

·
Administrator
20,282 Posts
You said the light. Is it just a light that's indicating it's overheating? Have you checked if it actually is? Perhaps you have a bad switch or some bad wiring with an exposed or grounded connection.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Bad temp sensor?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Sounds like a bad sender or sticky relay. I would have checked those first.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You said the light. Is it just a light that's indicating it's overheating? Have you checked if it actually is? Perhaps you have a bad switch or some bad wiring with an exposed or grounded connection.
Replaced temp sending unit. Have checked it with temp gauge(gun) and Like I stated don't have that Documentation handy,

In the spring when the thaw occurs I will get it back out and check the temps on the radiator, engine block(upper N lower portions), water pump, lines and had done all this and can't find the documentation.

waltmart

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Does it boil over the radiator when it overheats?

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
This was my first thought also. First thing I would do is put a gauge on it and see what it is actually doing.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
If it does not boil over or lose any coolant perhaps it is not actually overheating and just giving a false indication of doing so. If at all possible ADD a real temperature gauge to the engine that you can monitor at the same time your dash indicates an overheating issue...at lease that would confirm or deny the actual engine getting hot versus an indicator issue.

What series diesel Gator is this one? I have the full TM1518 if it is an early one and can provide manual excerpts if you need any...

Chuck

·
Premium Member
13,941 Posts
Same thought , get a real temp gauge to see if it really is over heating .

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I think you're throwing parts and efforts at an electrical gremlin. Temp senders usually show increased resistance as the temp rises, you could use a multi-meter to baseline cold vs. hot and test when it faults to overheating to see what the sender is doing and compare that to the actual temp you measure with a gauge or laser temp gun. You'd measure resistance at the sender and at the dash gauge and compare those results too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you're throwing parts and efforts at an electrical gremlin. Temp senders usually show increased resistance as the temp rises, you could use a multi-meter to baseline cold vs. hot and test when it faults to overheating to see what the sender is doing and compare that to the actual temp you measure with a gauge or laser temp gun. You'd measure resistance at the sender and at the dash gauge and compare those results too.
I have the shop manual, tech manual, on CD and have found nothing to attribute an overheating issue in it?
It is a 2001 6X4 Only has 2751hrs, HECK JUST BROKE IN, Well used and taking care of!

Has not boiled over for a long time, Hopefully it is just a minor issue, WIRING - GROUND - Or something similar, I'll try and get temp gun on it in spring and get back on temps, radiator (top N bottom) hoses, water pump, top of block versus bottom,

I also know that on these if you don't burp all the air out of system it will not circulate though cooling system, and that will cause a overheating issue,

waltmart

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THANK-YOU SIR, "trboxman" I will make a note of this and look at it as soon as the weather breaks, Just trying to get ideas, Been dealing with it for some time and becomes very frustrating at times. (as in always).

THANKS AGAIN

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
I have the shop manual, tech manual, on CD and have found nothing to attribute an overheating issue in it?
It is a 2001 6X4 Only has 2751hrs, HECK JUST BROKE IN, Well used and taking care of!

Has not boiled over for a long time, Hopefully it is just a minor issue, WIRING - GROUND - Or something similar, I'll try and get temp gun on it in spring and get back on temps, radiator (top N bottom) hoses, water pump, top of block versus bottom,

I also know that on these if you don't burp all the air out of system it will not circulate though cooling system, and that will cause a overheating issue,

waltmart
You keep saying temp gun. Put a real gauge on it as said multiple times. It should have one anyway.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts