Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
good afternoon all-

looking for a little help with a 2000 6x4 Gator. has the Kawasaki FD620D engine. gator has under 700 hours on it and has never been abused. recently we noticed that there is a very noticeable vibration at lower RPM's. it seems to only be at a certain point when the clutch is engaging and disengaging. after it gets past this point in RPM's the vibration goes away. not sure at this point if it is the clutch or if maybe my cam has become unbalanced. i would like any advice that any of you can give. thanks for your help in advance!

here is a video that hopefully will show what I am trying to explain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbNVra5HpT4

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has the belt been changed out?

happens with the belt off too. I have also noticed that when its put in gear (both forward and reverse) I have to keep my foot on the brake or it will roll both directions. im going to pull the primary clutch this week and see if it still happens or not.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,699 Posts
Clutch probably needs a good cleaning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pulled the primary clutch yesterday and vibration is still present. seems like something in the bottom end is out of whack.

any other idea's before I pull the engine?

thanks for all your help

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,699 Posts
pulled the primary clutch yesterday and vibration is still present. seems like something in the bottom end is out of whack.

any other idea's before I pull the engine?

thanks for all your help
No, not a clue.
It doesn't sound too good though. Better to pull engine now and find out what is going on before it's too late.

·
Registered
927 Posts
:hi: Everything somebody says must always be a remote diagnosis! All screws and bolts are fixed? And in the vid I can't assign the noise coming from the gear or the engine or something else. Sorry.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I would pop the valve covers before pulling the engine. Thats an easy job. Makes sure it's not loose rocker.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:hi: Everything somebody says must always be a remote diagnosis! All screws and bolts are fixed? And in the vid I can't assign the noise coming from the gear or the engine or something else. Sorry.
Thanks JD- it was pretty tough to describe the vibration. ill be pulling the engine next week when i have time. going to take a look inside the case and see what we are working with. also going to consider a swap out to the honda GX360 air cooled engine.

ill try to weigh all options and post the outcome

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Don,

Here is some information that may help -- not much in the diagnostic section on low speed noises...

View attachment FD620D section from TM1518 manual part1.pdf
View attachment FD620D section from TM1518 manual part2.pdf

...and the parts catalog has good exploded views of your engine and its accessories in section 25:

View attachment PC2387 gas 4x2, 6x4 and diesel 6x4 Gators.PDF

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you are finding as you look into this...

Chuck

...wrong attachment initially -- air cooled engine...

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wanted to give you all an update come to find out there was a bad bearing in the bottom end of the engine and it needed to be rebuilt.

after discussion with the Boss (my wife) I was brought to the realization that I didn't have the time ( 2 little kids with activities every day) to rebuild the engine myself, so we opted to work with Ron Shorts

The Gator Guy

Ron specializes in the FD620D engines and had one ready to go for me in less than a week. the engine came quick and looked like new. I installed it over the weekend and all is good with the Gator again.

thanks for all your help, and if you are in need of an engine, Ron is the guy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts