Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Thinking about getting the 6x4 diesel Gator for mostly yard work, cleaning up, etc. I like the flotation type tires. Does anyone have any experience with the 6x4? I'd like to know about any problems of the front end having trouble steering when all 4 rear tires are engaged. Maybe more aggressive knobby tires on the front would help the steering. Please let me know.
Ronster

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi everyone. Thinking about getting the 6x4 diesel Gator for mostly yard work, cleaning up, etc. I like the flotation type tires. Does anyone have any experience with the 6x4? I'd like to know about any problems of the front end having trouble steering when all 4 rear tires are engaged. Maybe more aggressive knobby tires on the front would help the steering. Please let me know.
Ronster
Ok,guess I don't need a 6x4 TH Gator. (Thanks Jon)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Jon,

I don't know how many folks follow this topic closely enough to see new posts in less than a day, but until it gets a wider viewing I can give you some opinions and direct experiences. I have owned both a 4x2 Turf Gator and also a 5x4 AMT 626 which is the predecessor to the 6x4 configuration. The latter rig has but one front wheel and drives with all four rear tires on chain coupled rear axles...this gives a differential to the left versus right sides but not to the front versus rear member of the tandem. Even with that very constrained geometry, the unit turned pretty well on turf and loose material -- but did exhibit a noticeable tread scrubbing on paved surfaces. This scrubbing is more profound on the front set of rear tires, and if you look at a number of used units you will likely find the tread worn more on those wheels if no wheel rotation has been done.
AMT phantom view.JPG and here is typical tire wear: AMT 626.jpg

My personal preference would be to use HDAP tires on all wheels of a general purpose Gator, and would probably suggest against choosing the 6x4 for paved surfaces. Other members here will likely have more and perhaps different experiences to share.

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a 2005 TH gasser and the only time I lock the rear wheels is if I get in a mess. I will say that unless you have a bunch of weight in it, that is the most useless piece of equipment I have ever owned as it can't even get over a small snow bank and as soon as it sees mud it is stuck. I took the middle set off wheels off mine to put more weight on the other ones and still don't really like it all that much. As a matter of fact when I can afford to it is getting traded for a Polaris Ranger Crew 4x4.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts