Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a frame for my dethatcher, I'm at the point where I'm ready to put some holes in, and attach the lift pins. Cat I lift pins are listed as 7/8"... If I drill a 7/8" hole, will the threaded aide of the pin fit nicely? Or should I go up to 1"?

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
The major diameter of a thread is most always a few thousandths smaller than the nominal diameter. Yes, it should fit at 7/8, but you could if you feel like it use an 57/64 bit for a little clearance ( .8906 ).

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our drill index here doesn't go up quite that high, this was gonna be a harbor freight purchase, a 7/8" step bit, to make sure it's shank fits our drills hahaha.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
A step drill will most likely make your hole .010" oversized (and egg shaped) anyway. It will fit. If it's too tight just open it up with a die grinder.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
A worn step drill will make it undersized. :) You can do a little wiggling of your drill to open up the hole some more, or a die grinder works too.

I've got a 7/8" and even a 1" twist drill (both are Silver and Demming - which means the shanks are smaller to fit in more chucks), and they're a chore to use in a hand-held drill without going up in 1/8" increments. Step drills are the way to fly or bore as the case may be. ;) As long as your material isn't so thick you engage numerous steps in the cut, they're a wonderful way to make big holes. I use them all the time up to about 3/8" thick stock.

Another proven performer is a hole saw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts