Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Decided to abort my tiller project and buy a new one for my (OT) Allis D17 tractor. It has a cab and with the rear wheels all the way in my tread is at 86", but a 7 footer will have to do as the price jump for the next half a foot is way too much. Anyway, I see that there are a bunch out there. Just looking for impute if you have one or experience, etc.. Mostly for established gardens, rarely for breaking ground, I will use my plow and disc for that.

Tractor Supply, Country Line, $2,599.99, 6 miles away, can pick up with my pickup

Fleet Farm, King Kutter, $2,599.99, 60 miles away, can pick up with my pickup

Rural King, Country Way, $1,599.99, shipping to my house $326.62, total, $1,925.62, base price is 1000.00 less ???

Rural King, Taylor Pittsburgh, $2,343.97 + shipping unknown, looks like King Kutter

Agri Supply, Tillovator, $1,859.99 + shipping unknown

Land Pride, couldn't find a price or location near me

Brush Hog, $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Any others comparable or better, etc.

Thoughts,

Carl

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Have you thought about trolling craigslist? Sometimes you can find like new stuff cheap. That's a awful big tiller so I would imagine the seller would be motivated, as the market would be limited.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'll be checking right along. I also go to some equipment auctions in the spring as well.

Carl

Reactions: goat704! and PJR832

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you have or set up a Craigslist account you can save searches and get email alerts.

Example: log in, go to farm and garden, search for tiller, then save search. I think you have to set up the email parameters on the save page.

Reactions: goat704!

·
Registered
899 Posts

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Must be a whale of a garden. Most of the tiller smaller are made to offset to cut out tractor tire. King Kutter is gear driven brand...don't know about the others....there are only two types gear driven and chain driven. Also a slip clutch is important, some of the cheaper have the sheer bolts...which is a total nuisance. You'll need to own a bank to buy Landpride however they sold out to Kabotu so I don't know what their market is like. They are a chain driven unit. Also there are reverse tines and forward tines. Kinda confusing isn't it....but good luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

OK, thanks,
The first is too big, but like the idea, LOL
Second is 1000 pto, so no
The third are popular off brand that are at a lot of the auctions I go to. So, I need to do more research regards those.

My tractor should be near 50 horsepower pto, so thats the baseline, etc..

Thanks,

Carl

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Must be a whale of a garden. Most of the tiller smaller are made to offset to cut out tractor tire. King Kutter is gear driven brand...don't know about the others....there are only two types gear driven and chain driven. Also a slip clutch is important, some of the cheaper have the sheer bolts...which is a total nuisance. You'll need to own a bank to buy Landpride however they sold out to Kabotu so I don't know what their market is like. They are a chain driven unit. Also there are reverse tines and forward tines. Kinda confusing isn't it....but good luck.
I have 3-4 gardens, two are planted with buckwheat or rye, etc. Two with vegetables, etc. About 3 acres total.

The problem with my tractor is that I can not narrow the rear anymore because of the cab. So, I have a 86" rear tread. I was trying to cover up both tire marks, but may go with the offset, so I can get more power to the ground.

What best size for 50 horsepower 540 pto. 1.8 mph in low, low. Not sure if it can throw a 8 footer with great results.

Mostly worked soil, very rare breaking new ground.

Looking for examples that worked for you guys,

Carl

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I use a 70" with a 2032r , 24hp pto and don't have problems, but I have sandy northern Mn soil.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use a 70" with a 2032r , 24hp pto and don't have problems, but I have sandy northern Mn soil.
My soil is the same as yours..

Carl

Reactions: goat704!

·
Premium Member
423 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe an 8 footer. A 10 footer would require new gates. That's a who other deal, lol...

Carl

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts