Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. So I have a friend who has a back blade that he's willing to trade me for grain bin storage. I went to take a look at it knowing it was older and off an old Ford tractor. He thought it was 5 or 6 foot. It turns out to be a 7 footer.

I've been looking at getting a back blade to help with snow removal. Is 7 foot too large for the 1025r? I was really hoping for a 5 possibly 6 footer. I've even been considering taking it and cutting it down to what I want.

Anyone have experience using back blades for snow removal and is 7 foot too much?

·
Super Moderator
6,998 Posts
For most uses, yes, a 7' back blade is to big for your machine. That said however, you very well may find it to be a perfect fit.

First off, consider that you aren't required to sweep a full blade width. So even though it is a 7' wide blade, you can use it and only cut 3' into the snow. (other then your first cut!)

I have a 5' blade on my 2032R and wish I had access to a much wider blade for snow removal. Remember that a 7' blade doesn't clear a 7' swath when it is angled. You could also use it like it was an offset blade and you can run the machine down the cleared portion of your driveway while the blade hangs off to the side pushing the banks back

So there are uses for a 7' blade even on a smaller machine. But if you are thinking it will be your only means of snow removal you probably won't be happy with it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For most uses, yes, a 7' back blade is to big for your machine. That said however, you very well may find it to be a perfect fit.

First off, consider that you aren't required to sweep a full blade width. So even though it is a 7' wide blade, you can use it and only cut 3' into the snow. (other then your first cut!)

I have a 5' blade on my 2032R and wish I had access to a much wider blade for snow removal. Remember that a 7' blade doesn't clear a 7' swath when it is angled. You could also use it like it was an offset blade and you can run the machine down the cleared portion of your driveway while the blade hangs off to the side pushing the banks back

So there are uses for a 7' blade even on a smaller machine. But if you are thinking it will be your only means of snow removal you probably won't be happy with it.
It won't be my only means. Last year I used my FEL. It worked well but looking to increase that performance this year. Would love a front mounted blade versus the bucket but the price of them are more than I can swing at the time being.

My driveway is quite big and I have a lot of driveway to clear. Meaning some of it is stone and just a driveway but wide enough that tractors and semis could easily drive thru it. And then the main lot is big wide open area. So I was thinking I could back out of the barn pushing snow across the big open lot area. And then drive pushing snow with the bucket the other way. Back up pushing snow with the blade and essentially always be pushing a snow in opposite directions versus pushing snow with the loader backing up and going at it again.

I just thought the 7 foot would be too much. I'd like to be able to rotate it and go down sidewalks and stuff eventually too as my local town is terrible at keeping up with snow removal and watching all the local kids trudging thru snow is heart breaking. But guessing 7 foot would be too wide to do just that.

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,802 Posts
It won't be my only means. Last year I used my FEL. It worked well but looking to increase that performance this year. Would love a front mounted blade versus the bucket but the price of them are more than I can swing at the time being.

My driveway is quite big and I have a lot of driveway to clear. Meaning some of it is stone and just a driveway but wide enough that tractors and semis could easily drive thru it. And then the main lot is big wide open area. So I was thinking I could back out of the barn pushing snow across the big open lot area. And then drive pushing snow with the bucket the other way. Back up pushing snow with the blade and essentially always be pushing a snow in opposite directions versus pushing snow with the loader backing up and going at it again.

I just thought the 7 foot would be too much. I'd like to be able to rotate it and go down sidewalks and stuff eventually too as my local town is terrible at keeping up with snow removal and watching all the local kids trudging thru snow is heart breaking. But guessing 7 foot would be too wide to do just that.
My front snow plow blade is 87" wide on my 1025r. It's ideal for my needs, but its certainly not something to start with or for someone on a steep learning curve.

My other concern, to be honest, is that it is Category 1 compatible, since its an older plow. I would definitely measure the attachment points before you get to far into it...........

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
The angle of cut will be kinda goofy as the hitch points will be high and just getting it to clear the ground may be a challenge.

Blade is likely not going to spin around backwards without running into the tires.

I'd hook up to it and figure out if you can get it up off the ground enough to drive without Cocking it all out of whack by shortening Top link all the way. Its perfomance will be less than steller like this.
Angleing the blade while all jacked out of level just multiplies other issues.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My front snow plow blade is 87" wide on my 1025r. It's ideal for my needs, but its certainly not something to start with or for someone on a steep learning curve.

My other concern, to be honest, is that it is Category 1 compatible, since its an older plow. I would definitely measure the attachment points before you get to far into it...........
It appears it's a category 1 but my friend attached a drawbar to bring it up to category 3 to fit his tractor. But he bolted it on so it can be removed.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The angle of cut will be kinda goofy as the hitch points will be high and just getting it to clear the ground may be a challenge.

Blade is likely not going to spin around backwards without running into the tires.

I'd hook up to it and figure out if you can get it up off the fround enough to drive without Cocking it all out of whack by shortening Top link all the way. Its perfomance will be less than steller like this.
Angleing the blade while all jacked out of level just multiplies other issues.
I have thought about it but he has some work to get it out of his barn as it's kind of buried. But I wouldn't mind trying it and seeing how it goes. I think id prefer a 6 footer tho

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.