Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My X758, now 2 years old, has moisture developing within the gauge cluster, and the moisture doesn't dissipate as JD indicates. I'm told the JD is coming out with a redesigned cluster in early New Year. Is anyone else having the same problem? Please reply to [email protected] Thank you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had moisture show up at ~3hrs (though I've got a 500 series). Replaced by dealer but on the last mowing of the year I had it start to come back on the new one. I'll have to see what happens in the spring but I'm curious to know if the new display will seal better.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I think if that were mine,, I would get the heating pad out of the hall closet, and put the pad on it for two days,,

Low at first, then high if necessary.
Heat will drive off the moisture,, and it will take only a small amount of heat to affect fogging,,,

I am sure just the right amount of heat will drive off the moisture,,,:dunno:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah, I have a x738 and the instrument panel occasionally fogs up. The instrument panel (IP) has a breather vent and needs to breath to prevent WATER from accumulating. Don't try to seal it up.

I agree with CADplans, you just need to bake the moisture out. Put the tractor in the sun, or find another way to heat up the IP for an extended period of time. It should clear up.

JDDave

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
My 2016 x758 has had that issue since brand new. It doesn't happen often, but when it gets a lot of sun on the gauge cluster it will come back. I've learned to live with it. Not a major problem in my opinion. Your dealer will probably replace it under warranty for you if you'd like.

Rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
700 series JD Tractors

Thanks for all the comments. My concern is that I don't know where the moisture is coming from. There is no temperature difference between the cluster and the outside air which would generate moisture deposits on the warmer side of the cluster. The tractor is housed in a dry barn, the inside temp very close to the outside temp. JD can't tell me why the problem, only to say that the cluster needs redesign. The current cluster is sealed, the new one will have proper covered vents. Yes, they will probably replace it under warranty, but I suspect that will be a negotiation also. I also agree with one comment, that the moisture probably is not detrimental.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
700 series John Deere tractors

Moisture in the instrument cluster -- is it possible for the LED elements to give off moisture from the liquid side if the diodes to accumulate inside the sealed cluster and create fogging? Does anybody out there understand the design of the cluster?

My email is [email protected]

Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
537 Posts
Moisture in the instrument cluster -- is it possible for the LED elements to give off moisture from the liquid side if the diodes to accumulate inside the sealed cluster and create fogging? Does anybody out there understand the design of the cluster?

My email is [email protected]

Thanks,
Phil
The LCD panel itself isn't going to give off its own moisture.

The condensation inside the display is simply from moisture in the air getting inside the display housing. John Deere tried to seal the display cluster up tightly to prevent this from happening but it is a very difficult thing to do to completely seal out air from going in and out of a piece like the display cluster. SO once the air and moisture get into the display it really has no easy way to get back out of the cluster. The moisture while annoying shouldn't really pose any huge risk to the display. It will come and go based on the current weather conditions.

If JD is coming up with a fix and will replace displays for free under warranty I will most likely get in that line because my display has had moisture since day 1.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks.Good information.

I do believe that from an engineering standpoint, that heat, moisture, and ambient temperature, in combination, causes the problem. Additionally, the fact that the cluster is not vented adds significantly. My guess is that the replacement clusters will be the same, but vented. Will they field test them before rollout? Obviously, the current clusters weren't.
You would think that with so many X700 series out there, that JD would have resolved the problem by now. If I hadn't repeatedly inquired of both the dealer and JD technicians, I wouldn't have had a clue that they knew about it and were doing something to resolve it.

Were any of you 700 series owners ever notified of the problem, and solutions under warrantee? Please lets us know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I haven't received any recall information from my dealer yet. Last summer I received a call from my dealer when they had a computer update they had to complete and came out to my house to perform the update.

·
Premium Member
7,702 Posts
I hope they screen any vents. I would not want to see bugs crawling around under the dash lens :nunu: Main reason I have not added my own vents.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
just happened to me again yesterday but finally took the pic. It was mid 50 degrees outside and a little overcast. I was using the tractor to haul stuff in my cart out of the garage to my bilco. Did 4/5 trips before i shut it down and let it sit. I came back a few minutes later and noticed it was fogged up.

Photo Dec 29, 1 23 37 PM (1).jpg

·
Registered
123 Posts
My x739 is doing the same thing. It’s stored in an garage w/o heat. The garage is spray foam insulated and warmer than outside. When I have used it only 4 times and bring it in it develops some moisture. It goes away between uses.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I haven't received any recall information from my dealer yet. Last summer I received a call from my dealer when they had a computer update they had to complete and came out to my house to perform the update.
Recalls are generally only for safety issues. This would fall under a service bulletin/product improvement for a known problem. Usually no charge if the unit is still under warranty.

Recalls are always free unless the unit was deemed a total loss or salvage. Then you are out of luck.

So you will probably never receive a notification about the fogging. It's up to you to bring this to the dealerships attention. Just make sure it is handled before the warranty is up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts