Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I hope all is well, I just got my new to me JD7100 6 row planter home and I am in the process of get it disassembled and cleaned up and refurbished to turn it into a 3 row food plot planter. I had a couple questions that I hope someone can help me on. I am curious if I can turn this into a drag type instead of a 3 point pickup for ease of dragging it through the roads to get where I am going. How would I go about building a carrier. Also since I am going on 3 rows will 1 drive wheel be enough or do I need 2. Is in the middle of hoppers good for a drive unit or is on one end better that the middles. Anyway thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
Hey guys I hope all is well, I just got my new to me JD7100 6 row planter home and I am in the process of get it disassembled and cleaned up and refurbished to turn it into a 3 row food plot planter. I had a couple questions that I hope someone can help me on. I am curious if I can turn this into a drag type instead of a 3 point pickup for ease of dragging it through the roads to get where I am going. How would I go about building a carrier. Also since I am going on 3 rows will 1 drive wheel be enough or do I need 2. Is in the middle of hoppers good for a drive unit or is on one end better that the middles. Anyway thanks in advance.
It takes very little to spin the meters, one would do it. I would think the middle would be better to drive from, if you are keeping the rate gear box that will play into your decision. With 3 rows consider where they will be if your going to cultivate it with the same tractor because if one row is in the middle of the tractor your cultivator will need to be shifted off center or your planter will need to be.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
What about adding a center link, hitch and wheels to something like this? This was a web image capture, and unfortunately the link to was broken.

Several options come up with a google search for 3 point hitch caddy, but unfortunately they are for BIG implements, not something that will weight a few hundred pounds.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It takes very little to spin the meters, one would do it. I would think the middle would be better to drive from, if you are keeping the rate gear box that will play into your decision. With 3 rows consider where they will be if your going to cultivate it with the same tractor because if one row is in the middle of the tractor your cultivator will need to be shifted off center or your planter will need to be.
Hey thanks for the reply, I am going to keep the gear box that came on it so I can adjust population. I know the plate style is not as accurate as the later offerings, but as this will only see food plot action I think the accuracy is fine as long as I can get parts to rebuild it and get it working right. I think I understand your cultivator comment but I am going to build a cultivator out of a 6 row deere cultivator I got and will build it to fit the rows accordingly. Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about adding a center link, hitch and wheels to something like this? This was a web image capture, and unfortunately the link to was broken.

Several options come up with a google search for 3 point hitch caddy, but unfortunately they are for BIG implements, not something that will weight a few hundred pounds.
Thanks for the reply as well. That's kind of what I had in mind, I have a mast from an old forklift and I was going to cut a section out that would give me the proper lift height and weld a tongue and an axle on it and weld the 3 point hitch point onto the mast and use my rear SCV valve to raise and lower the hydraulic cylinder on the mast that in turn would raise the planter. If that makes sense? LOL I have almost talked myself into just going with the 3 point and not rethink the wheel here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know where I can find parts for the plate style boxes, or maybe a junkyard that would have the parts I could buy. Also if anyone has an old 7000 that has the cylinders and lift/drive I would like to buy those as well. Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
12,521 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find parts for the plate style boxes, or maybe a junkyard that would have the parts I could buy. Also if anyone has an old 7000 that has the cylinders and lift/drive I would like to buy those as well. Any help is appreciated
https://www.worthingtonagparts.com/john-deere-planter-parts

https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/parts-categories/planter-drill-parts/john-deere-planter-drill-parts/7100.html

https://www.sloanex.com/planter-parts/john-deere.html

Just searching on google.

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
The 7100 is not a plate style planter. Starting with the 7000 they had finger style meters that are very accurate. They were the first generation on the high speed planters, high speed be relative today but they will plant great in stock form up to 5-6mph.

I have used both of these for parts.

https://www.sloanex.com/planter-parts/john-deere/7000-maxemerge.html

https://www.shoupparts.com/products/planter-parts/

If you want to become a complete planter geek this sight has many video’s and explainations of how they work.

Precision Seed Spacing & Depth Control | Precision Planting

·
Registered
4,432 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 7100 is not a plate style planter. Starting with the 7000 they had finger style meters that are very accurate. They were the first generation on the high speed planters, high speed be relative today but they will plant great in stock form up to 5-6mph.

I have used both of these for parts.

https://www.sloanex.com/planter-parts/john-deere/7000-maxemerge.html

https://www.shoupparts.com/products/planter-parts/

If you want to become a complete planter geek this sight has many video’s and explainations of how they work.

Precision Seed Spacing & Depth Control | Precision Planting

I went today and started tearing the planter down to confirm what I had. My hoppers have a Plate in them that is red and has maybe 30 teeth, The drive coupler spins the disc, which I assume, the seed drops in and it then goes down the tube. So I am curious now if I have a short run unit based on a 7100. The serial number plate is clearly marked P7100.

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
I went today and started tearing the planter down to confirm what I had. My hoppers have a Plate in them that is red and has maybe 30 teeth, The drive coupler spins the disc, which I assume, the seed drops in and it then goes down the tube. So I am curious now if I have a short run unit based on a 7100. The serial number plate is clearly marked P7100.
That sounds like a plate.

Which is it like rectangle box’s photo is 7100. I only know off them having finger meters.

Round cans is a 71, these were plate style.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sounds like a plate.

Which is it like rectangle box’s photo is 7100. I only know off them having finger meters.

Round cans is a 71, these were plate style.
its a box style hopper and not a can. Yea it surprised me as well after I read your earlier response. I guess that tells me. that as usual, I have a weird one that parts aren't available for.

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
That is odd and having 30 slots is a lot. What did the person you bought it from use it for? With that many slots it seems like it might have been used for soybeans.:dunno:

You should ask your dealer what you have.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea it was used exclusively as a bean planter but he also had the Grain Sorghum plates as well. I asked if he might have retrofitted it back to the older style, and he said it was bought new at Deere dealer local to us, that is now out of business. I cant find any parts as of yet but I may not be looking for the right thing yet. Everything I have found shows the finger style and not the plate. My concern was I was going to put newer hoppers on from a much newer planter and don't think it will work now.

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
I was thinking maybe it really was a drill and not a planter but I can’t find anything on 7100 drill either.:dunno:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was thinking maybe it really was a drill and not a planter but I can’t find anything on 7100 drill either.:dunno:
No I messed up and wrote drill in the title. lol it is a 6 row 38" planter with factory row markers. The serial tag is plainly marked P7100 with the serial number 027760A. I would like to stay with the plates, but I think parts are going to limit me on options. I may have to upgrade to finger style just to be able to get it going, as it is going to need some new hoppers. Oh well as usual my "good" deals aint so good. story of my life.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
If you only need seed plates, check with your seed corn provider. Seed corn companies used to have seed plates available. Most of the seed company plates were plastic. OEM John Deere plates were cast.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you only need seed plates, check with your seed corn provider. Seed corn companies used to have seed plates available. Most of the seed company plates were plastic. OEM John Deere plates were cast.
Thanks for the suggestion but I am one of those seed corn suppliers. LOL I will ask around and see if any of my counterparts has any in other areas, as up until 10 years ago we didn't have any corn grown in my area so I don't remember anyone getting plates with their seed here.
I need other parts besides the plates, such as hoppers and gears and such.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts