Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is anyone having problems with their 72" mower? Had about 5hrs on mine and it started making bad noise, find out that the belt is hitting /slapping the guides and deck in the back. Dealer has replaced the tensioner and pulleys, still not fixed. Just want to see if anyone else is having this issue and how it was fixed. thanks

update-the noise is every once in awhile.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Is anyone having problems with their 72" mower? Had about 5hrs on mine and it started making bad noise, find out that the belt is hitting /slapping the guides and deck in the back. Dealer has replaced the tensioner and pulleys, still not fixed. Just want to see if anyone else is having this issue and how it was fixed. thanks
I have not had a problem with mine as yet. I have 265 hours on the tractor and a lot of mows and I have not experienced anything like this. Have you looked at the spring tensioner to see how loose or tight it is? I suspect it is loose and resulting in belt slop. Have a look and report back what you find.

Rev 1 - Check the belt for proper routing also. Sometimes people can do amazing things when they put things together and don't actually know what they are doing.
http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMLVU30964_19/

Sincerely

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not had a problem with mine as yet. I have 265 hours on the tractor and a lot of mows and I have not experienced anything like this. Have you looked at the spring tensioner to see how loose or tight it is? I suspect it is loose and resulting in belt slop. Have a look and report back what you find.

Sincerely
Belt tension seems to be fine. I think the deck itself is flexing because it doesnt do it all the time. My yard is flat but not golfgreen smooth. thanks

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Belt tension seems to be fine. I think the deck itself is flexing because it doesnt do it all the time. My yard is flat but not golfgreen smooth. thanks
The deck doesn't flex except if you hit hard on something, and it would only be momentary, so I doubt deck flex has anything to do with it.

Is your mower deck securely connected at all points? Especially the two rear lift/support points? Rear deck lift locks are engaged properly?

Sincerely

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
My 72" MMM is almost thirty years old. Has had only one belt change & one idler pulley bearing change out in all that time.
I was going to suggest that maybe your deck shell has somehow warped or you have a pulley which is running with a bad bearing or bent shaft allowing the pulley to move up & down from a horizontal steady plane. Don't know if I stated myself clearly here, but your not going to fix this by having a dealer throw parts at it. I would remove all belt covers, etc., And make close observations while running & maybe even taking a video of its operation.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 72" MMM is almost thirty years old. Has had only one belt change & one idler pulley bearing change out in all that time.
I was going to suggest that maybe your deck shell has somehow warped or you have a pulley which is running with a bad bearing or bent shaft allowing the pulley to move up & down from a horizontal steady plane. Don't know if I stated myself clearly here, but your not going to fix this by having a dealer throw parts at it. I would remove all belt covers, etc., And make close observations while running & maybe even taking a video of its operation.
Hey Maddog, thanks. yeah i think the deck is warped or weak. If it isnt fixed this time i will demand a new deck from Deere, there was around 5hrs total on the machine when it started so well within the warranty. I will start screaming lemon law. hahaha

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The deck doesn't flex except if you hit hard on something, and it would only be momentary, so I doubt deck flex has anything to do with it.

Is your mower deck securely connected at all points? Especially the two rear lift/support points? Rear deck lift locks are engaged properly?

Sincerely
Hey HomesteadJoe, i am sure the deck does flex some being as wide as it is. and Yes the noise is only momentary. the dealer has had it on and off a few times now so i would hope they got it mounted correctly. thanks

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Hey HomesteadJoe, i am sure the deck does flex some being as wide as it is. and Yes the noise is only momentary. the dealer has had it on and off a few times now so i would hope they got it mounted correctly. thanks
I just did everything I could to try and flex my 72" MMM deck, but I was unable to make it flex in any appreciable/measureable way. This being the case, i can't see how it would flex under normal conditions just hanging under the tractor from its mounts unless the deck strikes something hard while the tractor is in motion, and if that were the case you would know you hit something or scraped the ground or a rock with the deck housing. I think this flex theory is a red herring, a rabbit hole if you will. I find no evidence of appreciable flexing. Of course there is always the possibility that my deck is better than your deck... ;-)

Sincerely

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a problem with my 72" MMM when I first got it and thought the deck was flexing as well, however the bolt that holds the auto connect PTO to the carriage assembly was installed backwards and the bolt would contact the PTO on uneven terrain.
The flex was happening to the auto connect assembly not the deck.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a problem with my 72" MMM when I first got it and thought the deck was flexing as well, however the bolt that holds the auto connect PTO to the carriage assembly was installed backwards and the bolt would contact the PTO on uneven terrain.
Hey SweetLou, thanks for the info. So was that causing the belt to rub and slap against the back of the deck?? The dealer told me friday they dont know whats wrong so i told them i wanted a new deck. We shall see how this goes.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
I had a similar but different problem with this same bolt/nut...... Thought it might be of interest to you...
New 2 Series - Independent Height of Cut Kit - Minor Design Issue

Sincerely

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update. Called the dealer yesterday to ask where we stand with getting a new mower deck. They said it is being referred to the regional JD rep. So not wanting to waste anymore time, keep in mind the dealer has had my new tractor in their shop more than i have had it at my property, I called JD Corp because i want to speak to this regional rep. Anyway after a lot of wasted time and no answers i got to speak to a supervisor, she is going to investigate and call me back today. Still would not give me the name and contact number for the regional rep. Seems working for JD is like working for the CIA everything and everyone is a secret.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey SweetLou, thanks for the info. So was that causing the belt to rub and slap against the back of the deck?? The dealer told me friday they dont know whats wrong so i told them i wanted a new deck. We shall see how this goes.

It wasn't causing the belt to rub or slap it was causing the PTO shaft to hit the bolt in question when on uneven terrain.
This was definitely loud and violent.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update, great news. the John Deere rep approved the deck replacement thank you sir whom ever you are. So i got this news from JD Corp, still havent heard from the dealer. Guess i will have to call them as always. Thanks to everyone one here for their input.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Update, great news. the John Deere rep approved the deck replacement thank you sir whom ever you are. So i got this news from JD Corp, still havent heard from the dealer. Guess i will have to call them as always. Thanks to everyone one here for their input.
Congratulations! You should count yourself as one of the MOST fortunate customers of the great Deere Corporation. I'm still trying to resolve an issue arising from a moron technician (dare I use the word) who was clueless on how to install a oil seal. I say "was" because they fired his ass but that still has not solved my issue. If old man John Deere only knew...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congratulations! You should count yourself as one of the MOST fortunate customers of the great Deere Corporation. I'm still trying to resolve an issue arising from a moron technician (dare I use the word) who was clueless on how to install a oil seal. I say "was" because they fired his ass but that still has not solved my issue. If old man John Deere only knew...
Call corp HQ 800-537-8233, start a case with them. These dealers out here are really giving Deere a bad name. Good luck

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So while i am waiting on my new deck to arrive, I got a loaner mower from the dealer. its a zturn 960 with the 7 iron Pro 72" deck. Now let me tell ya that is how the drive over deck for my 2038 should be built. If there are any JD engineers on this site tell them to start with the 7 iron pro and modify for the driveover quick connect version on all 72" mower decks.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
So while i am waiting on my new deck to arrive, I got a loaner mower from the dealer. its a zturn 960 with the 7 iron Pro 72" deck. Now let me tell ya that is how the drive over deck for my 2038 should be built. If there are any JD engineers on this site tell them to start with the 7 iron pro and modify for the driveover quick connect version on all 72" mower decks.
I'm sure they are really eager & listening to your wishes. But if it adds so much as a single cent to the item, forget about it. And besides what would you know- your just a customer. There way of thinking, not mine.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So the saga continues. I got my tractor back yesterday with the brand new mower deck. After closer inspection it appears that they took the hardware off of my old deck and put it on the new one. Spindles, tensioner, idler, blades maybe the belt too all from old deck. I did get new anti scalping wheels and discharge flap, hahaha. Good news is there is no longer the malfunction. I believe i will give the dealer a call.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts