Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GTT Members,

I have a JD 4310 with a 72" MMM. This summer, I'd like to mulch my grass clippings as best as possible. Unless someone can suggest another option, I see only two: JD part no. TCB10951, the mulching kit for my 72" MMM at $356.00 and change, or the Gator Blades, part no. GBLADE 15 for around $63.81 for a set of three blades. Obviously, there is a HUGE cost difference.

My question, does any GTT member have experience with either or both of these options? I'm wondering what option will produce the best results.

Thank you for your time, and input,

Ed

·
Registered
151 Posts
No experience with that particular kit. But those two things are pretty different.

Gator blades will give you a little higher lift and a little recut. But they won't do near the job of a full baffle kit.

If you want a complete mulch with super fine clippings, you need the full kit.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the 72" deck on my Gen 1 2032R, I switched to Gator Blades last year. The cut nice and maybe the clippings are a little finer, but I would not consider this mulching.

·
Registered
25,349 Posts
On my 62” deck on my 2520 I have both a mulch kit and Gator blades. I use the blades that came with the mulch kit when that is on as they are a lot shorter than the standard or Gator blades.

The mulch kit has been an object of frustration for me. Most of the reason is part of my lawn area is always wet - as in the grass being wet. The mulch kit doesn’t work at all in wet grass.

I have much better luck with the Gator blades - I love them!

Also with the mulch kit you have to keep up with your mowing. I would have to mow 50% more often than I usually do to have it work.

I would suggest trying the Gator blades first. You might be pleasantly surprised at how well they work. Even if you decide to get a mulch kit later you can still use either. I find myself switching back and forth at certain times of the year depending on conditions.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Advice thusfar is sound. Gator blades are often talked about like they're a mulch kit without needing a mulch kit, which is just not true. Gator blades are high lift blades designed for rapidly side discharging clippings. They cut the clippings up significantly more than regular high lift mower blades. But they DO NOT mulch the grass down to dust where it disappears into the lawn. It is still blowing windrows of just smaller clippings out the side. Remarkably better than normal blades. I would never want to side discharge with anything else. Also, the G6 blades are beasts. I would run over small tree branches and hedge trimmings with them, and the junk basically gets eaten and gone.

An actual mulching kit with baffles and low lift blades is what makes clippings into dust that disappears into the lawn. If this is what you want, that is what you need. Like @coaltrain said, performance in very wet or very tall grass diminishes quickly. But that's true for mostly any mower and blade combination. I switched from gators to a mulch git 2 years ago and I would never want anything else for a normal lawn now. If you're constantly mowing very tall or wet grass, it may not be the best thing for you. If you can mow regularly when it's relatively dry, they're the cat's meow.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Sorry to add another non specific answer but:

For effective mulching you would need a whole kit or a mulch specific deck. I assume the kit has baffles that stops the outward flow of the clippings so they recycle to the center of the blades for reclipping.

The gator blades actually do not recommend using them with a mulching deck. That said I have used them both with side discharge and with the discharge blanked off. They didn't impress me as any better than my regular blades.

I considered trying gator blades for my 72" Ag Mate rear discharge finish mower but couldn't find any to fit. I discovered the blades for a 71" Caroni would fit and were actually a fraction of an inch longer so I went with those. Mulching is a non issue with the rear discharge since it doesn't leave much in the way of wind rows.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I saw a huge difference when I went from regular blades to Gator blades. I'd say the difference in what was coming out the discharge chute was at least 90% less and much finer with the gators.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I saw a huge difference when I went from regular blades to Gator blades. I'd say the difference in what was coming out the discharge chute was at least 90% less and much finer with the gators.
They definitely help, especially when side discharging and they're a big improvement over nothing. But they're definitely not in the class of a full mulch kit.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts